CHILDHOOD OBESITY

Options

Replies

• Tixxie
    Options
    You might want to read this article - there's been much talk in the UK recently about whether allowing a child to become extremely obese is child abuse and therefore should they be taken into care.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19267308

And for those that immediately think no, it's not abuse, would you feel the same way about a parent starving a child to the point of malnutrition?
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'm looking forward to checking all these suggestions out tonight.

I'm quite interested,
    Even though I was never affected by it , I was luck enough to have a very healthy upbringing.
    I like hearing all the different perspectives :)
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Thyroid problems and diabetes can make a child obese :)

Perhaps, but these problems do not lead to significant weight gain.
  • butterflyqueen1984
    Options
    I have always been obese! My parents took me to the doctors a dietion I think it was called! And I was put on a special diet, since then my body kind of shut down from food that it didn't like and I started getting food tolerances. This made me really depressed I felt like I couldn't eat what I wanted to, I was put on soya milk/goats milk as I was intolerant of milk, I wasn't allowed beef (to this day I cannot have beef) allergic to chocolate, certain additives, oh the list is endless! One day I got so fed up of being restricted of what I could eat I just binged, chocolate, crisps, fizzy drinks, fish and chips. I realised that I could handle the pain of eating these foods and just keep going. In the end my body just got used to fatty foods again and the weight crept up, the only food I have to be careful with now is dairy and beef. I do not blame my parents for any of this, they always made sure I ate healthy all the time. But when I got my pocket money that's when the crisps would be brought etc, I do think that if you restrict a child from unhealthy foods THE WHOLE time they will want to eat it more because people always want what they can't have!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    There are very very few conditions that cause children to be overweight, and diabetes is not one of them, if anything, type 2 diabetes is caused by diet, not the other way around. I work in child health and in almost all cases children who are very overweight are overfed and don't take enough exercise, that is the bottom line.

Parents have no idea about portion sizes and how little a child needs in comparison with an adult, a childs stomach is the size of it's own fist, and if overfed it will grow, and thus need more to fill it, and thus feel more hungry...a vicious circle. Many parents 'love' with food, reward with food, use food as a way to pacify etc

Food does not equal love...I never reward my children or grandchildren with food or sweets, love is taking care of someone, not feeding them, its just that so many parents think that by feeding their child 'well' they are being good parents, it does not work like that, and it breaks my heart at how well intentioned so many women are, they will sit with me telling me their child eats next to nothing, when the child is clearly over weight, unfit and does not do enough activity...We are trying to educate parents, but there is a great deal of resistance and anger
  • ebony__
    Options

started to check them out, i have a really bad internet set up atm but bookmarked for later, thanks looks really interesting :)
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    As others have said, no these may cause a slightly higher than average weight in kids but boy obesity.
    Some children have traits that just make them obese. It's not always the parents fault.
    Oh c'mon! What are these traits? A love of pizza and computer games? I have a friend with a morbidly obese child and the above two quotes sound exactly like the excuses she comes up with for her child's weight problem. Much easier than taking responsibility for it herself.

Kids can be emotional overeaters but obviously not every single obese child is.

It's child abuse. Plain and simple. Nobody is dumb enough or ignorant enough not to know that eating too much junk = major health problems. Hope these parents can look their kids in the eye as they're sitting in a hospital bed as young teenagers with cardiovascular problems; orthopaedic problems, breathing difficulties etc., etc.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I would not consider myself "obese" as a child, but definitely over weight. My parents enrolled me in any sports team/activity that I wanted to - skating, soccer, basketball, volleyball, dance - just to name a few.

My parents also grew up in the 1930''s where money and food were not easily accessible. For this reason - you NEVER stopped when you were full, you ate until the plate was empty. Our intuitive eating abilities were destroyed because of this. I based on when I have had enough depending on what is left on my plate - not what my body is telling me.

Needless to say, our meals were kid friendly - with large proportions. It was not so much about unhealthy food, but the proportion sizes and the whole "eat until your plate is empty, or else you will get punished" type of deal did not help my situation.

