Calling all recovering/ex-binge eaters!

Options
Hey guys, I really need some advise and support. My binges have been getting worse and worse lately. Sometimes I can stop for two or three days but then the addiction just starts back up again. I'm afraid I'm going to fall into the binge and purge trap. :/
What works/worked for you guys to stop binging?

Also, feel free to add me! :] I need all the friends I can get.

Replies

• BaristaX
    BaristaX Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    will power and dedication!

also set some short term goals that are achievable and you stick with!, sometimes just a little bit of progress can give you enough boost to cut out bad habits, I am suggesting this because it has worked for me personally.

also, what helped me out was finding foods I could binge on (not by much though) that was actually beneficial to weight loss, like blackberries or small apples.

but in the end, only you, yourself, is the key to stop binging.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your having trouble with binging. That can be so hard on you emotionally. If you've been logging, try looking back at what you ate 24 hours before binging. Everyone is different, of course, but for me, eating a moderate amount of sugar or simple carbs leads to trouble within hours, or the next day. My last binge was a few days ago, but before that is was 5 months ago. I'm back on track again on my sugar free diet because the pleasure I get from eating sweets isn't worth the nightmare of being out of control with food.

My experience, for what it's worth, is this: I've noticed that it takes 3-4 days for me to get over the effects of eating empty carbs. I'm convinced it's physiological, not emotional. For days after eating something with sugar, I'm tortured by endless temptations. The only way I can get through it is to eat clean, and know that it WILL be over in a few days.

What I choose to eat is key in helping me avoid binges. Getting enough protein, fiber and water is important, and eating beans helps, too. Here is a quote from Veg News Oct. 2011: "Cravings for stimulant foods occur in individuals who are nutritionally deficient at the cellular level. If cells are truly fed, the craving for stimulants goes away... We're talking about neurotransmitters - dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine. Beans, peas, and lentils give you many of these; they provide the nutrients that can eliminate the desire for stimulant foods. In addition, they boost leptin sensitivity -- leptin is a chemical that tells your body your satisfied."

I hope you find the answer you're looking for.
  • xBrittanyK
    Options
    Honestly, the only thing that has helped me is therapy. There's usually a reasoning behind it, whether you realize it or not if you even remember it. It took 6 months of intense therapy to uncover my issue. I wish I could say I stopped the moment I found out, but I didn't. It took a few more months before I was able to stop having binge eating be my rescue for every thing in my life, be it good or bad.

I still have days where I feel stressed, lonely, sad, etc and I want to find comfort in food. Instead now, I find comfort in my husband who I had been shutting out or a friend. Or I go somewhere quiet and have a conversation with God. I'll go sit at the beach for a few hours and meditate and find that center of calm and remember that I can get past those feelings and that I really do have other resources than food.

Good luck to you, you can get through this. :)