great WebMD slideshow on bad exercises to do

Options
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/ss/slideshow-9-least-effective-exercises

I agree with all of them. I especially agree with the weight belt thing. I see people in the gym doing bench presses using a weight belt. What???

Replies

• x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Thanks for the link, Banks! I have a question for you though, I was under the impression that squats are supposed to be done with the hips dropping below parallel, not keeping the knees at the 90 angle. Are there two schools of thought on this and is one better than the other or is it just personal preference?
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Converse are good for squatting and DL, so that's slightly misleading
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I LOVE WEIGHT BELTS! I know, I know. They CAN be bad if you have a weak core but when you're squatting 2x your bodyweight it's pretty useful.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link, Banks! I have a question for you though, I was under the impression that squats are supposed to be done with the hips dropping below parallel, not keeping the knees at the 90 angle. Are there two schools of thought on this and is one better than the other or is it just personal preference?

they were talking about seated leg presses, not squats. The main things to be aware of with squats are a straight spine (through the whole spine, I.E. the neck should be straight with the back) and you don't "roll" your butt, which means that when you reach the point at the bottom of the squat where your tail bone starts to "curl" (your lower back will start to form a slight hump) downward, then you've gone to far as now you're engaging your lower back and core muscles for primary movers, that's bad as those muscles weren't designed for high load, they are stabilizers only (it's why people develop lower back problems when lifting things badly).

Basically with a squat, your shoulders should go straight up and down, your eyes should focus on a spot about a foot above your head on the wall in front of you and stay focused (this will keep your neck straight), you should perform the squat as if you're trying to sit in a small chair, the weight should be on your heels and the minute your butt curls you should stop, make a note of your knee angle, and not go that far the next time (do this with light or no weight, sideways to a mirror). As your gluts and quads (and hamis, and calves) get stronger, you'll be able to go lower, but that doesn't happen immediately.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options

they were talking about seated leg presses, not squats. The main things to be aware of with squats are a straight spine (through the whole spine, I.E. the neck should be straight with the back) and you don't "roll" your butt, which means that when you reach the point at the bottom of the squat where your tail bone starts to "curl" (your lower back will start to form a slight hump) downward, then you've gone to far as now you're engaging your lower back and core muscles for primary movers, that's bad as those muscles weren't designed for high load, they are stabilizers only (it's why people develop lower back problems when lifting things badly).

Basically with a squat, your shoulders should go straight up and down, your eyes should focus on a spot about a foot above your head on the wall in front of you and stay focused (this will keep your neck straight), you should perform the squat as if you're trying to sit in a small chair, the weight should be on your heels and the minute your butt curls you should stop, make a note of your knee angle, and not go that far the next time (do this with light or no weight, sideways to a mirror). As your gluts and quads (and hamis, and calves) get stronger, you'll be able to go lower, but that doesn't happen immediately.

So, if I'm going all the way down to where my thighs touch my calves I'm going too far? Sorry, I'm new to this whole lifting thing and just trying to make sure I don't injure myself.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

So, if I'm going all the way down to where my thighs touch my calves I'm going too far? Sorry, I'm new to this whole lifting thing and just trying to make sure I don't injure myself.

not necessarily, that's simply a question of flexibility, but if you're losing your form when you do it you are. Do your squats in front of a mirror or video them (always from the side though, the front of a squat doesn't tell you much). If you're spine is straight, you have
    your weight on your heels (never squat on your toes, that's bad form), and you're not rolling your butt, then you can go as deep as is comfortable.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    I LOVE WEIGHT BELTS! I know, I know. They CAN be bad if you have a weak core but when you're squatting 2x your bodyweight it's pretty useful.

This is from a certified US Olympic weight lifting coach (me), squatting should very rarely require a weight belt, only when you are attempting to increase your range of motion, or try a new type or weight should you need it. If you can't squat a weight with good form and no risk of injury, then you shouldn't be performing the squat (other than the above valid reasons). This, of course, goes only for folks that are in good health. If' you're returning from something medical, that's different.

If your squatting 2x your body weight, and your core can't take it, you should be doing more core. Please don't mistake anything I'm saying here for being rude or mean, I mean this in all sincerity. Squats are a fantastic routine (in my top 3 for weight bearing exercises), but are also technically difficult, especially at high weight. Most people try to do to much to fast. Mainly because most people can handle the actual weight, but don't realize that you need to stabilize your spine when lifting, and your legs and gluts aren't stabilizers, that's core, and that's dangerous if the core is weak. On the up side, core strength is increased far faster than explosive muscle strength.
    And the problem with a weight belt is 2 fold, 1) it means you could hurt yourself with THAT routine, but 2) it also means your core is weaker than it needs to be (by definition) and that you probably aren't focusing on it. Core is SO IMPORTANT. Even with the notice core strength is finally getting now, it's still undervalued IMHO.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Converse are good for squatting and DL, so that's slightly misleading

why would that be misleading? I don't understand. All it says is to choose the right footwear for the exercise you're doing, it doesn't mention any particular brand. Which is always good advice.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I don't use them all the time but I have. I do like them though--currently not using one at all.