SAHM's

Options
I'm young, in college & have a soon to be 1 yr old boy! My husband is also a student & works outsode of the home. We don't get much help, unfortunately. So my question is, to SAHM's, out of curiosity, how/when do you find the time to workout? Maybe I'll get some useful ideas. :)

Replies

• erd2011
    Options
    I don't do much formal workout-type exercise anymore but I'm trying to get back to it. Mostly I make a point of taking my 9 month old out for at least one walk a day in his stroller.
  • mommacxjx
    mommacxjx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 month old and a 2.5 year old and I stay at home. I do DVDs (I'm currently doing Insanity) while my 6 month old naps and my older son plays in his room.
  • D3vAnge1
    D3vAnge1 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    SAHM of 3. When I go to the gym, I look at it as time to myself. Ow, if I don't make it to the gym, I walk with my kids once, sometimes 2xs a day or do the basics at home (jj, crunches, pushups, suats, lunges & 3-5lb wgts) & I alternate between the DVDs I have (walk-away the pounds--my fav, brazilian butt lift, & zumba)...I also walk/jog on my treadmill which is in the kids' playroom where their TV is. It's old & worn so I can't read the settings, so since I don't have any kind of monitor besides a clock, IDK what my mph or cal burn is...I simply aim for 30min+.
  • LERadicalDreamer
    LERadicalDreamer Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have a 2.5 year old, a 10 month old, and just found out I am expecting. Right now, the only way I have time is either when a) my daughter takes a nap, and my son and I do 30DS together or b) I go to the local Y where they have free childcare for members. The kids get to socialize with friends, and I get to workout/shower in peace, so it's a win/win for everyone.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    WALK!! When I lost the weight before it was mostly walking that got me there. I really watch my calories and just make sure I am Netting my goals for the day...If I want to eat more I burn more.

