Food- some advice please :)

Options
Good afternoon lovely mfps. I have recently started using mfp religiously to log every single thing that passes my lips and would love it if some old hands and fitness pros could take a peek at my food diary and offer their opinions on my daily food intake. It's only Day 6, so any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated. I prefer to correct any errors now, before time passes and I'm pulling my hair out wondering why. I am doing the shake thing, because it is something I could honestly easily continue for the rest of my life. Any help is appreciated! I log in everything I am going to eat at the beginning of the day, that way I have a plan. After this week I am intensifying my exercise (wanted to tackle one thing at a time).Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Cassandrat83
    Options
    As an addition- yes I've slipped with the fries- that is me being very honest and no, I do not intend to eat them again lol
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Coming from the point of view of overall health, not just weight loss...

Cut out the frozen meals, those are highly processed & full of sodium & crap. Try to eat less processed if you can.
    Eat more veggies.
    Cut down on drinking calories. IE: alcohol
    Get healthy fats in....avocado, nuts/nut butter.
    Be mindful of your intakes...for sodium, sugar, carbs etc. It's just good to pay attention to.

Good luck!!
  • cmaybeepearson
    cmaybeepearson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've just started here as well, but my weight loss journey started in January. I agree that shakes are an easy thing to make and I'm sure I will continue with them for the rest of my life as well. There are lots of shakes you can make as well, they don't just have to be protein shakes. I often make shakes with unsweetened almond milk (low calorie), veggies plus powder (sneak in some extra nutrients) and plain greek yogurt (high in protein) with fruit.

Your food seems pretty good. Don't worry about the fries, we are all suppose to have a "cheat" meal as they call them. Basically it helps us be realistic so this can be a life style change instead of a diet.

My suggestion would be to add more fresh fruits and veggies into your diet and a bit less processed foods. There is a lot of sodium and preservatives in the frozen WW and Lean Cuisine meals. They are good in a pinch, but probably not the best as a daily meal.

I cut up veggies and keep them in containers to snack on. I also make a huge fresh tossed salad that takes about 3 meals to eat so it's quicker to eat healthy. A big salad with some chicken or fish on it is a very yummy lunch.

Keep up all the hard work and I hope my suggestion helps.
  • Cassandrat83
    Options
    Thanks so much. I am trying to take a slow and steady approach with cutting everything back- drinking has been cut back from 3-4 nights out of the week to 1-2 and I'm only having half as much as I would normally. When I have slipped up, I have tried to only have half of what I would normally gorge on. I know my diet is still far from perfect but I am hoping I am on the right track.
  • Cassandrat83
    Options
    Hi. I've just started here as well, but my weight loss journey started in January. I agree that shakes are an easy thing to make and I'm sure I will continue with them for the rest of my life as well. There are lots of shakes you can make as well, they don't just have to be protein shakes. I often make shakes with unsweetened almond milk (low calorie), veggies plus powder (sneak in some extra nutrients) and plain greek yogurt (high in protein) with fruit.

Your food seems pretty good. Don't worry about the fries, we are all suppose to have a "cheat" meal as they call them. Basically it helps us be realistic so this can be a life style change instead of a diet.

My suggestion would be to add more fresh fruits and veggies into your diet and a bit less processed foods. There is a lot of sodium and preservatives in the frozen WW and Lean Cuisine meals. They are good in a pinch, but probably not the best as a daily meal.

I cut up veggies and keep them in containers to snack on. I also make a huge fresh tossed salad that takes about 3 meals to eat so it's quicker to eat healthy. A big salad with some chicken or fish on it is a very yummy lunch.

Keep up all the hard work and I hope my suggestion helps.
    It really does, I love the idea of having the salad ready to go. I am a huge chicken and fish fan so it's something that I will very much consider. Thanks so much!
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what's worked for me. I eat lots of fruit and vegetables, lean meats-salmon, ground turkey, B/S chicken breasts, whole grains. I switched from 2% milk to unsweetened almond milk. I try to make sure I'm eating more healthy fats-polyunsaturated and monounsaturated, than unhealthy saturated fat-so unsalted almonds, mixed nuts, flax seed, avocados, etc have become staples for me. I try to eat .5 grams of protein per pound of weight since protein aids in weight loss. I have a food scale that is my BFF and I weigh/measure EVERYTHING. Plain Greek yogurt is an acquired taste, but it has also become a staple in my house. It's a good source of protein and can used as a substitute in your cooking for sour cream, heavy whipping creams, etc or have it in your shakes or by itself with fresh fruit. I've limited my alcohol intake. I drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, which includes 4 cups of hot green tea, which also aids in weight loss. I watch my sodium, which means limiting frozen meals, even ones like Lean Cuisine. I exercise 5-6 days a week, cardio and weights. I only eat a portion of my exercise calories back. If I want chocolate, alcohol, etc., I'll have it in moderation and make it fit into my day. So, doing all of this, as of last Sunday I've lost 44lbs since April 15th and gone from a size 20 to a 12. And I just tried on size 10 jeans today and they fit, they're tight, but they fit :). Everyone's different, but the above has worked for me. So eat as clean as you can and get your body moving :).
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I would recommend tracking your fiber intake. Try to consume between 25 and 30 grams per day. It will help keep you full longer and it will help keep your digestive tract working. Try to come close to the MFP recommendation for fat and carbs, eat at least their recommendation for protein and as much fiber as your body can handle.

Eat 4 to 6 servings of fruits and vegetables each day. Consume 2 or 3 servings of dairy each day - greek yogurt is an excellent choice because it is so high in protein.

Don't be afraid to eat, and don't be afraid to eat junk once in a while. Everything in moderation, except veggies - eat as many as you can fit into your calorie goals.

I never thought I'd be able to lose my weight. I surpassed my original goal and have been in pretty much maintenence mode for months now. I went from a size 12/14 to a size 6/8 in a few months. I am more active, but I don't "workout" every day. My diary is open. Feel free to check it out. I eat junk daily. I also try to keep it balanced with healthy food.