Getting Family To Eat Whole Wheat

Options
I know I'm not the only one (or at least I hope I'm not) that is trying to be healthy with a partner who doesn't care. My partner is hubby. I want to incorporate more whole grain into our meals... he flat our refuses. He whines that it tastes different and he doesn't like it. So rice, bread, pasta, ect is all white. He is soooo stubborn about it and I don't know what to do!

Any tips or other ranters would be appreciated! :)

Replies

• SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Tell him to make his own meals then, since that is what you will be cooking with ;)
  • geisharunner219
    Options
    Tell him to make his own meals then, since that is what you will be cooking with ;)

LOL! That might work! ;)
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

This ^^^ If your cooking then he eats what you make or goes to bed hungry... just like my 3 year old LOL
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Some of it depends on what you are making. The flavor of thick whole grain pasta can be really nutty and overpowering to a dish so I buy whole grain angel hair for things like spaghetti. I have done half and half for pasta salads before.
  • nis75p06
    Options
    Around here, she who does the cooking gets to decide what to cook! If the SO doesn't like brown rice or whole wheat pasta or other healthier alternatives then I'd hand him the apron and spoon and tell him to go for it! Just make sure you eat whatever he cooks :) I promise it won't take long until he's happily gone back to letting you plan and execute meals!

This works for me, anyway. The men in the house cooked hotdogs and mac & cheese tonight. I ate it without complaint (since i knew dinner would be something unreasonable, I planned ahead and limited calories earlier in the day) but I also won't tolerate complaints about the meals I prepare. They can either eat them, or go hungry or fix dinners for themselves!
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    For the most part, if my husband makes a comment, I tell him that when he starts to do the grocery shopping, then he can buy what ever he wants. That usually keeps him quiet. With the exception of spaghetti. I cave with him on that one.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Mix the whole wheat with regular pasta, gradually increasing the whole wheat ratio. Also, use a red sauce with the whole wheat. Sometimes, if they can't see that it looks different, they don't notice the taste difference. At least, that works with my brother-in-law. :)
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I really dislike whole wheat pasta. The Ronzoni Smart Taste is a good middle ground.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I am a severely gluten intolerant. My mom broke down and bought some GF noodles for a family get together so I wouldn't have to bring my own food. She told me first thing, "I am never going back to regular pasta again. These noodles taste so much better and are lower in calories." They are made with brown rice. Super yummy.
  • OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I find that if you approach men with a choice to be healthy and not try and force it onto them with ultimatums, they are generally more amiable to trying new things and changing their diets. Have you tasted whole wheat pasta? I find Its not very nice and is very different from regular pasta.

I am not surprised he doesn't want to eat it. My husband doesn't care for it, so I don't cook it. I use pasta that has added vegetables in it- and we can tolerate that. Some women are comfortable with cooking only what they want, but my husband pays the bills and buys the food so I cook him what he likes and some days I cook what I like. But I never cook anything he hates and tell him eat it or go hungry. That is immature and disrespectful and is no way to get a person to make positive changes.

I get him to try new things. He is always willing to try. If he doesn't like it, I thank him for being open minded enough to try it.

As far as bread goes- I don't bother with bread any more. Most of it is so full of 'cellulose gum' xanthan gum, powedered oat / soy fiber I don't mess with it.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Blind fold him, or tell him he doesn't get to watch TV if he doesn't finish his whole grain's.:wink:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    My mom is just as stubborn and my dad tried to switch her over so I suggested whole grain white bread and she likes it. Wonder's is pretty good. As for the pasta...is your husband involved with the cooking? If not, sneak the whole grain pasta in and cover it with lotsa sauce...he'll never know the difference lol
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I found that if I treat Mr Shiny and the teenagers like very small children (ok, I'll say it - like cranky babies) and hide the nutrition I can get in a lot of healthy stuff. Once they have had something a few times, I'll let them know and I get alot of "wow I never thought I would like (whatever)".

For whole grains - if they can't SEE that it looks different, they haven't been able to taste a difference. I started by mixing regular penne or rigatoni with whole grain, gradually increasing the percentage of whole grain, and didn't let them see the whole grain packaging. I also add stuff to sauces - shredded carrots, zuchini, really anything will work in a nice red pasta sauce. My kids now like brown rice and think white rice is "too soft and bland", but it's still a work in progress with Mr Shiny. He'll eat brown rice in stir fries, etc but his preference is still white rice, but he knows that if we're having rice I make brown rice and if he wants white rice he'll have to make it himself.

I mix grains - like oatmeal, brown rice, bulgur - into anything using ground turkey, chicken, or beef. I try to avoid any non- organic meat, so it also helps keep the cost down by streching the number of servings.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    These are some interesting posts. One thing to consider, and this is something I always try to consider and has served me well in 10 years of marriage, is this a hill you want to die on? Is fighting over whole grains really worth it? White rice every once in a while isn't going to kill anyone.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    White rice is so bland.. I can't imagine anyone being passionate enough about their white rice that they would insist on it for long.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    I HATE whole wheat pasta. It is just nasty. I have switched to whole grain breads and brown rice (for the most part).

That said, what is the big deal? So your hubby doesn't like them. *Shrug* Is this a battle you really want to fight? Why does he have to change just because you want to change? It's not right to force it on him. He is not a child. He should have some say in what you all eat.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My husband eats what I cook, but I'd never force him to eat something he really didn't like. Hes an adult, he can make his own choices. If I liked whole wheat bread, and he liked white, I would buy both. Not a huge deal honestly. My husband has to make his own health choices, I can't force him to do anything he doesn't want to do.
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Speaking only for my house and my husband - if there is anything he truly doesn't like, I don't make it for him. But his resistance to eating healthier that had no basis? Yeah, not so much. And for him - he's lost 35 lbs and 3 pants sizes and his blood pressure is back in the healthy range, as are his various sugar numbers. It matters alot - bad numbers and he doesn't get his medical certificate, no medical certiificate and he loses his job ---- so at our house, it's not just "shrug" if he thinks he doesn't like something just because he hasn't tried it.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have one of those. It's a pleasant little power fantasy to think you can just say "eat it or go hungry" or "eat it, or do your own cooking" -- unfortunately, yeah, happy little fantasy world doesn't work in the real world. Not unless I wanted to divorce over white vs. wheat bread. I liked the way the other poster put it: this is not a hill I want to die on.

So. I will try new things, and sometimes they work, and sometimes they don't. The white bread with whole grains? No-go. Whole grain pasta? Even *I* think that stuff is gross. I have had success using whole wheat flour for breading, for example, on pork chops or chicken tenders -- nobody notices or cares -- and I put wheat germ in their hamburgers and salmon patties.

I've had the best success with things they don't see. I switched to healthier oil for cooking; nobody noticed or cared. I switched to organic spaghetti sauce; they liked it better. I switched to organic ketchup; they insisted that the only real ketchup is Heinz. Well, fortunately, Heinz makes a variety without HFCS, so we compromised. I switched to wild-caught salmon, organic eggs, organic beef and chicken; nobody noticed.

So, not really winning on the whole grains, but I've got plenty of other areas to focus on for now. I've decided whole grains can wait until I've got everything else sorted out. To paraphrase the Proverb: Better to eat white bread in a quiet house than whole wheat bread with continual fighting.
  • Lulu_nz
    Lulu_nz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I cook what I cook. If anyone doesn't like it then they are welcome to take over cooking duties!

How did I get them to eat whole grains? By serving it up. By simply not buying the crap anymore.