does MFP work for kids?

Options
This is working for me and now my 11 year old asked if he could do it. (he is overweight- in the 95 percentile according to his pediatritians weight chart) We have been eating healthier and cutting out the junk-he has lost almost 10lbs over the summer- but he wants to do more. Does anyone know if the calorie amounts given by MFP will be adequate for a growing kid?

Replies

• NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    I would personally think not, but you should ask his DR what is the right amount of calories for someone of his age/height/weight.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    No.. there is a reason this site is for people 18+.

Your child is still growing.. and for all you know, he may grow a ton in these next few years and go from being overweight to being a normal weight.

I'd talk to his doctor and ask for a recommendation to a dietitian, and then ask them how much he should be eating.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    seek medical advice - but I can't see any reason why logging meals can do anything but help - and MFP makes this so simple.
    We often get them to keep a food diary to try to find where the refined carbohydrates are getting in to make such havoc with their teeth when Mum is in denial about sugar intake.

Thankyou so much, you have just made me realise how useful MFP could be for my patients. Thanks!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    No.. there is a reason this site is for people 18+.

Your child is still growing.. and for all you know, he may grow a ton in these next few years and go from being overweight to being a normal weight.

I'd talk to his doctor and ask for a recommendation to a dietitian, and then ask them how much he should be eating.

this.
  • twonkieone
    Options
    my 13 year old is overweight --- part genetics (we grow big guys at 6'3" as average) but due to concussion missed 2 seasons of football. i created an account for him not to lose weight but for him to see what he was eating. he's a carb addict!! we found out he was at 3x's the amount of sugar but at a deficit in calories every day. he enjoys logging on to see how many of the good stuff he ate and if he can keep the sugar down. if he loses weight in the process, fine ... i'm happy that he's aware of what he's eating and is focused on making good choices. he has no friends on here, cannot talk on chats or interact w/ anyone. i'm sure there's another tool at "www,myfoodpyramid.com" but this is easier because i'm on here every day. good luck!!! friend me if you want - happy to have a mom here w/ a son in the same boat!
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    eating healthier and cutting out the junk food is appropriate for everyone. Calorie restriction is not necessarily the right thing to do. Go to his pediatrician and consult with him/her on what is right for your son.
  • Davelh1976
    Davelh1976 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    my oldest son is overweight i made him aware of calorie intake and he has adjusted he has only lost 2 pounds in a month but he is not gaining ! he eats alot but doing better. i took him off soda and that makes a huge difference
  • chanson104
    Options
    MFP is specifically not for kids. You might look into Spark kids which is a similar site designed for kids.

MFP has helped me to lose over 100 pounds. I also have an 11 year old son who is overweight, and I have discovered that my example and open communication have been extremely effective in helping him. He was just talking to me the other day about how he can't believe what his class mates consider to be a healthy snack. I loved it!! I am amazed at how educated he has become about nutrition.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Make exercise fun. Go ride a bike, play at the playground instead of being cooped up in front of a tv, or computer all day.
    Feed them healthy snacks- carrot sticks, etc. That's all there is to it.
  • titanium96
    titanium96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Ireckon if you find out from a dietitican how many calories he should be consuming a day then this would be a useful guide to helpo track his food and exercise, but I wouldnt trust the calculation on here for a child. Find that bit out first and then use this as a tool rather than the rule!
  • emmalene1984
    emmalene1984 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I can't see any reason why the LOGGING aspect of the site can be anything but beneficial to your son, however,the calorie and macro nutrient goals you would need to speak to your doctor about and set them as he/she describes. also, remember that as a growing child there will be times when your son is overweight and others when due to a growth spurt he may change to 'normal' or even under weight. especially with boys, they need a little excess calories to help them grow tall. but overall, go on what your healthcare practician/ gp/ doctor says good luck to you both :-)
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I would not encourage dieting in a growing child. His biggest growth spurts are yet to come, and sometimes they come with chubby periods (girls especially). What is important for him at this age is exercise and eating good things. They need to eat fat for growth of brain and nerve tissue, so even there, dieting principles would not apply.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    10 lbs over the summer is great. (Maybe a little too much). Just keep him doing what he's been doing. Eating clean and getting outside and playing.
  • octleigh
    octleigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I think it is wonderful to be encouraging. However at 11 it isn't his responsibility to have to log food he eats. He should be playing and enjoying his childhood. You can help him to be physically active with you and have fun. Serve him healthy options and teach him how to eat healthy. If you start him calorie counting now you may be setting him up to have an unhealthy relationship with food and exercise. If you teach him and help change his habits together with you maybe it could be a healthy and pleasant change. He is go get taller too and that will help him naturally thin out. Good luck.
  • afsky20
    afsky20 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks all- you have given some great input. I think logging just to see what he is eating is a great idea but absolutely no set "diet" calories for him. he is still growing so if he (and me) can get an idea of where he might need improvements that may be helpful.
  • No, definitely not. Talk to your physician. Here is a link that will give you some ideas:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/220223-diets-for-11-year-old-kids/
  • KittenKittyKitteh
    Options
    You could always talk to your doctor or a nutritionist to find out what his calorie/fat/carb needs are and edit his daily allowances. I don't see the harm as long as it's done in a positive and healthy manner.
  • lvpthemvp
    lvpthemvp Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Whoa. It's still the internet and no way to control who he would encounter on here. . . I think he wants to log his food. which is cool. and can be done on a spreadsheet if you cannot find an age appropriate app. I would search the message boards and contact the MFP administrators. Good luck to you! and kudo's on introducing health to him at an early age.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    As it has been said, this site is meant for people 18 and over.

