I've lost 6lbs in the first 2.5 weeks? ?

Options
I didn't believe the scales so I went to try on some clothes in the closet. Jeans are looser. Stuff that was too small this past summer is now zipping up. Tight, but zipping- and a few weeks ago they would not even button. Still not believing it, I took measurements. An inch off the waist, hips same, inch off the thigh and half inch off the calf. Arms and bust remain the same.

Is this water weight? I thought you were only supposed to loose 1pd a week. I am eating back most of my calories and walking 20-45 minutes every day. I am guessing this is just something that happens in the beginning but will taper off to something closer to a pound a week soon?

thanks

Replies

• WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Its unfortunate, but yeah, should slow down some. Be sure to eat the calories recommended for you though! That is a great loss for the time. 1-2 pounds is average and safe. Considering where you said you lost inches, a good bet is that some of it was water weight. Keep it up!
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Its unfortunate, but yeah, should slow down some. Be sure to eat the calories recommended for you though! That is a great loss for the time. 1-2 pounds is average and safe. Considering where you said you lost inches, a good bet is that some of it was water weight. Keep it up!

I think it might have been water weight- I have really been watching my salt and trying to eat allot less of it. Has any one else lost fast and then slowed down? I don't feel hungry or tired and my diary is always at, slightly above or slightly below give or take 100 cals so nothing drastic.
  • argenterie
    argenterie Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I think it might have been water weight- I have really been watching my salt and trying to eat allot less of it. Has any one else lost fast and then slowed down? I don't feel hungry or tired and my diary is always at, slightly above or slightly below give or take 100 cals so nothing drastic.

I lost like 8 pounds in the first month, then slowed to 0.5 pounds a week for the past 2 months. Mostly the beginning appeared to be water weight, and maybe some belly fat, in my case. But keep it up!! :)
  • OK_Girl
    Options

I lost like 8 pounds in the first month, then slowed to 0.5 pounds a week for the past 2 months. Mostly the beginning appeared to be water weight, and maybe some belly fat, in my case. But keep it up!! :)

Love the henna!
  • coll05
    coll05 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic...I really wouldn't worry about losing quick the first couple months...I've been to slimming clubs before and i've seen people lose 7lb in their first week.

Keep it up x
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Unfortunate? WTH, this is great and NORMAL for the first few weeks, You lose water with your fat at first:) Excellent job, keep going just know that it will slow down:)

Also, depending on your weight, you can safely lose more than 1-2 lbs. The one negative on MFP is BAD ADVICE:) Keep that in mind on your journey!!!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I lost 14lb in the first month. Make the most of it (as long as you're eating properly) and don't worry!
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    Options
    Don't feel disappointed about losing water weight. A lot of people say "it's JUST water weight" like it counts for nothing. It counts! Having water retention hanging out in your body is not ideal. When you flush that retained water away it makes your body work better. Just like it works better when there is less fat hanging around. Also, it makes a difference in how you look, feel, and how your clothes fit. So don't ever be disappointed if someone tells you something like "You just started so it's JUST water weight". Keep at it! Get plenty of exercise so that you only lose fat and not muscle. Way to go!! :)
  • Erika1962
    Erika1962 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it, the first week or two you lose a lot of water, especially if you reduce refined carbs in your diet, I lost 14.8 lbs my first WEEK!!!
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    yes - I started quickly, too - 10.2 lb the first week, then another 1,2 lb the 8th day and has been that for three days now
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I lost 7lb first week I went gluten free that's my best record! 18lb that first month then 16lb following month ...eventually went down to 2lb a month then nothing! Make the most of it..it gets harder to come off!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I lost 4.1 pounds the first week. Since then, I've averaged 2 pounds a week. Still not sure what to make of that since I'm set to 1 pound a week, except that all these calculators online to figure out BMR and TDEE etc are JUST calculators and not an actual test of me personally. But, I'll take it for sure! :drinker:
  • Ceres77
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd week...I lost 4 pounds the first week, and 1 pound each week after that. It's pretty normal. I shed a lot of water and bloating when I started hydrating properly and eating more fresh foods. And at least now I know those single pound losses are real fat loss! :-)
  • OK_Girl
    Options
    I have been peeing ALLOT. But to me my body doesn't look any different. I know this is just the beginning- I've not been doing it long enough to see my muscles change or the fat melt away- but it was a pleasant surpise, and wonderful encouragement that I think, I really can keep this up! thanks ladies.
  • LADYDEBORAH1984
    LADYDEBORAH1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i lost 7lb in my first week and now ive lost 11.4lb total since starting about 4 weeks ago! dont know about water weight but it makes you feel good that youve lost a bit!!