How to log fitness?

Options
I need some assistance if anyone could help. I am 297 lbs and I did my first circuit of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and I am not sure how to log it. I see there is a circuit training option on here but not sure if that's really fitting for me. My moves were definitely modified and there were times I had to stop for a moment but I got back to it and finished!!

Anyone know how I would log this??

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    buy a HRM
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    buy a HRM

best way to do it
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Do what you want. This is what I do.

It doesn't really matter as none of the calorie burns are very accurate. It is insignificant when you don't have to worry about starvation mode anymore (if you are over 12% BF) and it's highly over rated. Of course you burn energy, but not nearly what any of the devices say you do.

Separating out the the two things worked for me:

1) Eat less to lose fat.

2) Exercise to gain or maintain lean body mass.

I log exercise to keep a log of time spent exercising, but ignore the calories.
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    HRM----Polar FT4...my best investment EVER....
  • losingw8now
    losingw8now Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I need some assistance if anyone could help. I am 297 lbs and I did my first circuit of Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and I am not sure how to log it. I see there is a circuit training option on here but not sure if that's really fitting for me. My moves were definitely modified and there were times I had to stop for a moment but I got back to it and finished!!

Anyone know how I would log this??

I have had the same problem - did Zumba today. If we don't already own a HRM and it may be a bit before we get one - how do we log our exercise? I see other people have things like Zumba and Curves come up on theirs but I don't see them in the database.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a Heart Rate Monitor then sometimes you just have to guessimate the calorie burn. Use the Circuit Training option and if you feel you burned less that round down, if you feel you burned more round up.
    You can also create your own exercise, this is most likely what others are doinb if you do not see it in the data base.
  • kvalmera
    kvalmera Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Do what you want. This is what I do.

It doesn't really matter as none of the calorie burns are very accurate. It is insignificant when you don't have to worry about starvation mode anymore (if you are over 12% BF) and it's highly over rated. Of course you burn energy, but not nearly what any of the devices say you do.

Separating out the the two things worked for me:

1) Eat less to lose fat.

2) Exercise to gain or maintain lean body mass.

I log exercise to keep a log of time spent exercising, but ignore the calories.

Well I never eat back my calories so it's not really about logging them calorie wise but it would be nice to have something close. I am not needing it to be dead on, just close. So while I don't ignore the calories, I do not eat them back either.
  • Bigfla
    Bigfla Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi, Sorry I've no idea who Jillian Michaels is or what a 30 day shred is supposed to be; sounds a bit quirky for me...30 days, eh...mmmm....might want do the old reality check...

Two things here, first is how you record fitness, second is how you measure exercise.

I have included in my list of measures in my MFP site, my systolic and diastolic blood pressures, my waist measurement and my at-rest heart rate. These are measures of fitness. All have improved dramatically since I started MFP in Jan this year. I get the nurses at our GP Centre to measure my BP from time to time.

Now for exercise...

MFP's database of exercise equivalents is OK but it's not good enough for what I wanted. I focus my exercise on aquarobics and walking but there are heaps of other calorie burning opportunities that I log such as car washing and shopping.

A word of caution first though: daily targets in MFP are based on a lifestyle selection (eg sedentary) that presumably takes some level of activity into account, so apply common sense to adding anything extra.

OK, here goes..both are smart phone apps...but then to me, it's my smart phone that makes the whole MFP thing so brilliantly effective... I couldn't do it on a computer alone, simple as that, too hard, not in my hand, not instant... If you haven't got a smart phone, sacrifice something to get one, is my advice :flowerforyou: .

If you use an iPhone, you need Nike + to track your walking, running, cycling, etc. An equivalent for Android is Garmin Fit. These apps use GPS and Google maps to track where you've been and tell you how many calories you've burned on the basis of your weight, speed and times during the exercise itself.

The second app is called HealthCalc. It includes great database of activities to include all the gym-junky stuff. And again, once you've told it your weight it calculates calories on the basis of time spent doing the activity.

You can load up your own MFP site with the info from both these apps, but you do have to update them with your weight as MFP doesn't communicate with them directly.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Ian
  • kvalmera
    kvalmera Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels was the trainer used in the tv show "The Biggest Loser". Her 30 Day Shred is a DVD of her cardio/ab/strength circuit training levels. I am not using it for JUST 30 days, but for me at 297 lbs, it's a good way of getting something extra in, in addition to walking. I have been doing no strength training so this is refreshing for me. One workout and I am definitely feeling the pain so I know its working. My plan is to alternate walking and the DVD. As I said I didn't buy it for JUST 30 days but as a progressive DVD to use as I myself progress.

I do have a smartphone, doesn't everyone these days? Thanks for the app suggestions. I have a pedometer I use but never thought about an app on my phone. Will check it out, thanks!
  • michelle_w_04
    michelle_w_04 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've always logged it under "Circuit Training-general". Some say the calories are a bit overestimated but it should give you a rough idea of what you're burning.