Brain surgery for my AVM.

I don't know if I'm using this fear as an excuse to be lazy, or if my fear of Monday is really paralyzing me.

I have an appointment on Monday with a neurosurgeon. I posted about this before, but in short, I have an AVM (arteriovascular malformation in my brain) that was incidentally discovered after a bike accident. The neurologist couldn't tell how big it was and scheduled an MRA after looking at my MRI. He said I can keep running and biking...my next 5k race is October ( and I hit 179.8 lbs this morning. woot woot!

I got a call yesterday from the neurosurgeon's nurse telling me to be there earlier and to check into the hospital for an angiogram. The angiogram is a more invasive, yet specific diagnostic procedure. My best friend keeps telling me not to worry about what I don't know, and I'm trying, but I am worried about what the neurosurgeon saw on that MRI that the neurologist didn't see. I do know there has been a leak, and it is in the mid frontal lobe. I described a headache that had been the worst and strangest of my life, and I am a migraine sufferer. She told me to figure out what day that was, so I went through leave forms and it was February 13, 2012. I missed work because I couldn't see well, and I was unsteady on my feet. I didn't go to the doctor though I thought my right eyeball would pop out.

Anyway, I'm going to put my running gear on and try to head out. Writing this post may have helped me work through it. I have another post asking how to improve my 5k finish time.

Thanks for reading this and feel free to add me as a friend.

Brenda

Replies

• ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,978 Member
    I totally understand being scared. I've had more angiograms than I can remember. I've also had a few angioplasties. The angiograms are not painful, and will tell the dr. everything they need to know. Try your best to relax and get some rest in before your procedure. I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much. Go about your routine as you usually would.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
  • Hi Brenda,

You are strong enough to bear all this and you are strong enough to make your goals. Some day's goals may be smaller than others. I know I have bad days. Double mastectomy 4 years ago and 15 months of treatment.
  • MMark2012
    MMark2012 Posts: 143 Member
    Brenda, I just saw this on Sunday from a post on Saturday, sept 15th. I would say not to worry. You should be as relaxed as possible. I know you will find answers.
    It is my sincere hope that anything not meant to be in our brain, has "shrunk, or dissappeared" from yours.
    My thoughts and prayers are on you! Please keep your MFP friends informed if you can!:smile: