Polar FT4 Heart Rate Monitor - A Review.

Options

Replies

• mkim3138
    Options
    Would you recommend this for weight lifting?

yup, I use it for cardio and weight lifting

Thanks
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I got the exact same one recently. Yes it is very pink lol

Was loving it but the last few workouts it wouldn't pick up my heart rate. Tried wetting the straps again, readjusting the band. It's a PITA because each time it delayed me getting started while fiddling with it. When it did finally register my HR it read some insanely high number...200+ beats. That was impossible, double checked it manually and it was barely out of the 70's.

Maybe I got a defective unit :(

I don't know what'd cause something like this, other than the batteries, like the previous poster said - I've had to re-adjust the straps once after a few weeks, but I've never had problems like these. I think you should contact Polar - if it IS defective, there's a 2 year warranty on it, save for the batteries. :)

Yeah I think it's some wacky glitch in mine. It worked great for the first two weeks. Amazon has a great return/exchange policy so it will be going back for a new one. When it was working fine, it was very accurate.
  • kbubbles87
    kbubbles87 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I use it for weight lifting but I dont know how accurate it is. We burn calories all day, so if my HR isn't at the fat burning level I end up calculating naturally burned calories dont I?
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Would you recommend this for weight lifting?

Yes. I set a session for Gym Strength Training then stop the session when done. Then start another session for swimming or walking, running, dance, what ever as an 'Aerobics'. Session. That way, you know the stats for each session and can record them appropriately. I use the F7. I like the fact it shows Fat Burn and Fittness heart rates at a glance. Plus it records 99 sessions, before rolling over. Hope this helps.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not made for weight lifting.
  • ksavvy
    Options
    My FT4 is about 5 years old, and still going strong. I can't imagine my fitness routine without it! If Polar has kept the quality standards up, yours should keep on ticking well into the future!

Nice review, by the way.
  • shadea4455
    shadea4455 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I have the same one and I LOVE it! Nice review :)
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    i have the same one and i didnt know i was supposed to disconnect the wearlink from the strap when not using it! goes to show how much i read the manual! i will be doing this from now on. I have an FT7 thought but its basically the same deal.
  • hmb63383
    Options
    Thank you, great review! Very thorough too! I really want one... better start saving my allowance! LOL
  • jjl0412
    Options
    I use it for weight lifting but I dont know how accurate it is. We burn calories all day, so if my HR isn't at the fat burning level I end up calculating naturally burned calories dont I?

Yes we burn all day. And if you wear it all day you will see it fluctuate accordiong to activity. But while doing a work out with weights or gym equipment, your hr will boost above 'normal activity', plus you can stop and continue the same session if you cool down so much you fall out of the elevated Fat Burn. So in my opinion, starting a session, working out, then ending the session, can be considered calories exhausted in 'Strength' Training. Works for me.
  • jjl0412
    Options

I work out at a post gym, almost every one there uses an hrm, for everything they do.
  • kuzurichan
    Options
    Thank you so much, guys. I really appreciate that you're reading this. :D
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

I work out at a post gym, almost every one there uses an hrm, for everything they do.
    \

honestly stop posting nonsense that you know nothing about. you're giving out really bad information.
  • kuzurichan
    Options
    honestly stop posting nonsense that you know nothing about. you're giving out really bad information.

She's just posting her own experiences. Why not just write WHY it's a bad idea to use HRMs for weight-lifting, and leave it at that, rather than calling other users ignorant?
  • kbubbles87
    kbubbles87 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ok I just did some reading and HRM should only be used for aerobic exercises. Those who use it for weight lifting are using it to measure something with oxygen and muscles and bpm during downtime?? Dane if you know the answer please elaborate.
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have one too and love it. I've worn it swimming and it works fine in the water - FYI.

If you're getting bad HR readings, try cleaning the strap. I got the same error (231 BPM?!?!) and after a good cleaning the proper reading was restored. Batteries are supposed to last 1-2 years BTW.
  • lldem
    lldem Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for spending the time writing a review! I've been reading diff posts about HRMs and I would really like to have one! I run and always interested how far I go and cals I'm burning. So the gps would tell me distance? would that be the 7 that some are talking about not the 4 you have - Love the vibrant color btw!! Also I've started weight training, everything slow and low weights but I can feel my heart rate and the sweat dripping lol so I know I'm burning cals - How do you measure that if not with the HRM? Thanks again for all the positive explainations, it really help beginners understand w/o having to read all the text books lol
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I'm so glad to read this. :) Mine is somewhere between Arizona and here, and I can't wait - I keep checking the Amazon tracking every 10 minutes. :P
  • kuzurichan
    Options
    I'm so glad to read this. :) Mine is somewhere between Arizona and here, and I can't wait - I keep checking the Amazon tracking every 10 minutes. :P

Haha, I did that too! And I am currently doing the same with my FitBit as well!

I'm sure you'll love it, btw. :) I adore mine! :D
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Where can u buy the batteries and are they replaceable at home? I ordered mine yesterday and should get it Tuesday