10k training....

Options
From the running experts out there, help please?

I'm currently able to run a 5k (not super easily or anything) but I can do it. I want to run a 10k race at the end of october. Do you think it's possible to train myself to run a 10k by then?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!

Generally speaking, it's suggested to add no more than 10% of your distance per week. But just to make nice even numbers, if you add just a half mile to your distance each week, you'll be there in about 6 week.

There's programs out there to help you train. Bridge to 10k is often recommended.
  • TheRealMrsMetro
    TheRealMrsMetro Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor or a running expert, but I will tell you this, I just started running about 2 years ago and am training for my first half marathon at the end of October. The biggest factors in increasing your mileage are how you feel when you run and how much time you can dedicate to running. There are a few good training programs online that get you to increase your mileage each week when you do a long run. I think most training programs assume you can run comfortably and give about three months to train for a race. I have learned to listen to my body, wear good running shoes, and keep up with my pedicures. (I broke two toenails on my first 10K. I wondered why my toes felt weird while I was running. Yes, it was UGLY!) Remember, there will always be other 10Ks to run if you feel like you are pushing yourself too far too fast. I think that you should run two 5Ks while you are building up to the 10K to build your confidence and get comfortable racing. You can do the 10K if you are willing to put in the work. Finishing a race is a wonderful feeling. Sounds like you are hooked already!
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    What's frustrating to me is that I never seem to increase my speed. I'm stuck at 12 minute mile which is so slow! lol!! If I go faster, my HRM beeps because my heart rate goes too high. What can I do about this?
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    What's frustrating to me is that I never seem to increase my speed. I'm stuck at 12 minute mile which is so slow! lol!! If I go faster, my HRM beeps because my heart rate goes too high. What can I do about this?

Just keep running. It'll increase with time. Vary your runs and be sure to include some hills. I usually do one shorter faster run, one longer slow run, and one hilly run (preferably on trails because I can't see the incline for all the trees!) a week.

Also be sure to incorporate resistance training. I lift weights on my non-running days, and it's really helped my speed and endurance.
  • Meganalva
    Options
    Ok that's helpful, thank you! Will it hinder my progress that I can't run outside? I'm a single mother with no one to stay with my kids while I go out so I have to use my treadmill. It does have an incline so I could use that....although I know it's not the same as outdoors.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Turn off the beeps on your HRM. Do you know what your max HR is? Your real max, not the one the formulas give you? My real max is 200 to 202, despite the formulas that say it should be 183.

I started 10K training in July and once I got up to about 4.5 miles, started having hip issues with my right hip. So, I had to slow down immensely. I've now switched to the Galloway method which doesn't bother my hip much at all (run/walk intervals) and I'm actually faster, or at least just as fast, even with the walk intervals! I have a 10K in November, so hopefully I'll be able to do it by then.
  • Meganalva
    Options
    Turn off the beeps on your HRM. Do you know what your max HR is? Your real max, not the one the formulas give you? My real max is 200 to 202, despite the formulas that say it should be 183.

I started 10K training in July and once I got up to about 4.5 miles, started having hip issues with my right hip. So, I had to slow down immensely. I've now switched to the Galloway method which doesn't bother my hip much at all (run/walk intervals) and I'm actually faster, or at least just as fast, even with the walk intervals! I have a 10K in November, so hopefully I'll be able to do it by then.

No, I don't know my max HR. How would I find that out?

Oh that's great that you found something that's working for you!! I'm sure you'll do great in November! That's a good chunk of time! ;)
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    There are physical tests you can find outline to push your HR to the max. I devised mine just by watching how high it went. The highest I've seen is about 202. Once I hit 200, I have to stop what I'm doing because I feel bad. So I just estimated my max is 200 to 202.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Ok that's helpful, thank you! Will it hinder my progress that I can't run outside? I'm a single mother with no one to stay with my kids while I go out so I have to use my treadmill. It does have an incline so I could use that....although I know it's not the same as outdoors.

All I can tell, from personal experience, is that you should be running outdoors at least once or twice a week just to allow your body to adapt to the difference in running mechanics and surfaces. I trained for my first 5K almost exclusively on a treadmill and ended up with horrible shin splints by the 3km mark (I finished the race), had I trained outdoors I probably could have avoided this.
  • Meganalva
    Options
    That makes sense. Crap. Maybe I'll have to squeeze in one run outdoors if I can every week. But during the winter months, I won't, I freaking hate the cold. lol
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first 10k end of October as well and on one of my posts someone suggested the Hal Higdon training program. I googled it and now am on my second week of the program. It's easy and is very simple to follow. And one of the guys in my running club keeps telling me to not worry about how fast I'm going! My goal is to try to run the whole way through, but if I can do it in under an hour and a half I'll be happy!!
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    That makes sense. Crap. Maybe I'll have to squeeze in one run outdoors if I can every week. But during the winter months, I won't, I freaking hate the cold. lol

I hate the cold more than anyone, but I'd rather run in the cold than the heat. After the first five minutes, you don't feel it. Just wear gloves and a hat or band that covers your ears.
  • omma_to_3
    Options

I too would encourage running outside, but I didn't find it that much different from treadmill, other than the enjoyment factor. The first time or two, it may have been every so slightly harder, but I also could have imagined it LOL. Now, after running outside for so long, I absolutely HATE the treadmill for running. I had to run on it last night. Yuck. I still really enjoy the treadmill for walking though, but for running, it really does feel like the "dreadmill" LOL.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options

I don't know how old your kids are, but my kids often join me on my run. They are on their bikes and I run a very inconsistent pace alternatively trying to chase them down or trying to get them to catch up, which makes for interesting interval training.:laugh:
  • Meganalva
    Options

I hate the cold more than anyone, but I'd rather run in the cold than the heat. After the first five minutes, you don't feel it. Just wear gloves and a hat or band that covers your ears.

Eek!! lol You're probably right!
  • Meganalva
    Options

I don't know how old your kids are, but my kids often join me on my run. They are on their bikes and I run a very inconsistent pace alternatively trying to chase them down or trying to get them to catch up, which makes for interesting interval training.:laugh:

Well mine are 6, 3, and 1 so that won't work quite yet :P
  • Meganalva
    Options

I too would encourage running outside, but I didn't find it that much different from treadmill, other than the enjoyment factor. The first time or two, it may have been every so slightly harder, but I also could have imagined it LOL. Now, after running outside for so long, I absolutely HATE the treadmill for running. I had to run on it last night. Yuck. I still really enjoy the treadmill for walking though, but for running, it really does feel like the "dreadmill" LOL.

Yeah, I agree, it is pretty darn boring :P
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It's possible. Try Bridge to 10K and see how that fits you. B210K

It took me longer than that, but I am old.
  • xachooo
    Options
    If you want to get faster you might want to try things like weight exercises (squats, bulgarian squats, lunges, etc) and some tempo runs (where you warm up, then run fast for 10-15 minutes, then slow for the last 10-15 minutes to cool down. I dropped a couple minutes off my 5k following this advice.