Pearls of wisdom from runners please... : )

Options
Afternoon everyone - I'm going to run my first half marathon in the morning and wanted to collect any pearls of wisdom before the big event from those in the know!

Some info...
- It's trail & fairly hilly
- I have been training intensively for around 6 weeks and running often for about 2-3 years.
- I have run 21k once previously, though on road.
- It's at 10.30 am tomorrow & I plan to have breakfast (porridge & a banana) at about 8am.
- I'm feeling nervous (probably more because I haven't done any races before).
- I have had 2 days rest from running prior to tomorrow.

Eeeeek! :tongue:

Replies

• wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Start at an effort you feel you could maintain for the full half. This is your first one, so no need to go too fast and suffer needlessly if you make a mistake on pace. Save that mistake for after you know you can do them well and you're learning where you limits are.

Nothing new on race day. Shoes, clothes, food, drink should all be familar.

Have fun!
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    frome what you have said I think you will do very well as you done the trainning but like said run at a pace you are comfortable at and enjoy the day and good luck you will do well
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    sounds like everything's in place for a wonderful race. enjoy.

make sure to go out slow (it's easy to get excited and take off too fast), then speed up after several miles if you feel great.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are ready. Make sure you do a good warmup just prior to the start and maintain good hydration before, during and after the race.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • EdgyMcSterious
    Options
    Run your race. Don't go out too fast and just try to enjoy it. Have fun and good luck!!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    as long as you're prepared, trained hard, you're ready to go...make sure you don't change anything like wearing brand new shoes or clothing etc..and use the bathroom before the start.

good luck and have an awesome time!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    have a high carb meal tonight-lots and lots of water
    no slow songs on your playlist
    don't go out to fast-run YOUR race.
    carry a 'runners" towel to wipe sweat from your face (wish I would have remembers that one for my first)

and remember-your a winner when you cross the finish line! (no matter what your time is)