Why do people say losing weight is mainly about diet

MFP gives me 1200 cals. If i set activity level to sedentary. I'm 5ft 7, 151 pounds and female and am happy to lose a pound a week.

I've just got a fitbit. Yesterday I did two dog walks, went to the shops and did JM body revolution. This gave me an extra 1000 calories which is HUGE. I ate about half which then put me at a much mire manageable 1700 calories to eat, but still this 500 calories deficit would allow me to in theory lose an extra pound a week.

Am I confused somewhere?

Replies

• I think MFP calculates the calorie reduction of 500 calories per day for that 1 lb/week . So say you need 2000 calories to maintain and it lets you eat 1500 calories...you are supposed to lose a pound/week.

If you burn 250 calories with exercise...you can eat 1750 and still have your 500 calorie reduction...see?

or you could go easy on yourself and say...reduce your food intake by 250 and exercise for 250 and just not eat what you exercised off. That way you don't have to eat 500 calories less.

It only gets harder when we try to pressure ourselves and say...Oh I will eat 500 calories less ( 1500 intake ) and exercise for 1 hour ( 500 calories ) and I will lose faster because your net is now 1500 - 500 = 1000 calories/day.

That being said, that 3500 calories = 1 lb doesn't always hold true. When I did WW I went from 160 t0 148 quickly without exercise. But when I switched to exercise and a low carb diet the weight I lost was probably 3 lbs but the inches and body fat reduction was pretty significant.

its exactly what they say...two women can be 130 lbs and yet look very different from each other depending on how they got to 130 lbs.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    What I'm trying to say is that doing not a ridiculous amount of exercise means I can now eat. More sustainable amount, plus lose double the amount so exercise for me makes a HUGE difference.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    MFP gives me 1200 cals. If i set activity level to sedentary. I'm 5ft 7, 151 pounds and female and am happy to lose a pound a week.

I've just got a fitbit. Yesterday I did two dog walks, went to the shops and did JM body revolution. This gave me an extra 1000 calories which is HUGE. I ate about half which then put me at a much mire manageable 1700 calories to eat, but still this 500 calories deficit would allow me to in theory lose an extra pound a week.

Am I confused somewhere?

The key words here are "in theory".

The body isn't a simple calorie/fat cash machine.

A calorie deficit does not necessarily mean that your body has to give up fat.

It can slow down metabolism, not do maintenance, lose muscle or do any number of things that is not liberating fat.

Even in the face of exercise the body does not have to give up fat at anywhere near 3500cals=1lb fat (which is grossly inaccurate anyway). The body has less nutrients AND it is being worked harder ... Hmmm, likely to want to hang onto some fat maybe?

Likewise, a calorie surplus does not necessarily mean that your body has to put fat on.

It can speed up metabolism, increase temperature, increase involuntary movement, gain muscle, etc.

And, here is the key thing about why diet is important ... what those calories consist of have a HUGE bearing on what the body is likely to do with them.

Yes, calories count at some point but I think we give the body too little credit for being able to remain healthy and lean in the face of a reasonably varied caloric intake.

I eat what I see as filling, nutrient dense, long-term health-promoting diet and looking good naked comes as a nice by-product. ;)

And I don't do much exercise ... a bit of walking, some push ups ... eat right and you don't have to ...

I'll say again:
    1) You don't HAVE to gain fat in a caloric surplus
    2) You don't HAVE to lose fat in a caloric deficit (and never mind the 3500cals=1lb fat lost nonsense)
  • Great info from DeadVim ^^

The basic of what he is talking about relates to nutrient density.

Typically:

Calorie surplus --> Gain mass
    Calorie deficit --> Lose mass

But what does this mass consist of?

That's where other nutrients come in.

If you are eating a nutrient deficient diet consisting of starches, you may lose mass if you are in a calorie deficit. However, you may be losing mass from your bones (bone density de-mineralization), or you may be losing mass from your valuable muscle tone (which is valuable lean mass).