Over the past few months i have realized that I have never been "taught" how to eat properly! I ate nothing but carbs and meat - no veggies, no fruit. I did not even think it was THAT important. I am sure I am not the only person out there that never was educated on healthy eating and proper food proportions out there. This is the responsibility of the parents! (I am too old now to blame my parents), but this is going into neglect. When a parent is too scared to let their kids use a knife or stove to teach them to cook - that is neglect. This is a parents responsibility, and like someone on this forum called it the "bubble wrap" generation will not stand a chance.
  • ChelseaYepThatsMe
    Options
    Some people in general are genetically built to be big. But as a parent of a very healthy little girl, I don't understand how people can just give in to their children. Yes, my daughter gets the occasional happy meal or ice cream and candy, but i don't make a meal out of the stuff. She'd rather drink water than anything else because thats what mommy drinks. If you set the example the child will follow.
  • SuperstarDJ
    Options
    There are very very few conditions that cause children to be overweight, and diabetes is not one of them, if anything, type 2 diabetes is caused by diet, not the other way around. I work in child health and in almost all cases children who are very overweight are overfed and don't take enough exercise, that is the bottom line.
    Children are not supposed to get type 2 diabetes!!! That is a new phenomenon caused by early onset obesity, diet and lifestyle. Kids with type 1 diabetes (the type [/u]normally[/u] associated with children) are often thinner than their non-diabetic peers as it's harder to get kids to maintain tight blood sugar control.
    Parents have no idea about portion sizes and how little a child needs in comparison with an adult, a childs stomach is the size of it's own fist, and if overfed it will grow, and thus need more to fill it, and thus feel more hungry...a vicious circle. Many parents 'love' with food, reward with food, use food as a way to pacify etc
    But why are parents now suddenly unsure about portion size??? How come our parents and their parents before them seemed to have it down to a tee, yet they had little to no knowledge about nutrition? Here we are, living in a time where we have never had so much access to information on nutrition, it's written on packages, on menus, every second TV programme and newspaper/magazine article is nutrition-related and yet parents have never been so dumb about portion size or food choices they make?
  • ebony__
    Options
    It makes me especiallly sad when some of the kids you see are so so young,
    at the younger ages the parents have full control of what they feed their children the majority of the time.
  • Hellavaloosa
    Options

Food does not equal love...I never reward my children or grandchildren with food or sweets, love is taking care of someone, not feeding them, its just that so many parents think that by feeding their child 'well' they are being good parents, it does not work like that, and it breaks my heart at how well intentioned so many women are, they will sit with me telling me their child eats next to nothing, when the child is clearly over weight, unfit and does not do enough activity...We are trying to educate parents, but there is a great deal of resistance and anger

I agree with this. I still remember getting milkshakes with Mum after school once when I was upset because I came last (again) in a school running race. I just don't think she realised and admitting I was overweight might implicate her in some way - that is not an easy thing for somebody who genuinely loves their child to do. Even now she says I don't need to lose weight. It's OK though - yes I think I missed out on some things other kids did because I was overweight - but hey - life is all an experience and buying single figured size clothing wouldn't feel nearly so awesome if I had been this skinny all my life!
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    I took my son to a children's party today, it was at one I those fun factory kids places and was all catered for and yoour not actualy allowed to take your own stuff in.
    In my opinion the food was pretty crap to start with, the basic kids party food , but fine what ever rs just a one off type thing.
    But there was a woman there who had taken a heap of stuff in her handbag, her two kids were noticeably a lot bigger than the others there, every time they went to get a drink she would fill their glasses with coke or soft drink even though they seemed perfectly happy with the water the other kids were having,
    And when it came time for them all to sit at the tables and eat their food, her kids were happy to have the same as the others, but she piled their plated up with stuff from her hand bag like crisps and Lollies.

I found this really sad.

The kids were all about 5Years old at the party

That's horrible! :frown: That's 100% the parent's doing, not the poor child's.
  • pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Diabetes doesnt make a child obese, being obese increases the likelihood of having diabetes (type 2 that is). Its cause and effect. Also its a common misconception that only fat people can get type II diabetes. Diabetes would only increase the likelihood of gaining weight, not cause weight gain. It can easily be counteracted by good diet and regular exercise like in anyone.

