GYM TOMORROW :D Advice please

Options
So a friend of mine has a two for one gym membership deal. And she can take me for free :D (I cant afford a gym membership.)

What exercises do you guys recommend? She doesn't spend much time there, so I need to make the most of these 20-30 minutes. I'm used to jogging, push ups, crunches and lunges at home, and the gym is foreign territory to me. What machines bur the most calories and really get your heart rate up?

Replies

• MissCassieHughes
    MissCassieHughes Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Interval training! High intensity! Like running on the treadmill at an incline of 10-15% at highest intensity. Then slowing it down for a 2 minutes. Bringing it back up again. I love it! You get more results from interval training on any machine I think.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    Interval training! High intensity! Like running on the treadmill at an incline of 10-15% at highest intensity. Then slowing it down for a 2 minutes. Bringing it back up again. I love it! You get more results from interval training on any machine I think.
    ^^ this. However, do not over do it, if you have never interval trained. The 1st time I tried it, i was flung off the treadmill and bruised my ribs/side. I couldnt breathe for a week and had to stay out of the gym :(
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Circuit training - especially if you already do the other stuff at home. Upper body machines one day, lower body the next day.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    If you do stick with it check out new rules of lifting for women.
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you do stick with it check out new rules of lifting for women.

Great book. Absolutely worth the money and time.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I would focus on things that I couldn't do from home. It sounds as though you already can do crunches, lunges, etc at home, so try some weight while at the gym.
  • MarshallCroft
    Options
    First: Show up!

Second: Intervals. But focus on those exercises that you can duplicate without a gym. Where do you normally work out?
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    well this might sound daft but when you go to the gym why not ask one of the trainers or instructors for advise as that is why they are there and you never know you might like what you do
  • arachniagirl
    arachniagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical - it seems to work muscles that you don't normally use when walking/running, I find it challenging.
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me doing this on the elliptical. I have worked myself up to an hour doing interval training. It is a great workout.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If you are going to a planet fitness check out the 30 minute circuit. area. There are a series of weight machines with step boxes for cardio intervals. It has a start stop light that helps you time the intervals. And the machines have pictures and instructions on them to show yo what you are supposed to do.

Have fun, break a sweat and do more the next time around. If its not planet fitness look for the same kind of circuit many "box"gyms have them these days and it can be a place to start.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    First: Show up!

Second: Intervals. But focus on those exercises that you can duplicate without a gym. Where do you normally work out?

Usually in my room/walking outside

Thanks guys :)
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    So a friend of mine has a two for one gym membership deal. And she can take me for free :D (I cant afford a gym membership.)

What exercises do you guys recommend? She doesn't spend much time there, so I need to make the most of these 20-30 minutes. I'm used to jogging, push ups, crunches and lunges at home, and the gym is foreign territory to me. What machines bur the most calories and really get your heart rate up?

look at what you already do.....try to find things that you can't do at home. Look to see if they have a 30minute workout circuit and get used to using different pieces of equipment, you can then eventually graduate to some free weights, but start with the equipment.