I usually even take my kids with me after supper...even 1/2 hour walking is better then nothing!!
  • DaisyDuck82
    Options
    I'm a SAHM to an almost 3yo, and a 15mo, I wear the 15mo in a carrier and my almost 3yo walks, and we go for a walk almost every single day. That's the only excercise I do.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    pushing strollers and chasing toddlers all over was a workout for me. my boys are older and now I foam weapons fight with them (or bike/workout on my own)
  • proudarmywife06
    proudarmywife06 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My husband works 4 days on and 4 days off at 12 hour shifts. My son will be 1 in 2 weeks and one way I exercise with him around is. I get on the floor and play with him and I'll do leg lifts and crunches. I will also put him in his stroller and go on a walk. It's good for both of us. He loves mickey mouse clubhouse and we always do the hot dog dance together and then some. He loves to mock what I do lol. I also feed him him whatever I eat and since I want him to eat healthy it encourages me to cook healthy food for both of us and not just something in a freezer bag or can.
  • thatsingingchick
    Options
    I have a 8mo, who luckily goes to bed at 7 every night. I get a chance to exercise on our elliptical for a while before I settle in for the evening with my husband. But I love going to the YMCA when I can. Less for the workout, more for the childcare. It's a great way for a mom who has her child on her hip all day long to get a little self time.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm a full-time student as well. I just make sure that when I have to be on campus, I park in a far lot and take the stairs (7 flights up and down is killer on the knees, though). When I'm at home, I just try to go outside with the kids, or take a walk with them. I haven't done DVDs or games for a while, though I want to get back to them. We're also going to be setting up weights in our garage so that after my husband gets home, we'll be able to work on that with the kids right in the back yard.
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    SAHM to a 5 year old and a 2 year old. I either get up at 4:30 and go to a local 5am boot camp or I go for a jog after I drop my 5 year old off at school and put the 2 year old in a jogging stroller. I also walk my son to and from school so that adds about 2 miles of walking to my day. You just have to find a time that works for you and stick with it. Good luck!
  • FaithInAes
    FaithInAes Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 month old and I try to take a walk with him every morning and I play the Zumba Fitness game on my xbox when my son plays or sleeps. I also do basic strength training workouts with free weights and sometimes walk/run at night when my husband is home and my baby is sleeping. I just started and haven't weighed in yet but I think I am losing weight, I have been monitoring my calorie intake and exercising as much as I can so hopefully I will have a good number! Feel free to add me!
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I just want to add that it gets easier to find time as your children get older. My 4 yr old can easily entertain herself while I do a DVD. We also like to go on a lot of walks.
  • mvasallo
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom to a 4 year old, 2 year old & 1 year old and a part time student. I do an assortment of things. I either do workout videos at home while the youngest nap & my oldest watches a movie ( or joins me occasionaly), or ride my stationary bike after they all go to sleep at 7:30. When it's cooler out I put my 1yo in the baby backpack & my other to in the double stroller & go for a walk. It all really depends on the weather & how bad they wore me out that day! :wink:
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM mum to five kids, aged 22mth, 4y, 6y, 8y and 11y, and a husband who works 6 days a week, plus is on call a lot of the time so even if he's at home I can't go out and leave the kids with him, unless I can get back within 5min. (though these days it feels easier as he used to be away most of the time) So yep, it's difficult!
    I walk the kids to school when we can, but the 22mth and 4yo mean it's so slow it's not worth logging. I've got a crosstrainer, treadmill, stationary bike and lateral stepper in my living room, and just got some weights & resistance cords & a speedball. I also have a few exercise DVDs.
    I get up early to exercise in the mornings before the kids get up, and will try to steal 5-10mins on one of the bits of equipment while the littlies are occupied during the day if possible (I don't log that though), and I exercise in the evening once they've all gone to bed. I go to bed around 12-1am, and get up between 5-6am, but I know that's not for everyone, I've just never been much of a sleeper.
    I don't assign a particular rest day, that just becomes whatever day everything turns to custard! Which happens about once a week.
  • Crossfitjessi
    Options
    I use the gym's childcare facility, it is the only way I get to go. If I can not use the childcare facility I can not go. My husband works 50 hours a week, neither of s are students but I work from home and being a homemaker, the only times when I get to go is in the hours before my work & the 2 days off that I have each week, and utilizing that facility is absolutely necessary.
  • ashleyconstantine
    Options
    Im a mom to a 3 year old, and a 2 month old. We have "quiet time" where the baby takes a nap, and my oldest plays in her room... then when they go to bed, and I also wake up at about 5 am, and go do c25k, every other day. A lot of gyms have childcare... I'd look into that.
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 year old in 1st grade now and a 4 year old at home full time with me. I set aside time from 10-12 every day to get it done. I just tell myself that is my time(I don't use the whole time but that is my window of GET IT DONE-ness). I would set them up with play doh, water color paints, washable markers, a fun movie and snack and do me. We also have a fenced in back yard so they spent a lot of summer out there playing. I would also tell them this was Mommy's time, that I needed it to help my heart stay healthy so I could run and play with them later. In turn they are like my Mom exercises cause she wants to have a healthy heart and to live a long time. So it's teaching good values! I also know women who get up at 5 am to get it done before everyone is up to go to work and school and 9 pmers who do it after a long day. You will do what best suits you and your needs. Just know that be it 7 am or 7pm that you are taking care of you and you have to do that to take care of anyone else. Go MOMMA GO!
  • CoachHeatherM
    CoachHeatherM Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom of 3... yes they are older... 14, 13 & 9, BUT I homeschool which takes up a lot of our day. Plus, I watch a 4 month old baby girl. We finish school around 1:30 and if the baby is napping I will throw in my P90X Dvd's or Leslie Sansone's walking Dvd's etc.... and go to town. If I can't fit it in then, I will usually not get my workout in until 8 or 9 at night. I ALWAYS make time even if I'm working out at 10 or 11 at night. I know it is very important for me to get my weight off (to heal my liver). You just have to try hard to schedule it in somewhere and just do it =)
  • mbojan2
    mbojan2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you. Both my husband and I are in college (I'm full-time, he's part-time), We have a 4 year-old son with autism and cerebral palsy, he works outside the home as well and is out of town most weekends for work. I get my workouts in by getting up at 4:30 in the morning and hit the gym at 5am The gym we belong to also has a childcare/play zone for kids so if I'm not able to get it in that morning I'll take my son with me. I also plan out everything for the week. Including meal plans and a family schedule showing what, where, and when we have to be somewhere. This saves me time and energy in the long run.