Ugh! 1 pound, really!!!!!

Options
So annoying. I started Jazzercise and went 3 times this week. I stick to my calories and have been eating a bit more to keep up with the calories burned. Wondering if I should get a heart rate monitor to see "real" calories burned. (I had one but of course now that I want to use it, it's not working!!!) My diary is open if anyone has any clues. Maybe it's just a bad week or I weighed in too late in the day (I usually weigh in right after I wake up, but forgot and weighed in after my WO and 2 cups of tea and a bottle of fuse).

Replies

• chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My guess is the late weigh-in. 8oz of fresh water is a hair over .5 lbs. You said you had two cups of tea and a bottle of fuze. That would do it my guess, depends on fluid loss during workout but you get the point.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Sometimes my weight fluctuates day to day and so I would weigh yourself again tomorrow morning when you first get up.:smile:
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    Muscle gain?

Too much sodium the day before?

A pound is a pound. 1 pound a week is 52 in year. Don't sweat the petty stuff. (Don't pet the sweaty stuff either)

Be happy with what you have achieved, not upset about what you didn't!!!
  • entropybaby
    entropybaby Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1 pound sounds like a perfectly reasonable loss! And..it's a loss!! I like to think on weeks like that when you were expecting more, that all the exercise created a bunch of lean, mean calorie-burning muscle, and you got another pound off to boot! Keep it up and I bet you'll see more of what you want next week :)
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Im willing to bet your sodium intake is a way overboard...start tracking it
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    One pound a week is a very realistic and healthy goal. Weight loss doesn't happen overnight. Be patient and keep doing what you're doing.
  • start121
    start121 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Look at my profile pic... that it 1lb of fat! I think we forget sometimes that 1lb is actually a lot.

I know it seems like hard work at times, but there are a lot of things that impact on the scales. It's hard not to get caught up in it, but try to remember a loss is a loss. Keep doing all you have been doing and you will reap the benefits.

Well done on your loss this week!
  • MeghanLurain
    Options
    You would have to be very strict with your calories & what you eat to lose more than 1 pound a week, such as no processed foods, no added sugar, etc. A very clean diet . 1 pound is really good in a week though!

Regarding the HRM monitor, it will make it easier to keep track of how many calories you burn during cardio. I used mine during Zumba and always during my runs or elliptical sessions. Plus seeing how many calories I burn off is a great motivator.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    weight loss is not linear....You should not weigh yourself often if you don't understand all of the factors that affect weight fluctuations. There is a difference between weight loss and fat loss.
  • diva7531
    diva7531 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Your profile pic put it all into perspective! Thank you. :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Muscle gain?

Too much sodium the day before?

A pound is a pound. 1 pound a week is 52 in year. Don't sweat the petty stuff. (Don't pet the sweaty stuff either)

Be happy with what you have achieved, not upset about what you didn't!!!

Ain't no muscle gain happening with a week of Jazzercise! It's either just water weight or you ate 3500 calories over maintenance. Which do you think it is?

Edited to add: Did you gain one or lose one? I can't tell from your OP. If you lost one, what's to complain about?
  • Rogus1
    Rogus1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Look at my profile pic... that it 1lb of fat! I think we forget sometimes that 1lb is actually a lot.

Are you sure about the 1 lb? I've seen a similar demostration and that size looks more like an example of how big 5 lbs of fat is.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you lost a pound, awesome. A pound a week is great progress, I wish I was losing a full pound a week still, and I don't understand the post because why would you be upset over a loss of any kind?

If you gained a pound, my guess is 100% that you'd altered your weighing schedule and had had two cups of water pre-weigh in. That alone weighs a pound. So don't stress over it and just keep doing what you're doing.
  • diva7531
    diva7531 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I do know that a one pound loss is good. And yes, it was a loss (sorry for the confusion). I did weigh in this morning and am down 3, so it was all water weight. I think i went under 1200 once or twice in the last 2 weeks not realizing I needed to eat back some of my WO calories. But I know now that I am doing higher calorie burning WO's. Thanks for all of the advice, I felt better last night.
  • start121
    start121 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Are you sure about the 1 lb? I've seen a similar demostration and that size looks more like an example of how big 5 lbs of fat is.

!00% certain - the 5lb one is the one in the background. I have a pic of me holding that one too (think it's in my profile somewhere too). We use them in work so I know they are exactly right :-)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I do know that a one pound loss is good. And yes, it was a loss (sorry for the confusion). I did weigh in this morning and am down 3, so it was all water weight. I think i went under 1200 once or twice in the last 2 weeks not realizing I needed to eat back some of my WO calories. But I know now that I am doing higher calorie burning WO's. Thanks for all of the advice, I felt better last night.

Glad you are feeling and doing better. Just remember, the scale is a lying, no good b*tch! It will vary. If you live and die by it, you will die a thousand deaths. Work out. Eat right. Take some body measurements and weigh yourself occiasionally but don't make the scale your validation because, as you discovered, in the short term it can lie to you. Long term view!