The dreaded weighing scales....i have some concerns!!

Options
Hey,
Just want to clear a few things up so i'll do it in point form.
OK
1. When is the best time to weigh?
2. How many times a week should you weigh yourself? (sometimes i get obsessive and do it everyday and lose hope if i dont lose a pound)
3. Should you weigh with clothes on?
4. Is there is specific day of the week you should weigh yourself? for example not on a sunday night or monday morning because of the weekend or something.

Any possible advice or answers would be much appreciated :)
thanks
x

Replies

• diehard412
    diehard412 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    hope this helps... its what I do :))

1. Morning for me
    2. this is hard. i try to do in once a week or ull drive urself crazy ;)
    3. i do it in shorts. but if you do it in cloths/shoes add 2or3 lbs.
    4. i used to do it thursday mornings :) right before I crash thursday nights. but now i do it saturday morning since that will help me focus on friday and saturday

Good luck :)
  • kingnatalie
    Options
    Here my two cents, or at least how and why I do it:
    I always weight in the morning after going to the bathroom, right before getting in the shower, Daily.

2. How many times a week should you weigh yourself? (sometimes i get obsessive and do it everyday and lose hope if i dont lose a pound)
    I weight myself every day, however I have picked only 1 day to weigh in (the day I actually put stats into mfp) - this helps me know if I am reaching my goal to lose 1 pound per week as I set up in my profile. I weight myself every day so that I can track if I am retaining water and know my high and low weight for the week. It makes me face and be accountable for any screw up I may do during the week, since I know I have to face the scale the next morning.

Clothes off - keeps things consistant.

4. Is there is specific day of the week you should weigh yourself? for example not on a sunday night or monday morning because of the weekend or something.
    I weigh in on Sunday, this way I am not cheating all weekend, the work week is relatively easy, with the weekend harder, so by having my official weigh in day on Sunday - I cannot cheat Friday or Saturday. Sunday I give myself 1 "free" meal - meaning it still needs to be semi-healthy or a small portion.
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I will answer from my point of view, not that is is THE answer.
    1. First thing in the morning - before I eat or shower but after I go to the bathroom. ;)
    2. I think once a week is a good plan though I am trying to get there - I obsess a little too much with checking the scale too though.
    3. I always weigh without any clothes on.
    4. I don't know that day matters, just as long as you are consistent about it. Right now I am with a mom's group doing a weight loss challenge and our weigh in days are tuesday mornings. I like that, not so close to the weekend. But honestly, as long as it is the same every week it will show your loss regardless.
  • JazzyMarie
    JazzyMarie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys!
    you've helped alot :)
    x
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    1) I weigh myself 1st thing in the morning right after i pee
    2) I only do it once a week
    3) I weigh in naked lol
    4) i do it depending on the day i started getting healthy....which wwas a thursday :)
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Pretty sure there is no right or wrong answer to your questions, but here is what I have been doing.
    I started my lifestyle dieting on a Monday morning, so I always weigh in on Monday mornings as soon as I get up, but right after using the toilet. I weigh naked because then I know there is no discrepancy on clothing weights. I write it on my bathroom mirror every Monday morning so I can chart my progress and I do NOT weigh again until the next Monday morning. So far I have been excited every Monday morning over my results.

361266.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    1) Weigh myself first thing in the morning after first bowel movements (#1 & #2)
    2) Once a week
    3) In my undies
    4) Usually Fridays cuz I'm in a group that has Friday weigh in, but so far my lightest day has been Saturdays.

I also wanted to say that I weigh in daily with my Wii Fit Plus, but only once a week on my home scale.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    Just want to clear a few things up so i'll do it in point form.
    OK

Any possible advice or answers would be much appreciated :)
    thanks
    x

1.) First thing in the morning before eating, drinking and after using the restroom
    2.) I weigh myself daily but I only count it or track it once a week on Monday mornings. If I gained a lb or ounces during the week, I don't care, I just like to see where I'm at.
    3.) I weight with clothes on because I am at work lol
    4.) I don't think this matters - pick a day
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    1) I weigh myself 1st thing in the morning right after i pee & before eating or drinking anything
    2) I only do it once a week
    3) I weigh in my panties & T-Shirt
    4) I do it on Monday's which was the start of my weight lose journey!
    Good Luck to you!!!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    1. I weigh in the morning, after going to the bathroom, before showering. Extra points if you can poop first! (Yes, I realize I talk about pooping a lot. Lol...)
    2. I weigh myself about three or four times a day! Hahaha. However, I do that only because I like to see how different things affect my body in different ways. Some people go crazy weighing themselves that often. I say: it depends on your attitude. If you can weigh yourself every day and see those continual fluctuations without going crazy, then go for it. Otherwise, do it once a week, bi-weekly, or even once a month. I only 'officially' weigh in once a week. THAT is the number I record when I 'check in'. All the other weigh-ins are strictly for my amusement.
    3. It depends- you want to be consistant from weigh-in to weigh-in. If you weigh in one day wearing a heavy sweater, for example, and then next time you're wearing a tank top and panties, of COURSE you're going to see a loss. I weigh-in wearing my underpants and a tank top.
    4. I usually weigh myself the day after a rest day. I do this because I find my muscles will retain water after a workout. On my rest days, I drink lots of water to flush out my system. That way, I don't have to worry (as much) about water weight skewing my weigh-in. Monday is my rest day so Tuesday mornings are my 'official' weigh-in days.