Weight Lifting

Options
I am new to weight lifting and was wondering if anyone is an avid weight lifter that could help me out? I am wanting to start lifting regularly and wanted a basic rundown on what a good lifting routine would be. I know that you rotate legs and arms, but as far as amount of reps compared to weight and what lifts to do to turn fat into muscle is something I am not too familiar with. I know the basics ie bench, incline, squats, and curls, but I've seen the extremes at the gym doing some pretty intense stuff. Also, if you are on a low calorie diet, what are some good sources of protein?

Any answers help. Thank you!

Replies

• MetilHed
    MetilHed Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Not entirely sure about lifting routines for you, as I'm kind of looking myself. Many here recommend Stronglifts or The New Rules of Lifting For Women as a starting point. Both programs should have a built in progression.

You can lose fat, and you can gain muscle, buuuuut you can't turn fat into muscle. As luck would have it, if you are new to lifting and/or overweight, you CAN do both at the same time ("newb gains", not sure how long that lasts, and not sure how much calorie defecit affects this : )

Good sources of protein are lean meats, chicken breasts, eggs, greek yogurt, whey protein shakes (and more).
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    weight lifting is the main focus of my exercise routine. i do a full body routine 3 times a week, lift heavy and try to increase my weights with every workout.

starting strength and strong lifts are great programs to begin with since they focus on a few exercises so you can really learn proper form. new rules of lifting is good too but some of the routines get pretty complicated and less focused on building strength (at least from my experience ) in the later stages.

as metil said, you cant change fat to muscle anymore than you can turn an arm into a leg. fat and muscle are made up of different things.

if you do lifting, you shouldnt eat a low calorie diet because it'll get in the way of your recovery from a workout. eating 10-15% below your TDEE will ensure that you're getting enough calories to make progress on your weights, recover from your lifts and preserving as much lean body mass as possible while you lose weight.

another thing to keep in mind is that serious weight lifting will result in not seeing much difference on the scale, but your body will get smaller as you lose fat
  • MissCassieHughes
    MissCassieHughes Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting and settled into a good routine. I know exactly what I want so I've added stuff to compliment it. I used to get advice from the personal trainers but I honestly believe they are enemies of progress! My mantra is 'look like a lady, train like a man'.

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

That has got to be one of the best articles I've read. My problem is I haven't been consistent with upping protein and cals in the last fortnight but my body has changed so much since I've incorporated weight lifting! Good luck
  • kakklespakkle
    kakklespakkle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    From what I have read and researched, the kind of exercises many people are familiar with in the gym may not be the ones that help you progress the most. You could get a hundred different suggestions on here that are all different and that all work for the person in question, but which might not be suitable for you for whatever reason. A good, well thought out workout can make the difference between muscle gain / change in shape and neither. It might help you to look through some already established workouts in books or online so that you can decide if you like the methodology behind the programmes. I am currently working through New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm only half way through stage one, but I like it so far and am already making progress in strength. There are lots of other programmes I see people talking about on here, have a look through the many weights related threads and you'll get a feel for what are popular. Best of luck to you, weights are ace x
  • ssimmons1086
    ssimmons1086 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Baha... yes I know fat and muscle are different. It was a figurative term.. I guess I sounded pretty unintelligent.
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    check out my thread of links...do your research, and ask when you have questions (as you just did)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/743724-useful-links-for-you-must-read