Meet me 60+ and overweight

Options
I have spent a lifetime of dieting. My closet has had clothes ranging from size 9 to 26 so you know my weight has been all over the scale. I was always a "chubby" kid and I started to diet in earnest in my 20's and from there it was up and down. Sometimes I could keep the weight off for up to 3 years at a time when I had group support, but without it I could binge like crazy. I am hoping that this site will help me with it's easy access to charts and "talking" to people. I will be on a lot looking for motivation and I hope to be able to give support to others. Right now I want to lose about 40 pounds ( I already lost 4 before joining here).:love:

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP

:flowerforyou: This is a great site. Take the time to learn about all the great features and use them.
    You will succeed if you work hard and don’t lose sight of your goal.
    This site changed my life and it can change yours

Take it one day at a time
    Stay open minded to new ideas
    Take baby steps
    Drink lots of water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

:flowerforyou: Think of this as a new way of life, not just a temporary diet.

:flowerforyou: It always helps me to log my food first before I eat so there are no surprises.

:flowerforyou: Find a group to be part of and check in with them every day. The best way to find a group is to go to the message boards and read a lot of the threads until you find a group that has what you want, then reply and say you want to join and then participate regularly with them and get to know them. My groups are 50+ women and senior golden sneakers.
  • madexerciser1
    Options
    I have also struggled with my weight all my life. I did lose 50 pounds and have managed to keep it off for over a year. Recently, though I see it creeping back up and I am in a panic. My success was largely due to mass quanities of exercise, but back issues have reduced the amount of exercise I can do. I am also looking for support and challenges to keep me on course. Hopefully we can help each other.
  • sandylray
    sandylray Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting. I'm trying to lose 70 pounds. I want to fit in my wedding dress on my 10 year anniversary.... Like you, I lost 50 pounds about 15 years ago, but after getting married and having twins I gained a lot of weight. This time I'm serious about losing the weight :)
  • DiannaL1950
    Options
    Thanks so much for the support and the ideas. I like the idea of the 50+ group and I will look into that. I have trouble getting into the water and I am indeed a slacker for the exercise.
  • mylifeloss
    Options
    I just joined, a friend convinced me that I must count calories and this site makes that task surprisingly easy. I have done the jo-jo thing with 10 lbs but have been 80 lbs overweight for a long time. My intermediate goal is to drop 40 lbs before April. A planned trip is my motivation but i could sure use help from community members.