Forcing myself to eat 1200 calories

Options
A week ago I never imagined that I would have this problem, but within the past few days, I have literally had to force myself to take in 1200 calories, usually late in the evening. Last weekend I was excercising just to earn additional calories, lol! I have made a few changes in my diet and I've found foods that are nutritional and very filling. I'm just not hungry as often and I stop eating when I'm full, Weird? It seems strange to me that this change in appetite came so suddenly. What kinds of things do you eat when you need to tack on a few extra calories?

Replies

• pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    nuts are good.
    My appetite fluctuates all the time, one week starving, one week not hungry at all. I wouldnt worry unless it is prolonged.
  • BeckySBowen
    BeckySBowen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    True! I like that fact that I'm not always thinking about food for a change. I guess I have my mind on other things. :smile:

Unsalted almonds are usually my "go to" snack.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Anything that is calorie dense: nuts and nut butters are an easy way to add calories.
  • kbubbles87
    kbubbles87 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ^^ 1/4 cup of walnuts i believe adds on about 200 calories so that would be good! ... i cant remember exact calories though. my diary this past week is terrible so I wouldnt look at it but before that I got alot of my calories from meat/organic peanut butter/dark chocolate.
  • rboudiab
    Options
    :smile: As everyone above SaI'd!! Nuts nuts nuts!! But I never eat more than 700-890 a day.. I never go for 1200 I think that too much :$ But I know how u feel!! Not always thinking about food is awesome right!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Unless you are consuming far under 1200 calories every day (assuming you're measuring accurately), week after week after week I wouldn't worry about it, so long as you are eating nutritionally dense food.

Are you hungry? Are you losing weight? Do you feel good?
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    :smile: As everyone above SaI'd!! Nuts nuts nuts!! But I never eat more than 700-890 a day.. I never go for 1200 I think that too much :$ But I know how u feel!! Not always thinking about food is awesome right!!

Going under 1200 on a regular basis is very unhealthy and will actually slow your progress eventually as you body will think it is starving and start to hold on to what it has. That said, yes, nuts and nut butter work really well. Good luck.
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Nuts add calories but also add fat calories...so watch out for that...its just as important to keep your fat cals within range...When working out I usually jus add fruit for cals cause they are mostly carbs....and I use that energy for my workouts.... @ rboudiab And based on your RMR 1200 cals is prob not enough...I have learned that if you are exercising regularly that you need to be eating at least your RMR in cals to make sure your loss is fat and not lean mass...thats if you care about that...I wanna lose weight but not to the extent where I lose lean muscle mass....so I am eating 1500 cals, mostly clean, no preservatives, good carbs only and it is hard to get my cals while keeping in a 5% range for my carbs/fat/protein....and I got that from my nutrtionist because I work out 4-5/wk...
  • BeckySBowen
    Options
    Are you hungry? Are you losing weight? Do you feel good?

No, yes, yes :)

Ok, I'll stop trying to figure it out. I guess what bothers me is eating these calories (usually almonds) late in the evening. That will have to change. :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Going under 1200 on a regular basis is very unhealthy and will actually slow your progress eventually as you body will think it is starving and start to hold on to what it has. That said, yes, nuts and nut butter work really well. Good luck.

so, without sounding like a jerk (or trying to not sound like a jerk), the above statement is a reckless statement in my humble opinion. You can't know what everyone's TDEE is, thus you can't blanket a number and call that dangerous. What if the person is 4' 9" tall and is sedentary? Then their TDEE is around 1500 calories, in which case eating 1100 calories might be exactly what they need. Conversely, 1200 calories is a death sentence for me for an extended period, my TDEE is about 2800 calories, and eating below 2200 for an extended period will send my body into a tailspin of unbalanced hunger hormones.

The whole reasoning for the number 1200 was because the WHO reported that it was the average daily minimum needed by ADULT FEMALES in the world. A world wide average like this is essentially meaningless when talking about an individual's calories, and thus should never be used in the context you just put it in.
  • Cannwmor
    Cannwmor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising the right way that will increase your metabolism and you will get hungry. Weight training is the best way.
  • RoseBlanc
    Options
    Becky; peanut butter. Almonds/walnuts. Dried fruit (not the sugar coated crap, though), olive oil drizzle. :]
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Why 1200 cals?
    Its hormonal BTW so if you start adding in cals with each meal youll eventually raise the hormones that make you hungry.
    If you were to get to TDEE for a week you wont have this issue.

Avocados
    Whey shakes with each meal
    Nuts and oils
    Fruit juice
  • koridoobah
    koridoobah Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    nuts are good.
    My appetite fluctuates all the time, one week starving, one week not hungry at all. I wouldnt worry unless it is prolonged.

My appitite is the same way too. I can go a few days and just not be hungry... and then a few days after, I am like a bottomless pit and just never feels satisfied! :grumble:
  • BeckySBowen
    Options
    Agreed! I do need to add weight training to my exercise routine. Years ago I did the Body for Life program and saw great results. I can't seem to get back in the groove though. (And, the additional years, plus another baby, does not help.)

And, a shoulder injury limits upper body weight training. :cry: