walking mph?

Options
How do you know how many mph you are walking to track your exercises? I usually guess. I guess I am wondering is there a formula like if you walk a mile in 20 minutes you are walking 2.5mph or 3mph? I just walked 2miles in my hilly neighborhood in 40 minutes and guessed it 3 mph because I felt I was walking pretty quick? Anyone know?

Replies

• jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Before I got my phone & installed Endomondo, I (we, my Wife & I) mapped out several courses that are 1 mile, and we time ourselves to those (mapped) miles. As it turns-out, we take 15 minutes to walk those miles, almost to the second, so I know that we walk at 4 mph. Endomondo confirms our speed.

Your math seems correct to me, 2 miles in 40 minutes would equal 3 miles in 60 minutes @ the same pace.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    http://www.arkansasrunner.com/calculators/mileperhr.htm

You can use mapmywalk.com to verify your distance.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2 miles in 40 minutes is 3mph.
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you walked 2 miles in 40 mins then you walked 1 mile in 20 mins and 3 x 20 = 60 (& 60 mins = 1hr) so you walked at 3 mph.

If you walk 1 mile in 15 mins then that is 4 mph etc...(because there are 4 x 15 mins in an hour...)

I've installed endomondo but the gps missed out the first 0.5 miles of my walk so didn't calculate the distance properly and so didn't calculate the speed so do check the map of your walk to make sure it logged it all.
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    How do you know how many mph you are walking to track your exercises? I usually guess. I guess I am wondering is there a formula like if you walk a mile in 20 minutes you are walking 2.5mph or 3mph? I just walked 2miles in my hilly neighborhood in 40 minutes and guessed it 3 mph because I felt I was walking pretty quick? Anyone know?

Divide the distance by the time to get mph. If you walk 1 mile in 20 min you get 1/.33 so 3 mph. 2 miles in 40 min gives you 2/.66 which is also 3 mph.
  • juniper7470
    Options
    There are online calculators if you want exact numbers but roughly, 1 mile in:
    15 min = 4 mph
    17 min = 3.5
    20 min = 3
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    There's an app for that. Seriously! I am an Android user, it's called Tracks. I'm sure there's one for iPhone too.

I find I usually walk ~3mph. Purposely trying to walk fast, I can get to an average of 3.5 mph, maybe 4 if I really want to look like a speed walker (goofy).
  • northerngem
    Options
    i love www.dailymile.com - you can track exactly where you went - it logs the km for you and your pace! Even a way up here in Northern Ontario, it has our streets on it! :)
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper is a good iPhone app. It can be used to not only track runs, but also walking (and bicycling and other activities). I use that to find out my speed and distance.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    u can use a treadmill or go to a local track.. on a tread i usually do 2.3 mph.. and then i looked online and found out the inner ring of a school track is a 1/4 mile... and i do 2 mph when real world walking ..lol but everybody else walks circles around me...never have been a fast walker.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

Divide the distance by the time to get mph. If you walk 1 mile in 20 min you get 1/.33 so 3 mph. 2 miles in 40 min gives you 2/.66 which is also 3 mph.
    Thank you, my math skills are lacking and I did a 20 min walk the other night and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to calculate. Much appreciated.
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i use mapmyrun.com they also have a burn calculator (figuring in age weight and height as well) which i like since i walk almost,but not quite 4 mph.. so i would have to log it here as 3.5.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I check my route on google maps (directions) and then I calculate how fast I walked by timing how long my walk took.
    So if I walked 1.5 miles in 30 min, I walked 3mph. If I walked 4 miles in 1 hour, I walked 4mph and so on.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Usually it takes the average person 20 minutes to walk 1 mile. If you're a fast walker or power walking, then that will be different of course. What you might want to do is get a pedometer and it will log the distance you've traveled. I have one that logs steps, aerobic steps (a pace that gets your heart pumping faster), calories and miles. It also has a clock on it so I can time it as well if I want (I generally just check the time on my phone when I leave and when I get back though).

Alternately you could map out x number of miles on a map around your neighborhood and just time from when you start and stop.

I do powerwalking (I have a knee injury so I can't job or run) and I mapped out 3 miles an hour route, a 4 miles an hour route and a 5 miles an hour route.
  • tafap1
    Options
    Hi pastabelly,
    i do walking and cycling and i use my andriod phone and i have downloaded an app called Endomondo pro which charts your progress, counts calories, it is a very good app hope this helps you.

Regards
    Dave
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    oops.:grumble:
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i love www.dailymile.com - you can track exactly where you went - it logs the km for you and your pace! Even a way up here in Northern Ontario, it has our streets on it! :)

Thanks for this info. It even has the old railroad trail that I like to walk on it! I had no idea how far I was walking. :happy:
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo Pro on my Android phone. I average about 2.9 to 3.2 mph while walking. The App is great it sync's up to my Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor and it charts my heart rate so I can figure out how to min/max calories.
  • homemomfreda
    Options
    I use the Digifit app on my iPhone - you an also use MapMyRun -they will calculate distance, speed & calories burnt (this isn't accurate - a HRM (heart rate monitor) is the most accurate).
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    iphone app!! I was walking faster than i thought