I have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic and have an underactive thyroid and have never been heavier than 120lbs. Again exercise and good diet counteract any weight that I should have gained from the conditions- also without the help of medication.

People who blame medical conditions infuriate me.
  • wannabfit34
    wannabfit34 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm with you we can control what our children eat and their activity levels. I have a cousin who is 17 and was never taught to eat properly, she already has type II diabetes. Her parents were always to afraid to help her take control. While I don't think we should push kids to the point of disordered eating etc, you have to be a parent. As for hypothyroid etc, yes get checked for things like that but know that ultimately it is the responsibilty to get the kid eating right and moving more.
  • SuperstarDJ
    Options
    It makes me especiallly sad when some of the kids you see are so so young,
    at the younger ages the parents have full control of what they feed their children the majority of the time.
    I agree. It is awful to see an obese 2 or 3 year old toddler. They are not responsible for their food choices. Healthy eating initiatives in school are a waste of time too because, once again, the government is placing responsibility on the wrong shoulders - the kids! Parents need to be educated on healthy eating. When you buy a dog you learn about what you feed it and how much for god's sake! I was at the zoo a few years ago and saw a mother with her very obese child looking at monkeys. The child had a huge bag of crisps and he was about to throw one over to the monkeys. The mother grabbed his arm and told him not too. When the kid asked why, she responded, "because crisps are not good for them and will make them ill". Eh, so it's not OK to give an animal one but it is OK for your 6 or 7 year old child to have a whole family-sized pack to himself???
  • pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options

this ^^
  • ebony__
    Options
    Deleted
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I was bigger as a child, but not fat really, but when I got to my teens I put on loads of weight and I got really big. I don't know why really as my mum has always made healthy food and we never had take-aways, plus she didn't learn to drive until I was 14 so we walked everywhere, and I did swimming, badminton etc.

I did lose loads of weight when I went to university, but I hardly ate at all, and walked or cycled everywhere,

My parents are overweight - my dad is massive - and both my grandmas were overweight etc. I have to work incredibly hard at being thinner, as do my brother and sister. I've put weight on over the past few years from having 2 children close together, but have managed to lose it again. I am just predisposed to weight gain unfortunately.

It does scare me that my children will end up overweight, but I think I know a lot now about nutrition and exercise. Luckily, so far, my kids are both tall and slim. My 3 year old is way above average height, and underweight for his height. He doesn't eat a lot, and won't even eat chocolate! The only thing he asks for when we go to the supermarket is alpro soya chocolate milkshake and yoghurt! His favourite foods (apart from milkshake and yoghurt!) are baked beans, scrambled egg, broccoli, banana, chicken, fishcakes, melon and tuna!

My 16 month old will eat anything, but she loves fruit and veg, so she is easy to give healthy meals to. She really loves peas, grapes, carrots, strawberries, fishcakes and banana.

Both children are incredibly active and my son can walk for miles. He stopped sitting in a stroller not long after he turned 2. I hardly ever use my car because we just walk everywhere.

So I do think it's up to parents to lead by example, and obviously parents are in charge of what their children eat, and it upsets me when you see a child sitting in a stroller eating Mcdonalds fries, but I also think that some kids will be overweight no matter what. I will be making sure my kids continue to be active and as soon as they're old enough they'll do some sort of lessons. My son will start gymnastics soon as he loves it.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    This is a hard one
    - some parents are just irresponsible
    - some children eat secretly (thinking high school age here)
    - some refuse to eat certain foods... - thinking my little sisters friend here, shes really skinny, but will only eat pizza, chicken, crisps, chips, and chocolate...
    - emotional eating can apply to children as well as adults
    - sometimes guilt = chocolate and sweeties

the last two apply to me i was tiny with waist length blonde hair till i was about 7, then stuff happened in the family and i started to refuse to go to school, i was dragged there in tears every day, "you can have this... or that.... or anything if you will just go to school... "

you cant tar everyone with the same brush... parents have a hard enough job as it is sometimes...