Running headlamps??

Options
Now that the evenings are drawing in and the mornings will soon also be too dark to get out, I am thinking about getting myself a decent headlamp to be able to hit the trail.

Does anyone else use these? The ones I have looked at seem to be targeted at hikers but I assume they will be OK.

Any advice on which are good models to get, there seems a lot available and I don't want to waste my money.

Thanks

Replies

• amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Black Diamond just came out with a 75-Lumen Headlamp called the Sprinter that is designed for runners for $69.95. Best thing about it is that is is USB rechargable, so no need for buying batteries.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I have a Petzl Tikka XP 2 Core that is light, very comfortable to wear and has a (USB) rechargeable battery, and is very bright (it has 5 settings - high, med & low as well as a strobe and red led) I like to run early in the morning and the bike paths are pitch black - it does a great job lighting them up. I've also used it around the house when I needed light in cramped spaces.
  • EdgyMcSterious
    Options
    I got an Energizer headlamp at Walmart for like $12.00 super cheap and does the trick. Runs on two AAA batteries. Although I must say that the USB rechargeable sounds nice.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm going passive - I just purchased a bunch of those reflectorized snap arm bands, I figure I'll put one on each ankle and arm... that should make me be seen. (I hope!)
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    in headlamps, you pretty much get what you pay for. A $20 lamp will do the trick, but if you want to light up a dark trail, you may want to pay a bit more. If you can, try it on in the store to see how it feels on your head.
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Have been thinking about buying a headlamp - some people have told me that they find wearing it around their waist better since the light does bounce around as much as if they wear it on their forehead. Do other people feel the same way?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    They are better than reflective bands as they provide light for you to see in front of you. I got a cheap one from Tesco (in the UK( and I love it. I can now run and walk my fig in the night. I live in the country and there are no street lamps.
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I use an led headlamp that I bought at either home depot or Lowes. They are made for lighting things up to work hands free. It has the option to switch between red or white light . The white light is really bright. I don't remember the price exactly but it was under 20 for a two pack. It is small and light weight and the strap is comfortable. The batteries are changeable.

Edit: I just looked and the brand is brink man. I guess it uses the grill manufacturer brand name.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Have been thinking about buying a headlamp - some people have told me that they find wearing it around their waist better since the light does bounce around as much as if they wear it on their forehead. Do other people feel the same way?

I'd not thought of putting it around my waist but the thing I like about it being on my forehead is that the light is always shining in the direction my eyes are pointed. The other thing I do (which would work either way) is put a small flashing red led on the back of the strap so any cyclists approaching from behind can see me from a distance (it always amazes me when I see them riding in the dark with no lights......)
  • jonchew
    Options
    I'm going passive - I just purchased a bunch of those reflectorized snap arm bands, I figure I'll put one on each ankle and arm... that should make me be seen. (I hope!)
    They are better than reflective bands as they provide light for you to see in front of you. I got a cheap one from Tesco (in the UK( and I love it. I can now run and walk my fig in the night. I live in the country and there are no street lamps.

Good point - I'm a relative newbie at running in-general, and a total "dark running virgin", I'm sure that this will be an educational experience, this is a good thread to follow. I have one of those lamps that macdiver speaks of, perhaps I'll end-up with that around my waist, in the end.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I do "both". I have several headlamps. Black diamond, Petzl brands, and a couple of cheap ones from Walmart or Lowes type stores. I also have flashing LED lights and reflective wrist/ankle bands. When running in dard places I both want to see and be seen.

I notice a huge difference in the running/hiking specific headlamps and the cheaper ones, as far as comfort and stability in running. I now only use the cheap ones for working around the house where I need light. The Black Diamond and Petzl lamps I quickly adapt to and they don't bug me running.

I haven't yet seen the USB lamp. Should check it out. THe battery ones last a long time.

FInally, I'm tying to visualize how a lamp around the waist would bounce less than one on the head. Doesn't intuitively make sense to me.
  • jonchew
    Options
    IDK, I have this "thing" about the thought of wearing a head light (I know, really stupid)... anyone out there try Knuckle Lights as an alternative?
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    seems to me the bounce would be the same either way. but as someone else pointed out, if you wear it on your head then the light goes wherever your eyes do (which is crucial if you're on trails!).

one time a friend and I were hiking/running a dark mountain in the middle of the night. We each wore two lights: one on the head and one on the waist.