Does restaurant/ take out foods seem off putting?

Options
From tracking your foods and what is in them daily..weekly.. do you avoid restaurants and take outs/fast foods now because its odd not knowing exactly what you are putting in your body and if the person washed their hands..?

I can't see myself eating out weekly like I used to.. even on a food binge I have no desire to order up a pizza or whatever like I used to..

Replies

• Amfro
    Amfro Posts: 12
    Options
    I wish that was the case. Pizza is the food I avoid, because I know one piece is out of the question. I can usually steer clear of it, but I know I'm in trouble when my boyfriend surprises me with any sort of pizza.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people feel that way at first. It can be difficult to estimate the calories in restaurant foods, so they avoid them.

You can still eat out, but you probably want to do it less frequently than you did before. The more you look at restaurant food, the more you see that most of it isn't terribly healthy. You can still work it into your goals, but that's easier to do when you consider it an occasional treat instead of something you do a few times per week or day.
  • karrathachick
    karrathachick Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!! I was at an outback event last weekend and there was barely anything available to eat that wasn't deep fried! I did the best I could with a burger on a bun and only ate a medium portion of it but yes it was tricky to estimate the calories. It's all about the big picture though and I'm sure it gets easier with experience! (I'm hoping!)
  • NadurraDeb
    NadurraDeb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have not found it that difficult to figure in restaurant foods so far. I had weight loss surgery so I end up eating tiny amounts right now. I have been able to find what I ate in the database that someone has put in. For example, I ate 1/3rd of a McDonald's cheeseburger after removing the top bun. I type in McDonald's cheeseburger and found that someone had put in figures for the cheeseburger with half a bun (or open faced). I type in .33 for the serving and it seems pretty accurate. I did the same for a sausage biscuit with egg breakfast sandwich...which ended up way more calories than I wanted...the biscuit is way more than the muffin in calories and fat btw. I had some gyros meat yesterday at the mall and found that too. In that case, I didn't find the exact restaurant I ate at, but I looked at the different gyros meat only options already in the database and found they were all similar. I picked one and estimated the ounces I ate. It might not be exact, but it is close and at least I'm being accountable. It's not really part of my plan to include fast food but I am on vacation, staying in a hotel with no refrigerator so I have had to be creative.

Also most big chain restaurants have websites with nutritional information on them. You can ask for nutritional information too and I have found that most restaurants are very helpful. Ordering off menu has not been a problem. They are mostly very accommodating. Then you can order something that you know you can figure out later without all of the sauces and such.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I stay away from them for the most part but will go if invited out. Being single puts a damper on bringing home a pizza when I only want 1 slice and knowing I wont/cant eat the whole thing.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Well, I still eat out a lot ....... even after watching "Hell's Kitchen" and "Master Chef" and seeing those cooks SWEATING into the food ...... BLERK !

That's probably why restaurant food always seems so salty :laugh:
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    skipping it - not because of the filth factor - but because its too hard to count and when I look up the nutritional value I get sick.

In figuring out portion control, healthy options and how many calories I should eat in a day- its borders on insulting to me that most chain restaurant meals have over 1000 calories (I only get 1400!) and your days worth of fat or salt in a sitting.

I now wish there were places that served cheese and fruit trays for friends to munch and socialize with and I seek out places that do have healthier choices and avoid deep fried places.
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I don't care really about caloric breakdown or any of that as I generally eat clean when I go out too. I don't eat fast food EVER because it is expensive garbage that is marketed as food. And I pass on eating out a lot because I don't like to pay for food unless it is something that is of the caliber that I can't prepare at home. I know that in those restaurants the kitchen is clean and prep is top notch as the chef's reputation is on the line.

Call me crazy, but works for me. :smile:
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    to a certain extent, like Starbucks, I check calories of drinks I like before I go out on their site...now means Starbucks is a rarity, mcdonalds was always a no-no
    recently started craving KFC so I'm staying away from there for a while (i don't normally eat KFC though anyway)

But I really like places like Yog (some places call it yogo - i think) or I hit boots and buy the lunch meals after checking out the calories and also YO sushi

student budget means restaurants are limited and now making my own meals I find "out" food doesn't taste the same, but if I do its healthy enough no pizza's etc more salmon salads/caesar salads or pasta (love Prezzo!)

I'm using MFP as a guideline but I'm not going to stop enjoying certain foods...if I want something unhealthy or high in calorie I'm going to work for it ! these changes need to be long-term and I've just got to learn how to manage and cope in certain situations not run from them
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I still eat at restaraunts occasionally, but usually only with friends.

I am always feeling like crap (physically and financially) after I do it, though.