Cannot get off chocolate at all. Help?

Options
So i'm on the mission to attain fitness but one thing that's killing my diet and workouts is my absolute addiction to chocolate. I grew up with unrestricted access to all sorts of junk food and now that i'm older i'm extremely reliant on chocolate and can never stop myself even if i know i should.

I've changed my diet a lot recently (managed to ween myself off fried chicken, whew) but i know it's purposeless because of my insane cravings for chocs. I can consume up to 1000calories worth of snacks (just snacks) a day, especially at night which is when i should really not be consuming them. I know some people go cold turkey and no longer feel the need for them after a couple of days but i just can't. Small portions don't work either. I've tried using peanut butter/almonds as replacements but the craving returns within 20mins. I have yet to try taking whiffs of vanilla oil but i definitely am in need of serious advice.

I'm not fat but this definitely won't help with toning up/getting abs. Help?

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Could you try cultivating an appreciation of better brands of chocolate and eating small portions? The best brands are more expansive because the ingredients are better. Use the expense as a reason for considering them as a treat. Research the kinds of chocolate that are supposed to be healthier, although chocolate can't really be considered a health food unless consumed in tiny quantities.
  • josyjozy
    josyjozy Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I never let giving up chocolate cross my mind. I just changed my chocolate. No empty calorie chocolate. My go to chocolate fix is a chocolate protein bar. Not one of those crazy gross 30 grams of protein. Aldi's has some chocolate, and chocolate peanut butter that has 10 grams of protein and tastes pretty good.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I eat the nice and dark and rich chocolate and now I can have smaller amounts because of how rich a smaller amount is. So if your use to eating eg a dairy milk bar move to a 50% cocoa (I like the lindt bars) and then keep increasing the % of cocoa until your well above the 70% and you may find that the craving go down.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I loooove chocolate:heart: . I know what u mean. For myself In the begining chocolate would be my downfall. Then I had chocolate twice a day. For example first snack chocolate granola bar and the second snack on the afternoon chocolate rice cake, topped with sugarfree chocolate pudding cup and a few sprinkles mini chocolate chips. About 150 calories if used 1/2 tbsp of nestle semi sweet mini chocolate chips:bigsmile: . I put the minis in yogurts and about anything I can come up with. It makes a lot of chocolate to taste with not so much in it. I used to need it twice a day. Then once and sometimes now I can go a few days without even thinking about it. If you commit to have it small amount a day you can control you can have a good "relationship" with it and eventually not binge everytime you taste it, cause lets admit it its pretty great. No need to ban it if you plan for it.
  • bilberryjam
    bilberryjam Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring sugar? If not, I think that's your first step: find out how much sugar you're eating.

The second step is to decide how much you want to eat.

Because binging, craving, suffering withdrawal - these are things addicts do.

I would love to be the kind of person who can eat a square or two of dark chocolate after dinner and not eat the whole bar - but I'm not and it sounds like you're not either.

Personally, I've found it much easier to cut chocolate out than cut down. That doesn't mean I'll never eat chocolate again. It means only eating it when I *really* want to eat it, not because I'm a hostage to cravings.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Eat 70% dark or higher if you like chocolate.
    The MUFA in it is good for weight loss.
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I like dark chocolate the most - it's the most rich, and could in turn help your craving to eat large amounts of it.
    Also, chocolate tea :love:. If you're able to drink it clear, typically it comes in at or under 5 calories a serving - it's one way I get my fix without feeling guilty. :tongue:
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Eat 70% dark or higher if you like chocolate.
    The MUFA in it is good for weight loss.
    Absolutely that, and only eat a small square! or 1/2 of that, never the "reccomended" serving
    Also, Lucky Vitamins is a great source for flavored stevia, that was an absoluye for me when I was breaking my sweet tooth - they also have a chocolate stevia, you may want to check it out.
    Best of Luck to You!
  • katarinakr
    Options
    Why get off chocolate at all? Can you keep small amounts around, like bite size pieces in the freezer?
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Try eating chocolate sludge (also called chocolate protein fluff -- a weight lifters' staple), or make chocolate smoothies with chocolate protein powder, chocolate soy milk, and an optional banana or spoonful of peanut butter.