How much exercise do you do per week?

Options
I try to fit in exercise everyday but I am just curious as to how much everyone else exercises per day or per week? and how much cardio type of exercise you might recommend daily?

Replies

• Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I had a long way to go, so I go pretty hard, but I am usually exercising about 6 - 9 hours per week.

It's kind of an individual thing. You'll probably get answers all over the map.

What are your goals? Weight loss, muscle building? How much weight do you plan to lose - if that is your goal? Those things added might get you better, more tailored recommendations. :)
  • brandon17013
    brandon17013 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give is listen to your body. Depending on your overall goal... 4-5x a week could be too much. I lift 4x a week with enough intensity that I am beat up hard at the end of the hour (or so). I can mix in a few lower intensity cardio sessions a week and still recover, HIIT kills my recovery, and I become overtrained after a cpl weeks. Just pay attention to you progress.... and you will know how much you can take :-)
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    6-7 days a week. Gotta keep active =) Normally its Cardio unless my friend wants to goto the gym and lift. When it comes to lifting we do different area's day to day.

Day 1 = Back & Arms
    Day 2 = Chest & Shoulders
    Day 3 = Legs and Midsection
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I've been mixing up the type of exercise a lot lately, but I work out 20-60 minutes 6-7 days per week. I plan for a rest day, but I'm so used to exercising now that I get a little stir crazy if I don't do something. Even a 20 minute yoga video helps.
  • nevaeh1984
    Options
    I've seen a lot of stuff recommending a 30 minute stint 5 times a week... I don't work out everyday, but when I do, it's a 90 minute or 2 hour affair. So I'm guessing about 6 to 8 hours a week of Zumba, TRX, walking/running.

Having said that, I only use public transport (Tokyo baby!) so I walk a lot more than those that have a car.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 3 times a week. I don't do any cardio... I would maybe one time a week if I had more free time but I don't. It's hard enough to find time to go to the gym just those 3 times. I have to go late at night after my son is asleep. I just can't seem to make myself get up and go at 5am before work... plus the locker room at my gym sucks and I hate showering there.
  • chrissy198727
    chrissy198727 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    6 times a week: one to two hours per day..depending on how I feel I mix my routine with different activities.
  • elishazf
    elishazf Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    30-60 minutes a day. I do cardio everyday (boxing and running) for about 30 minutes, then I add basic things like pushups, plank, plank pushups and every other day I lift
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I feel like a slacker after reading these responses. i work out 4-5 times a week for an hour. I do a Jillian Michaels dvd that is circuit training with weights for 40 minutes, then take my dog on a 20 minute fast walk.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I workout 5 days a week. I do cardio, usually running, 3 or 4 days a week. So most days I double up, workout in the morning, run at night. I like to break it up that way.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Run about 270 minutes spread over 6 days of running. Lift twice - complex joint exercises in the 5 rep range. Usually squats, Bench, chin-ups, etc.. Do some core work and leg exercises 4 days.

I do all of this for racing purposes.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    2 hours of frisbee (2 60 minute games/week)
    heavy lifting 3-4 times/week at about 35 minutes per visit
    and i work in a high-paced retail store, so i get equivalent to 30-45 minutes of cardio over the course of my 8 hour shifts
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Heaps.
  • rockchalk03
    Options
    60 minutes of jazzercise 5 times a week. According to my HRM, I burn 500-650 calories per workout.
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I actually workout 7 days a week but only because I work part-time in a gym (5 days a week). The other 2 days I find something outdoors, mostly running. It's become something I didn't even realize until I saw this post and thought about it.
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I do 4 in gym workouts consisting of jim wendler 5/3/1 along with 1-2 sprint sessions on off days. As long as the weather stays nice I like to walk for 30 min every night listening to music on my ipod. I find that it is a nice way to clear my head because it is hard for me to go rate from class to homework. The little break in between really helps me out.