On the other hand, if you are consuming a balanced diet that meets nutrient requirements while creating a calorie deficit, then the chances are more likely that you will burn body-fat as opposed to lean mass.

Assuming you aren't doing endurance exercise (like marathons), most exercise has a tendency to promote lean body mass -- this is good because it makes you feel better and helps with metabolism.

Now, ask ANY personal trainer, and they will tell you that the best exercise in the world can NOT possibly make up for a horrible diet. And that's the FACT that answers your question.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    You lose weight in the kitchen, not in the gym.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Remember, MFP sets a mimimum of 1200 calories regardless, so if the real figure it 'wants' to calculate is actually 950 say, it'll still show 1200.
    I'm not sure how this works with exercise.

But yes, so far with me now that I've got a fairly accurate way to calculate calories burnt (motoactv watch), it seems to work doing a load of exercise to allow me to eat an extra 1000 calories a day or whatever.

I'm certainly looking forward to reaching my goal, whereupon after a gentle reintroduction, I can bump myself up 1250 calories (to start gaining some muscle); doubling my calorie base line.
  • exercise makes a big difference, but i suppose if you have a horrible diet to begin with then just changing that would make a big difference as well
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    1. That 1000 calories sounds pretty high to me. This morning I walked 40 minutes to the gym, exercised for an hour and walked 40 minutes home. Total 600 calories burned.

2. AND (for both me and you) you need to realise that even if you'd done nothing but lie completely still for all that time you still would have been burning calories. To log 1000 exercise calories you need to burn an extra 1000 calories.

Everyone is different and you need to work out what works for you but I know for me to lose weight it's all about the food. Exercise is important for a myriad of reasons but it doesn't compensate for poor eating. That's why you can train for a marathon (and successfully run it) and still be chubby.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    What I'm trying to say is that doing not a ridiculous amount of exercise means I can now eat. More sustainable amount, plus lose double the amount so exercise for me makes a HUGE difference.

Or you could realize that you really aren't sedentary, eat a reasonable amount, plus your exercise calories back.

I'm only 2 inches taller then you and when I was losing, I was eating between 1500-1800 calories a day... before exercise calories.

Now that I'm set to TDEE, I can eat up to 2100 a day and lose.
  • jaz050465
    Im noy saying i I can eat rubbish and exercise if off, I'm saying that exercise allows me to eat a normal healthy diet. I feel living in 1200 calories for me is not sustainable, I just feel deprived and binge but if I do my two 40 minute walks and a Furness DVD, I'm hoping to be able to put it up to 1700 cals and still lose about 1-1.5 pounds a week.

1000 over sedentary seems high to me too bug that's what Fitbit said. I take in board that MFP may have in fact had to put it up to 1200 as that is their minimum.
  • jaz050465
    Ive just put my stats into a TDEE clalculayir and it comes up as 1674. Bearing in mind MFP has taken off 500 for a pound a week eight loss, the 1200 figures seems reasonable. Again this is for no exercise. I also calculated it for exercising daily and it went up by 1000 calories- again similar to my fitbit question. So surely if I am exercising, it's got to have a big effect in my fat loss to.
    I hear this 80% diet and 20% exercise figure banded about a lot but don't know where it comes from.

I'm not training to justify eating crap, just not live on cottage cheese and lettuce leaves.
  • kaytee003
    kaytee003 Posts: 18 Member
    it's mainly about diet because exercise can't make up for putting a bunch of crap in your body.

especially if it's processed or refined crap where you don't get proper nutrients AND picture this say this is what you consumed in one day

Breakfast:
    How about a doughnut AND a latte we will throw that in the calorie count as 200 for a small doughnut and maybe 160+ for the latte

current tally 360

Snack -
    Doritos lets chomp down 250 calories

current tally 610 damn and it's not even lunch time but I want to stop at mcdonalds and eat a bare minimum of 1000 calories
    so 1610

and some more crap throughout the rest of the day lets just end the tally at about 2900 calories.
    Could you imagine how long and hard you would have to work off ALL those additional calories to just break even? and then since you just ate crap all day you wont have the energy to do so anyways.

