Can a 45 min walk burn 230 Cals?

Options
Just got my fitbit. Got back from walking my dog and that's what it's put into MFP as a adjustment. In MFP I have my activity level set to sedentary as I like the idea of seeing an adjustment. I am 5ft 7 and weigh 150pounds. Could this walk burn so many calories???

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Just though about seeing what it would be if I added it as an exercise and it was around that value. I'm amazed. DEFINITELY going to get out more!!!
  • nevaeh1984
    Options
    I'm shorter but weigh about the same...

There's walking and there's "walking", but it seems perfectly normal to me. I usually average 250cal for a 45 minute walk.

I use another app for walking, it's called runkeeper, so I just went to check my recent walks and found something comparable:

Distance: 4.34 km
    Duration: 44 minutes
    Average Speed: 5.91 km/h
    Calories: 246 calories

I use a heart rate monitor for the calories and the runkeeper app for the distance/speed. The calories the app suggested were actually much higher: 324, but I trust my HRM more than the app for calorie counting.

Hope this helps :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Depending on how fast you are walking, 230 cal is easy to burn in that amount of time.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    My 40 min walk yesterday wearing my FT4 recorded a calorie burn of 237 calories so I would say that your reading is pretty accurate. Even a 30 min walk w/my dog when we are starting/stopping for her to "smell the roses" usually gets me around a 180 calorie burn.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    My adjustment now says over 1000 Cals for 1200 steps. If this is correct, I've been seriously under eating when I've been dieting. Is it correct????
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Yes you can i can burn more than that in 1/2 but i do wear a hrm
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    sure!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    The Fitbit adjustment is what it calculates over MFP. Since your MFP setting is sedentary, you get a large adjustment. If you change your activity level to lightly active, the adjustment will be smaller.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    230 is definitely possible depending on your personal stats and how fast you were walking. The average is about 120 calories per mile, give or take a little.

What adjustment are you talking about? I'm confused with your 1,000 number because there's no way you burned 1,000 walking for 45 minutes - that does seem unreasonable.
  • svcraig
    Options
    When MFP synchronizes with FitBit, the initial calorie adjustment is calculated on the assumption that you will constantly remain that active for the rest of the day. As time goes on and you go back to your average activity level, you'll see the calorie adjustment get smaller. Personally I think its annoying!
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks svcraig. Thought it couldn't be that. I've taken of the calorie estimation thing. Should I out it back on?
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Jrdotty - that adjustment is for the whole day
  • svcraig
    Options
    Thanks svcraig. Thought it couldn't be that. I've taken of the calorie estimation thing. Should I out it back on?

I wouldn't worry about it. The sites do their own thing when they synchronize!
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Definitely possible and will be affected by factors such as pace, starting and stopping and terrain (obviously gonna be working a bit harder when going uphill!)
  • jaz050465
    Options
    When MFP synchronizes with FitBit, the initial calorie adjustment is calculated on the assumption that you will constantly remain that active for the rest of the day. As time goes on and you go back to your average activity level, you'll see the calorie adjustment get smaller. Personally I think its annoying!

It's now a new day and it hadn't changed.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    There has been a problem with fitbit not syncing properly. Are you recording your walk manually? If you are it will (at the moment) record your exercise twice. Don't manually record anything (only food via mfp). Let the fitbit do it's thing. That is what it is best at.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    No but I did manually record about 200 cals for my Body Revolution DVD. Is there anyway I can check if it's double entered it.
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I don't understand my Fitbit. On MFP I have my activity level set at sedentary. I am 5'4" 137 lbs. 68 years old so slower metabolism but still...I have logged 7.47 miles today. One walk was 90 minutes and I covered 4.5 miles. I am showing a Fitbit adjustment of 250 calories.