As a child, he still has a chance to develop normal, healthy eating and exercise habits that will allow him to regulate his weight without having to count calories. This is the natural, human animal way of going about it. We adults should have learned this sort of thing and not be scrambling to nickel and dime everything we put into our mouths or exert on a treadmill... but this is the way we must compensate, in a society that is so messed up when it comes to how we treat our bodies. We've developed a complex about it, frankly. Please, save your son from being one of us. Allow him to be one of those increasingly rare adults that is well-adjusted and active, and never has to count a thing. These people do exist, I assure you, and they are so very lucky.

Some key things I would teach your son (and lead by example) are that there are no truly "good" or "evil" foods, and that almost anything is okay in moderation. If there is anything that you must do differently than he does, for you to lose weight as an adult, explain to him why it applies to your situation and not his (and if you don't have a good explanation, chances are it's an approach you shouldn't be taking). Teach him the difference between eating because he is bored/emotional, and eating because his body needs nourishment, and how to recognize the signs of true hunger (including how NOT to wait until he is TOO physically hungry). Explain about how it takes awhile for his stomach to tell his brain that he is full, and that's why he should eat more slowly, learning to enjoy the flavours and textures of his food, and also be willing to leave his food for later... there is no rush to eat it, and there will always be more food if he needs it (so don't use the body as a garbage disposal, to cram in as much of an available treat as he possibly can. There will always be more tempting things, in the future. It's OKAY to leave that extra cookie for someone else, etc). Explain to him that the healthier, whole foods should make up most of what he eats (again, as part of moderation), and how lean meats and other proteins, healthier fats, whole grains (and fibre), fruits and vegetables, and drinking water will keep him more full while he is in the process of losing weight, and that he has to eat in the same way once he gets down to a healthy goal, and NOT just while he's in the process ("it's a lifestyle"). If you still can, at this time of year and in your area, bring him to a U-Pick at a local farm, and/or the Farmer's Market, and have him learn more about where his food comes from. It is so much easier to appreciate a fresh, ripened-on-the-vine fruit or vegetable if it you pick it yourself, if you can smell the earth on it, and if you both can talk to the farmers who grow and sell their own produce and other whole-food products. He is also at the perfect age to start learning how to cook (with adult supervision). If he learns to appreciate quality ingredients, including with treats (a homemade baked good with real butter, etc, is better than something from a vending machine), this will also help with moderation. Getting him involved in preparing healthy, tasty dishes is another great way to develop an appreciation for this kind of food.

As for physical activity, he really shouldn't be conscious of what muscles he's working, or how many calories he is burning. Exercise for kids should be about having fun. Get him involved in sports, riding a bike with friends (family bike rides, too, and family walks), water fights, you name it. Having him confident enough in sports while he is still pre/early junior high will set him up for a successful foray into school athletics programs, and subsequently good homework/sleep/other structured habits, in his junior/secondary years of school and beyond.

Of course, I would still recommend seeing your family doctor about this, just to cover the bases and see if they suggest anything that I'm missing.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I believe this site is only for adults but like some of the above posters have said, there are places like Sparks which is for kids.
    http://teens.sparkpeople.com/indexteen.asp

If you get him a Fitbit, their site has any age limitations but that's because their site is similar to ours and it's part of owning the Fitbit. Their database on foods isn't as good but he tracks all the same information.
    www.fitbit.com

This is another popular site. I found nothing on the terms of use regarding teens.
    http://www.fitday.com/about

This one states it does not collect information from kids BUT parents may give you permission. That means, mom or dad has to sign you up I believe.
    http://www.myfooddiary.com/