Sugar intake?!? Help

Options
So I'm just wonderin how much sugar I should be intaking per day? Really tryin to cut and shred at the mo.. 3 interval runs per week, 3 weights sessions per week.. NET intake of 1700 cals per day with 40% being carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat

I'm just wonderin how much sugar is too much?

Cuz I just realised how much sugar is in milk and fruit!

Please help?

Replies

• RKAY89
    Options
    ... anyone? Lol
  • nintento64
    Options
    Start at reducing carbs...
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it. Unless you have a medical reason to watch sugar its not really a big deal
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that the first step be to be sure that your current sugar intake is from whole foods, i.e. fruits. Try to stay away from refined sugars and artificial sweeteners. If I focus on eating only natural sugars, I can usually keep my intake down pretty low. (Feel free to look at my diary.) I'm not a fan of milk, in fact I can't even remember the last time I had a glass, so I can't really help you there.
  • melhmltn2
    melhmltn2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I know for diabetics they have 45 carb grams per meal for 3 meals and 15 carb grams per snack for 3 snacks a day. However, I've learned tat restricting your ugar intake, except gor fruit and veggies, will help you to 'flush' your system and stop cravings, if you crave pasta, grains, or sugar. I'm currently doing a 17 day flush. I'm eliminating sugar and grains. So my diet is lean meats (fish, beef, and chicken - I don't like pork), unlimited veggies (seasoned ok, but no sauces dips), fruit, and 1-2 servings of low fat dairy (yogurt, skim milk, cheese). Hope this helps
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about it. Unless you have a medical reason to watch sugar its not really a big deal
    This. Unless you have an illness or allergy, sugar intake doesn't matter, provided you control your overall calorie consumption.
  • RKAY89
    Options
    I get ALL my sugars from clean foods such as fruit etc.. but I was just worried that I was intaking too much as I had been warned that "sugar is the enemy" of someone who wants to cut the fat round the middle.. even from clean foods.. the milk I intake is all for cereal and tea/coffee but there's like 12g of sugar in 200ml of milk! I think my diet is pretty good but I'm just worried about the sugar intake.. in case it's hampering my progress..?
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but I never count sugar in fruit. To me, fruit is the Earth's natural dessert so I don't bother keeping track. I don't think anyone got fat from eating too many plums or apples. I don't count the more sugary veggies either like carrots and beets. I try to buy fruits/vegetables that are fresh and not genetically modified or loaded with pesticides.

I don't drink cow's milk, I use unsweetened almond milk.
  • RKAY89
    Options
    Yeah I've been considering changing to soya milk due to the sugar... I've heard a lot about almond milk, but couldn't have it cuz the taste and smell of almonds makes me wretch lol
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Like some of the others have said, it's not sugar in general that's the problem. The fact that it's naturally in fruits and milk won't stop your losing necessarily, but the more processed foods you eat, the harder the weight may be to get off. Some people lose better on low carb (me included), so we have to watch our sugar more closely, but unless you are on a plateau, working out regularly, and eating clean, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are concerned about belly bloat from too much sugar, look into some of the yeast cleansing products on the market. There are plenty of supplements out there that claim to clean all the gunk out so that you won't have artificial belly bloat.
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    Yeah I've been considering changing to soya milk due to the sugar... I've heard a lot about almond milk, but couldn't have it cuz the taste and smell of almonds makes me wretch lol

From what Ive seen, soy and almond milk are both high in sugar.. well too high for me at least, I try to have under 20 grams a day but then again, some days I just cant seem to stop eating and might go over.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I try to watch my sugar, even in the health fruit. MFP said my limit is 24 grams a day, that's it, I have finally been able to get myself from not going over that. Learning what fruit has the less amount of sugar, it's been hard. But I think the sugar matters, but I could be wrong too, I just don't want to go over my limit.
  • RKAY89
    Options
    Like some of the others have said, it's not sugar in general that's the problem. The fact that it's naturally in fruits and milk won't stop your losing necessarily, but the more processed foods you eat, the harder the weight may be to get off. Some people lose better on low carb (me included), so we have to watch our sugar more closely, but unless you are on a plateau, working out regularly, and eating clean, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are concerned about belly bloat from too much sugar, look into some of the yeast cleansing products on the market. There are plenty of supplements out there that claim to clean all the gunk out so that you won't have artificial belly bloat.

Yeah I tried the keto diet (no more than 50g carbs per day) for 3 or 4 weeks but it got to the point where I just did not have enough energy and couldn't even go on my runs without feeling dizzy and sick.. so I figured that it deffo ain't worth riskin my health over and my sanity.. I've cut the carbs down though and get about 150g a day and I feel a lot better.. but yeah the general consesus here seems to be that it doesn't matter too much as long as it's CLEAN sugar, right? Some days I'm havin like 60g sugar though(?!) and some days only like 35g but I just CANNOT get it any lower.. check my diary if you're interested.. I've made a "diet" that ultimately makes me happy and I know that I can sustain and I won't go yo-yo diet on it.. but just worryin about sugar :(