and that's just the calories
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    What works for me is I eat my BMR only. 2100 cals. If I am running pure low carb I can add 500 calories and still easily lose. I have been slacking this last few weeks but still managed to lose 5 lb by just sticking to my calorie limits even with only hitting the gym twice last week.
  • I invite you to read Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It. In it, he explains how losing weight has nothing to do with calories in/calories out. It has everything to do with the quality and type of the calories you're eating and how they affect insulin in your body.
  • jaz050465
    So if my TDEE is 1700 and I burn 1000 in activity. What should I be eating. As I say, I'm not eating crap. For instance after exercise is like a glass of milk and a banana but at 1200 cals, it's difficult to fit in luxe ties like that. Also, as a vegetarian, on low calories I can't really eat nuts, advicacos and cheese on very low calories. I'm NIT talking about eating donuts for breakfast.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Diet is more important than exercise. Because if you eat really unhealthy no amount of exercise is going to save you from getting or staying fat. There's plenty of people that eat 3000-4000 calories a day, without being very aware that they're eating that much. Heavy exercise for an hour of 2 might give them another 1000 calories they can eat, but they will still be over.

Once you've got your diet under control (ie. not eating more than you need) exercise will make a difference, but if you don't have your diet right you can become fatter even while exercising plenty.
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Reducing calories by 15-20% below TDEE is a good place to start. A larger deficit may be necessary in some cases, but the best approach would be to keep the calorie deficit through diet small while increasing activity level.

Example 1:
    Your weight is 120 lbs.
    Your TDEE is 2033 calories
    Your calorie deficit to lose weight is 500 calories
    Your optimal caloric intake for weight loss is 2033 - 500 = 1533 calories

Example 2:
    Your calorie deficit to lose weight is 20% of TDEE (.20% X 2033 = 406 calories)
    Your optimal caloric intake for weight loss = 1627 calories
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    So if my TDEE is 1700 and I burn 1000 in activity. What should I be eating. As I say, I'm not eating crap. For instance after exercise is like a glass of milk and a banana but at 1200 cals, it's difficult to fit in luxe ties like that. Also, as a vegetarian, on low calories I can't really eat nuts, advicacos and cheese on very low calories. I'm NIT talking about eating donuts for breakfast.

Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) includes your activity.

I'm not really sure what you're asking. You mean to say you've set MPF to give you 1200 calories a day? If you're exercising worth 1000 calories a day you could (and should) eat more than that 1200. Probably not 1000 extra since the calculations can be wildly off, but eat another 750 or so. That gives your 1950 calories for the day. Which is actually about the average recommended for a female. You can definitely add some nuts or cheese in there.
    In fact, I eat 2000 calories a day, and eat cheese and nuts every single day.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban

It is silly to get hung up on a calorie number like 1200 calories. This number is relative to your BMR. If you are a bigger person this is a low number, if you are small like me this is a large number, barely below my RMR.

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for woman over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I pretty much proved that for myself by staying strong and building muscle and doing what I did. I'm the leanest, most muscular, and most fit that I have ever been in my life at almost 52 years old.

Separating out the the two things worked for me:

1) Eat less to lose fat.

2) Exercise to gain or maintain lean body mass.

Ignore exercise calories because it's insignificant when you don't have to worry about starvation mode anymore and it's highly over rated. Of course you burn energy, but not nearly what any of the devices say you do.

If you are not doing a weight training routine you need to start one and do it the rest of your life to ward off osteoporosis.

The full story of my struggle with this here and why I know this is true --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Losing weight and keeping it off is mostly about how much and what you eat. However losing weight and keeping it off is also about increasing activity as you can and what goes on in your head so you can sustain new healthier habits.