Festival Food

Options
I'm taking my kids to a festival today & I'm wondering if I should/could afford myself a treat? There is nothing I can think of that I think I HAVE to get, I'm sure there will be the standard cotton candy, fried dough, etc .... Any tips or ideas? How have you handled festivals? Have you indulged? (within reason) If so, on what and how did you calculate it?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I went to a carnival last weekend... I'm not a big fan of that kind of food. I like hot dogs, but not any more than I like the food I had at home. So I ate before I left. My son really wanted to eat there so I got him something to eat. Later on we got a funnel cake to share.. I only ate about 1/4 of it though.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone to any this year yet but if I do go to one that is coming up I'd be looking for a couple places in particular that have steamed vegetables and one that has lemon shakeups with honey instead of tons of sugar. I can't eat fried foods any longer so I'd skip them all together. Good luck
  • scottcale
    scottcale Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try popcorn....it's low in Calories. But you said it yourself, You don't HAVE to get anything.
  • Ginnyesq
    Options
    I would have a healthy meal before you go so you aren't tempted out of extreme hunger, then have a small protion of something. Preferebly not the fried dough though! Cotton candy is actually not insanely bad, especially if you don't eat a ton of it. Usually a large (whole cone) serving is like 300 calories so half of that would be a pretty reasonable indulgence.
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just had a hotdog (no onions, but with ketchup) at the last event I went to like that... and resisted the soda, ice-cream etc. All things in moderation. :)
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a little treat, it keeps you on the right path. When you feel you have to cut everything out forever, you lose inspiration.

Choose a festival/fair food that you don't normally have often or have never had before. Screw cotton candy and popcorn, it's so common and boring, go for a fried Oreo or funnel cake, something you can only get at a fair or have never had before. Why waste a treat on something as boring as spun sugar. LOL
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Well, for several years now I plan and take along a snack or two that I can enjoy at a festival like your describing. I love nuts and I will ocaisionally buy Pecans or cashews at a vendor if I really want a treat but the other foods no longer seem worth it or desirable. Then I log as usual.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I LOVE cotton candy, so I always find someone to share some with, because that's the one thing I CANNOT resist.

But if there isn't any cotton candy there, I just don't get anything. I'd just eat at home, and if you carry a purse, take a baggie of trail mix with you, just in case you get the munchies :)
  • diva7531
    diva7531 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I went to carnival last week and made the mistake of going hungry! I had a sausage and peper sandwich, but no matter what I went in knowing I was going to have fried oreos. I LOVE those things! You can total your walking calories for the day and have a small cheat.
  • Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Fried Oreos never had one of those.