What an eye opener!!! Duh!

Options
2»

Replies

• BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    Get the heart rate monitor and a food scale and you will be amazed and how far apart your own food estimates are from actual serving sizes and how over/under estimated the calorie burn is on MFP!

Yes, weight loss is an easy math but to do this math you need proper tools.

I got the tools last week and lost 2lbs after staying at the same weight for weeks and weeks!
    It wasn't a plateau - my math was way off!

You joined in March of 2011. It took you 18 months to realize this?

Or, are you just pointing this out to the people who are constantly saying they don't know why they are NOT losing weight?

I lost 70 lbs 15 years ago without a kitchen scale or HRM so I never felt I needed it. I gradually gained about 20 lbs since then so I joined in 2011 but wasn't very motivated to do much.

I became active a few months ago and dropped 10 lbs out of the 20 I need to lose; and yes, I just now realized that my measurements and estimates have been very distorted. :smile:
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Get the heart rate monitor and a food scale and you will be amazed and how far apart your own food estimates are from actual serving sizes and how over/under estimated the calorie burn is on MFP!

Yes, weight loss is an easy math but to do this math you need proper tools.

I got the tools last week and lost 2lbs after staying at the same weight for weeks and weeks!
    It wasn't a plateau - my math was way off!

You joined in March of 2011. It took you 18 months to realize this?

Or, are you just pointing this out to the people who are constantly saying they don't know why they are NOT losing weight?

I lost 70 lbs 15 years ago without a kitchen scale or HRM so I never felt I needed it. I gradually gained about 20 lbs since then so I joined in 2011 but wasn't very motivated to do much.

I became active a few months ago and dropped 10 lbs out of the 20 I need to lose; and yes, I just now realized that my measurements and estimates have been very distorted. :smile:
    Glad to see you came around. Good luck with your journey. I, for one, never put anything in my mouth without weighing it. There has been a lot of discussion on these forums debating this issue. And I can't figure out how people can measure PROPERLY without measuring and weighing with a scale or cups.
  • levstein
    Options
    My pedometer tells how many steps, aerobic steps, cals burned, fat burned, miles, and time exercised. I couldn't do it without it! It works off your weight, age, stride, and weight

I too have an Omron pedometer and was using it to calculate aerobic activity.....what a shock when I started using a Polar FT7 HRM.....turns out the pedometer was caculating at 3 times the amount shown on the HRM...also MFP calculating at 40% more than HRM.....very useful information especially for people eating back exercise calories!!
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    I purchased a kitchen scale about five years ago and whenever I want to eat healthy and lose weight I always use it. That way I know exactly how much I'm eating. I can't imagine how I would work out my calories otherwise. My family think I'm bonkers as I weigh out everything, (except the milk for my tea), but it really helps me keep on track. I probably would overestimate my calories rather than underestimate them without it which is just as bad if not worse really.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    My pedometer tells how many steps, aerobic steps, cals burned, fat burned, miles, and time exercised. I couldn't do it without it! It works off your weight, age, stride, and weight

I too have an Omron pedometer and was using it to calculate aerobic activity.....what a shock when I started using a Polar FT7 HRM.....turns out the pedometer was caculating at 3 times the amount shown on the HRM...also MFP calculating at 40% more than HRM.....very useful information especially for people eating back exercise calories!!

A pedometer can be usefull fir normal daily activity but it is not accurate for burn during exercise. That is what a HRM is for.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't use MFP to track my exercise. I find the numbers are way off. I will use a machine that says you burned 120 calories and then put the info into MFP and it will say 350 calories.
  • dbh3425
    dbh3425 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I got my HRM from here: http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com, and I chose the FT4. Though it isn't dirt cheap, their price is $30 less than other websites I checked, and they provide free shipping.

Good luck!
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, when I got my food scale I discovered that I was actually UNDERestimating a lot of my meat servings.