Help! My Yoga Mat STINKS

Options
I have been doing the 30 day shred and after two or three days my Yoga mat stinks (because Jillian makes me sweat)!! What do you do to clean yours I keep washing it in my machine but I was wondering if there was something quicker so I don't have to be without it while it dries!
Thanks for the suggestions!

Replies

• LucyFordxo
    LucyFordxo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You can make your own solution with like, apple cider vinegar (smells nicer than white vinegar, antibacterial), lavender, tea tree oil, orange oil in a base of distilled water. Add to a spray bottle and whipe down after every workout :)
  • kaytbognar
    Options
    We used Benefect all natural disinfectant spray at the hot yoga studio I used to work at. It's antibacterial and antifungal, if I recall correctly we'd use a 2:1 water/benefect solution in a spray bottle and spray mats down after classes and hang to dry. Depending on how much you sweat (and therefore, how much sweat gets into your mat) you're gonna want to let it dry well before you roll it up to store it. Also, depending on what kind of exercises you're doing (I'm not familiar with the 30 day shred, sorry!) you can lay a towel down on your mat for washable barrier between you and your mat.

If your mat is really, really smelly you can wash it in cold water in your tub (I used to use a bit of all-natural laundry soap along with some benefect) the cold water also helps to rejuvenate a bit of your mat's stickiness. Again, hang and allow to dry really well before rolling/storing.

If it's really funky, though, that stank may just be IN there for good and you'll have to get a new one :/
  • Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas--washing it always takes it away but I feel like I am using a lot of water!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    You can buy the mat spray at target . I wipe mine down after each workout and then once a week with a bleach sanitizing wipe because I'm crazy :wink:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it (because I don't know how much they cost) why not buy another mat to use while the other one is drying?

Oh, and great going on doing the 30 day shred!
  • jnikitow
    jnikitow Posts: 334
    Options
    What about Febreeze?