Finding 1200 Calories impossible!!

Options
I am a new member and have recently decided to buckle down on my weight (since with all my other health issues the doctors said the D word....Diabetes..... is knocking!). I must admit first of all that have a bad caffeine addiction for Dr. Pepper which I know is a huge thing I need to break to help both with the weight loss and the D word but so far I have not found my will power to toss it out. Other than that... I'm finding it nearly impossible to eat only 1200 calories. I barely eat but what I do eat I know seems chock full of calories. I am dating a trucker and we blended families so we are now a family of 8 but he is on the road all the time so that leaves me a mom of 6 with a full time job, coaching soccer and attending girl scout meetings. I have a very busy schedule!! I need ideas to hit my 1200 calories and still feel full and do it on a small budget and with fast prep. Help!!!

Replies

• gvheintz
    gvheintz Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hard to answer anything without seeing your diary. Next question ... have you checked out this...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'd move more towards 1500-1700 calories. Fat makes you feel full, carbohydrates get used first and you'll feel hungry sooner. Snacks of nuts are perfect in between some bacon and eggs for breakfast with your Dr. Pepper 10. Maybe later you can try some celery and peanut butter and raisins?
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hard to answer anything without seeing your diary. Next question ... have you checked out this...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

this ^
  • jenjones28
    jenjones28 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    At 100 calories per 8 oz, it's going to be hard to meet a 1200 calorie goal while drinking very much Dr. Pepper. IMO, things with lower carbs/higher protein will be your friend, along with lots of veggies. Maybe things like greek yogurt, chicken, eggs/egg whites, tuna, cottage cheese.
  • sambyoung
    sambyoung Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Aim for a net calorie value of 1200 instead of just an intake of 1200. Since you're so busy you burn more calories during the day and you should eat enough so that your (calories eaten) minus (calories burnt) equals 1200.
  • AbzRocks
    Options
    Wow, that family should keep you thin alone lol. I can't stick to 1200 either. I would think your cals should be higher than that. I attend scout meetings as a leader and run my family (only 3 girls though) and work nightshift. I came to the realisation my house won't fall apart if the washing banks up a bit, or I wait till tomorrow to vacuume. There is always 30 mins to do a bit of exercise and something which can be put off till the next day or get the kids to do it. 30 mins of exercise can be over 300 cals of extra food you can have, and water fills you up really well. I drink between 3 and 4 litres a day and it really helps me!!! Good luck!
  • la_faerie
    Options
    What I do as a kid in an unhealthy family who can't cook and is also an extremely overwhelmed student is stock up on veggies that are tasty raw, raw almonds, yogurts, low sodium deli meats, low fat cheese, frozen but minimally processed foods, and other things of the sort. I also agree with maybe upping your calorie intake a bit to suit your needs and lowering it as time passes and you get the hang of it.

A very useful tip is to make all of your food beforehand and pack it into serving-sized containers so that when you're in a rush, you can grab it and go. Today, I microwaved a bag of Trader Joe's quinoa with veggies and put them in cup-sized tupperwares for the school week. Took me a total of 7 minutes and I have half of a healthy, wholesome meal ready to go for the next three days, where I won't have to worry about portioning it at all.

I also suggest eating basically the same things for a couple meals each day, so you can buy these things in bulk.

This is also going to mean eating different foods from the rest of your family, which I know from experience is difficult, but I swear to you your health is worth it.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options

this ^

In case you need a bit more encouragement...I third this. Welcome to MFP and I wish you the best!
  • Tammy518
    Tammy518 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have your weight loss set at the max of 2lbs per wk. If so, change that to 1 lb a week or even 1/2 lb and that will give you more calories for the day. It;s virtually impossible and for me (mom of 5) unthinkable to go to bed hungry much less cut my calories from 4000/day to an immediate 1200. That'll make you one irritated woman, I don't advise it.

Go it slow and you will have better results and much faster than you realize, plus you will be happier and more likely to continue on this journey of a complete lifestyle change. Work with your settings a bit and begin monitoring your sugar intake to avoid the diabetes. As for the Dr. Peppers, a great big weakness for me once also...try Diet Dr.Pepper, they really aren't too bad. The Pepsi Zero is pretty good too esp.after your body has had little sugar. It becomes a great big treat. I can't stand reg.sodas now and prefer water with the Hawaiian Punch sugar free mixes for it. Regulars are way too sweet now.

Keep up the hard work, it does get easier I promise. I have to force myself to even get to 1200cals now and I too am very busy 24/7. You can do it! I can't wait to see the progress :wink:
  • AtlantaWriter
    AtlantaWriter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Funny name, Bacitracin. Just sayin'. :)
  • AtlantaWriter
    AtlantaWriter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Great advice, Tammy!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    You'll just have to stop drinking your calories if you want to eat food. Can you switch to diet, plain iced tea, or even better, water? If you have a nice protein/fat snack instead of sugar you'll get more of a pick me up in the afternoon/mid-morning instead of that awful sugar slump. Even an apple and a cheese stick or a cheese stick and some almonds would probably make you feel better (and more full) than a can of pop. Good luck!
  • kim959706
    Options
    Thank you for the tips. And thanks Tammy for the suggestion to alter my loss goals so I don't fee so I don't get so discouraged that I quit! I hadn't thought about that. I will try that and the suggestion to leave something be and get it a bit more zumba or something. Thanks again everyone!
  • AlexandraLynch
    Options
    It helps to eat throughout the day.

