Mayo

Options
Hi; I'm scared to try a 'vegan mayo' in case I don't like it. Can anyone suggest a brand (that I can get in Canada)? I've heard some of them are too oily or taste funny. I would eat real mayo, too, just want it to be low-cal!

Replies

• aznikigirl21
    Options
    I don't know if it's carried in Canada but the Mayo brand with Olive oil is really tasty and lower calories.
    Oh but I don't think it's vegan... Nevermind... Lol
  • gnme4243
    gnme4243 Posts: 120
    Options
    My absolute favorite is Vegenaise, and I am not a vegetarian, but I MUCH prefer this to any "regular" mayo I have ever had. It's not greasy or fatty tasting to me, and is creamy with a great flavor. I looked it up and it said you can buy from them direct in USA and Canada. Not sure if you can actually get some in a store there though as I am from the the states.

I like both the regular and grapeseed oil versions. Here is the website and info link http://www.followyourheart.com/products.php?id=3

Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • dixiegal2484
    dixiegal2484 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    i like the kraft mayo with olive oil. to me it tastes like "regular" mayo and has alot fewer calories.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the Veganaise (I'm in Canada as well) but I like the Kraft with olive oil.
  • danielleleee
    Options
    vegan mayo is horrible
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I use laughing cow (the creamy lotfat swiss cheese triangles) instead of Mayo. Its easy to spead and only has 35 cals per wedge plus if you put it on a burger or sandwich you dont have to add cheese either save tons of cals :drinker:
  • pocostef
    Options
    the cheese sounds yummy but I need the spread for a broccoli salad...sometimes I use thousand island instead and it seems to be lower in calories than straight mayo
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Try Kraft fat free honey dijion salad dressing or any fat free salad dressing get on salads and veggies
  • pocostef
    Options
    I ended up with calorie-wise miracle whip and it tastes awesome! Thanks for the tips.
  • jlgarcia85631
    jlgarcia85631 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have stuggled with the mayo situation as well. I'm the type of person, before dieting, that loved to slather on the sauce whatever it may be...mayo, mustard, ketchup, bbq sauce, soy, hot sauce... What I have found to work for me....

1. Hummus plain or flavored. In Place of mayo on sandwiches, hamburgers, wraps....ect. My favorite is Cedars Artichoke and spinach.
    2. When I feel I just have to have mayo... I use one of 2 kinds....but limit to one serving...which is usually a tablespoon.
    - Best foods mayo with canola or kraft mayo light....I think kraft one tastes better but the best foods i belive is slightly better.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    People say Veganaise tastes great, but do be careful, as it has just as many calories (90 per tbsp) as regular mayonnaise.

"Fat Free" mayonnaise substitutes aren't so great because they often just replace the fat with HFCS.

Personally, I have to agree with the others who have recommended the Best Foods Olive Oil Mayonnaise (50 cal), though the Canola has slightly better stats (45 calories and less sodium).
  • pocostef
    Options
    Has anyone tried Nayonaise? It looks like it's all oil...
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    Options
    The only one I can stomach anymore is Hellman's (Best Foods in some places) Canola Mayo. 45 cal a serving and heart healthy fats.