Starting to lose motivation...

Options
Ive been on MPF since June and now since school has started, I am slowly losing motivation to lose weight. I now find counting calories very annoying and have been only using the "quick calorie" section. I think part of it is know that I am eating a deficit every day and not losing a single pound. It seem like ive reached a weight loss plateau as well. I still exercise like normal and nothing changes.

Im starting to think in my mind that maybe im just gonna be a big person instead of a skinny one. Nowadays, I exercise more for health instead of reaching a certain size or weight. I do it because its something I like doing for my cardio health. I dont know. I havent given up, its just that I havent based everything on reaching a certain size anymore. I just dont believe that being skinny will make my life better than it is. Im not one of those people who base their lives on what they weigh. I try to live my life now and enjoy each moment for the better. I still reference MFP when I eat, but it seems like the weight is not gonna come off.

I use to have high expectations on counting calories and Ive realized for me, thats only part of the equation. My body does not lose weight quick or every week. Maybe Im not eating enough, but I believe its just enough to keep it working. :)

I just dont know. I just feel like Im wasting my time trying to lose weight, when it may not be for me. I dont wanna here, "you're not trying hard enough", or any crazy suggestions. I just wanna hear from people who have experienced weight lose plateau and are on the bridge of excepting your self no matter what size you are.

Replies

• MissCassieHughes
    MissCassieHughes Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ive been on MPF since June and now since school has started, I am slowly losing motivation to lose weight. I now find counting calories very annoying and have been only using the "quick calorie" section. I think part of it is know that I am eating a deficit every day and not losing a single pound. It seem like ive reached a weight loss plateau as well. I still exercise like normal and nothing changes.

Im starting to think in my mind that maybe im just gonna be a big person instead of a skinny one. Nowadays, I exercise more for health instead of reaching a certain size or weight. I do it because its something I like doing for my cardio health. I dont know. I havent given up, its just that I havent based everything on reaching a certain size anymore. I just dont believe that being skinny will make my life better than it is. Im not one of those people who base their lives on what they weigh. I try to live my life now and enjoy each moment for the better. I still reference MFP when I eat, but it seems like the weight is not gonna come off.

I use to have high expectations on counting calories and Ive realized for me, thats only part of the equation. My body does not lose weight quick or every week. Maybe Im not eating enough, but I believe its just enough to keep it working. :)

I just dont know. I just feel like Im wasting my time trying to lose weight, when it may not be for me. I dont wanna here, "you're not trying hard enough", or any crazy suggestions. I just wanna hear from people who have experienced weight lose plateau and are on the bridge of excepting your self no matter what size you are.

I feel you, I felt like that at times and I guess it is just about what your goals are. I don't mean as in numbers but some people are unhappy with themselves and decide they are going to make a change and that is their motivation, with others it's a lifestyle choice, I think it's all dependent on the individual.

I try not to get too caught up in other peoples advice because when I've listened to myself and did what was right for me I shifted weight. I think it's really good to exercise for health in general and you seem like you have such a positive mindset about what you want.

In regards to plateuing, everyone says up the calories and change the workout but I'm a bit scared to up my calories just yet. lol I can't relate to not adding calories because I live on my app! Lol, good luck though.
  • rocraz
    Options
    Hi there Lacrimosia,

just like you, I've also reached a weight loss plateau. First off, I need to say that I don't do this just for the sake of losing weight, but mostly to improve health. I'm not obese, I'm 45yo, 5'6 tall and 156 pounds. 20 years ago, when I got married, I was 145 pounds and I reached 174 pounds. But, most importantly, my body fat percentage reached 22% ! ! Now I'm back to 14%.

What I think you should be careful is about the food you are having, because that was my problem. 3 years ago I started doing exercises and soon I reached my first plateau. Exercises wouldn't help anymore. So I went to a nutritionist who told me I should eat 7 times a day (yes, that's right). More than that, she prescribed me what kind of food I should have at what time of the day (like, mostly sugar in the morning and proteins in the afternoon). That made a big change for me and maybe it'll make it for you too.

Don't give up. As I told you before, I don't do this for getting a slimmer body (although I'm getting in shape). I want to be healthy so I can do the things I enjoy most, like taking care of my two kids (8yo and 5yo) and traveling. And as my kids are still too young, I need to live past 70 years to enjoy my grandchildren, right?

Cheers and I hope to hear from you!
  • RoseBlanc
    Options
    Lacrimosia, my advice to you is eat maintenance calories for a few days, exercise as normal, and then go back to your deficit again. Your body may just need to be shaken up and reset a bit.
  • coffeebrown5
    coffeebrown5 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Don't give up just keep exercising and eating right or maybe a tab bit less and you will see results.since school has started i have no time for the gym and i would love to be back n there i miss it so much but i pray better days are ahead.good luck and giving up is not an option!