What I use is 300-500 calories per meal, and 100 calories for snacks. I eat breakfast at seven, snack around ten am, lunch around noon, snack again around three, supper around five, snack again around seven, and go to bed around midnight. This works well for me and lets me get used to a lesser portion size.

I agree that drinking your calories is what's really giving you trouble. Switch to diet or totally to water.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    It can be overwhelming to try to change a lot of things at once.

My suggestion would be to try to start by changing only one or two things for a week or two at a time, until you get used to those changes and then make one or two more changes for a couple of weeks, and so on.

The thing that strikes me when I look at your food diary is that there isn't a lot of what some people would call "real" food. You are trying very hard to meet the 1200 calorie goal, but you are being held back by the Dr. Peppers.

My suggestion would be instead of trying so hard to meet 1200 calories, go back to eating "real" food, no matter whether you go over the 1200 calories or not. Then go out and buy a six-pack of Diet Dr. Peppers. Try to replace only one of your regular Dr. Peppers a day with a Diet Dr. Pepper. Try that for a week. It may takes some getting used to, if you don't like the flavor of the diet vs. regular, but it's a baby step. Then the next week you can try to replace two regular Dr. Peppers a day with a Diet, and so on. In that way you will slowly free up the 150 calories that each Dr. Pepper is costing you each day.

You will also be eliminating the simple sugars that go with the Dr. Pepper and this will improve your blood sugar.

At that point you can then start addressing other areas of your diet, like trying to stay under a certain calorie goal (whether it is 1200 calories or 1500 or whatever might be right for you) or start a regular exercise routine.

The BIGGEST suggestions I have would be:

1) Try to eat something in the morning. (If not right when you wake up, then later after all the kids are in school, when you have some time.)

2) Try to always eat some protein at the same time that you have carbohydrate. This helps to regulate your blood sugar. The carbohydrates are digested very quickly, but the protein takes longer and evens out your blood sugar. So, if you DO have a regular Dr. Pepper, then have something with protein at the same time (like a bit of chicken, or some peanut butter, or some cheese, whatever protein that you like that is easy for you to eat at the same time you have the carbohydrates).

3) For lunch and dinner try to use the plate method: 1/4 of your plate should be your protein source (meat or meat alternative), 1/4 of your plate should be your starch (like potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, beans, bread, rice, pasta, or other grains), and 1/2 of your plate should be non-starchy vegetables and/or fruit.

Those three things will help to regulate your blood sugar.

FINALLY, find out if your health insurance company will cover a visit with a dietician, and if your doctor can make a referral to one. Speaking to a dietician will really help you to learn about how to manage your diet to regulate your blood sugar so that you can avoid diabetes or pre-diabetes.

Good Luck!
  • jesseyluvspurple
    Options
    I had a hard time at first too. Just do the best you can and start making small changes. If you dont have time to exercise pick up a exercise band and try doing that while you are watching tv. I found one at the goodwill and it actually makes me more sore than the gym. It just takes a few minutes and it will build muscle which will in turn burn more fat. You made the right step in joining myfitnesspal, there is alot of support here. Good luck!!!!
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I agree that you may want to lesson your goal. Personally, I think that never having to feel hunger on a good diet isn't going to happen. I found that I was hungry at the beginning of my diet but now I've noticed how my stomach has shrunk. If I decide to eat a large meal, I find I still eat a LOT less than I would have a month ago. That being said, sometimes it just comes with balancing your food and looking for the most "bang for your buck." Think of how many carrots you could eat instead of drinking a can of pop with the same amount of calories. I'd bet carrots would fill you up more.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty low...where are you getting that recommendation from? MFP?

One way to make it work is exercise. Go for a run everyday, and you'll find it easier to reach your goals! All it takes is a good pair of shoes, some motivation, and voila! More calories to eat :)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    With diabetes looming large in your future, you don't seem to serious. Do you understand the implications of diabetes? REALLY...Eventually you WILL have to go on Dialysis, and I do not know anyone who has survived that beyond 5 years w/o a kidney transplant. Or maybe lose your eye-sight or a limb... NOW, are you WILLING to DROP Dr. Pepper like a HOT BRICK and start eating RIGHT and MAKE time for some exercise. I got news for you, if you don't someone else will be doing the "Taking" to scout meetings and such. Just an EYE OPENER to help YOU put First Things First, and to actually SEE what is IMPORTANT...Did YOU consider all of this (Your Health Issues) BEFORE you decided to become a "Mother of 6" with NO HELP from a Spouse?
  • kim959706
    Options
    I do understand the implications of diabetes. It runs in my family. Though I must say no one has lost a limb or had to go on dialysis because of it. Yes I have an addiction and with any addiction there are side effects to withdrawal. I have cut back on how much I drink soda and increased my water intake. And to be honest I wasn't given the news about possible diabetes in my future until after I was a mother of six. I don't believe I am knocking on deaths door so while I may be declining a bit health wise I believe I'll make all the girl scout meetings.