Not Sure Where 2 Post - Does Anyone Use ...

Options

Replies

• BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i use both tape measure and scale, sometimes only one changes, sometimes none changes, sometimes both change...but i just plug along. i know i am stronger and healthier and fit in clothes 6-8 sizes smaller :)

I recommend measuring both every 30 days. The fact that you are in a smaller clothing sizes demonstrates that you are DEF heading in the right direction.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I don't. It's too inaccurate for me. How do you know you are measuring in the exact same place everytime? How do you know you aren't just measuring a little tighter than last time?
  • BikinimomE
    Options
    I don't. It's too inaccurate for me. How do you know you are measuring in the exact same place everytime? How do you know you aren't just measuring a little tighter than last time?

Because if you are following a proper meal plan and moving about more it is IMPOSSIBLE to make such human errors every 30 days.

Please don't measure ANYTHING for 30 days - whether we are talking progress pics, tape measure or scale.
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    most definitely!!!! LOVE my tape measure......AND baggy clothes
  • BikinimomE
    Options
    oh hell yeah. me and the tape measure have a way better relationship than me and the scale.

:bigsmile:
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Tape measure has been my best friend =D

Since last November I have only lost 5.3kg (about 13lb) but I've lost 83.3cm (32.79inches) WOOT WOOT!!! LOVE MY TAPE MEASURE!!

That is great! I could definitely see how using just the scale would be discouraging.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    OH god DO use a tape measure people esp if you are on the larger size! my chest for instance started at a 69" and now down to a 38" and ive not finished yet,if the scales dont move for a while the tape still does! :)
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i use the scales, tape measure and body fat numbers to try and get a better picture of what is going on. mostly though, i just try to have some faith. if you're eating right, and working out, things will be changing for the better.
  • johnnys30
    johnnys30 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't have a tape measure yet but I do know that I was given the same size pants for work last year and this year and this year they almost fall off. :)
  • BikinimomE
    Options
    Hi, I'm new....I wasn't thinking about measuring...guess it's a good idea. I've always had the problem of losing slowly and get depressed about it. I need things to keep me motivated.:smile:

Barring physical ailment, progress pics and tape measure every 30 days will be your best friend if you are following a proper meal plan and make a conscious effort to move about. And that's not because "I said so," it's simple biology.

For women chest is measured ABOVE the breast, in the armpits. For men chest is measured at the nipples.

Your waist is measured (both men and women) at the narrowest portion of your waist (which may not necessarily be at the navel).

For both men and women you measure your hips where you are biggest around. If you carry "more junk in your trunk" lol then that is where you measure. If you have wider hips then you measure at that point.

Thighs are measured at their biggest point for both men and women.

Calves, forearms, biceps, for both men and women are measured at their biggest point - relaxed, not flexed.

Neck is self-explanatory. LOL
  • BikinimomE
    Options
    I don't have a tape measure yet but I do know that I was given the same size pants for work last year and this year and this year they almost fall off. :)

:smile: Excellent progress. As you get closer to your fitness goal you will find progress pics and tape measure to be helpful tools.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Tape measure has been my best friend =D

Since last November I have only lost 5.3kg (about 13lb) but I've lost 83.3cm (32.79inches) WOOT WOOT!!! LOVE MY TAPE MEASURE!!

OMG - That is Fantastic!!! Congrats to you!! Reading that really makes me want to use my tape measure more often..lol Thanks for sharing your Awesome progress!!! :flowerforyou:

ETA: typo...lol
  • BikinimomE
    Options
    i use the scales, tape measure and body fat numbers to try and get a better picture of what is going on. mostly though, i just try to have some faith. if you're eating right, and working out, things will be changing for the better.

Without question. Sometimes though (I am not excluded here) your mind will play tricks and you may want to make crazy radical adjustments because you think you haven't progressed. With these types of measurements you'll be able to come back to reality and avoid falling into traps.
  • BikinimomE
    Options
    Also I forgot to mention performance gains whether that be endurance and strength are also EXCELLENT indicators of progress!!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Knowing what my ideal shoulders, waist, and hip circumference should be helped me reach my goal and see progress, as well as my "weight range".

But also taking front, side, and back profile pictures helps you see progress you won't see in the above mentioned metrics.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • BikinimomE
    Options
    Remember everyone: whether it is tape measure, progress pics, strength/endurance gains or scale - EVERY THIRTY DAYS!!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new....I wasn't thinking about measuring...guess it's a good idea. I've always had the problem of losing slowly and get depressed about it. I need things to keep me motivated.:smile:

Barring physical ailment, progress pics and tape measure every 30 days will be your best friend if you are following a proper meal plan and make a conscious effort to move about. And that's not because "I said so," it's simple biology.

For women chest is measured ABOVE the breast, in the armpits. For men chest is measured at the nipples.

Your waist is measured (both men and women) at the narrowest portion of your waist (which may not necessarily be at the navel).

For both men and women you measure your hips where you are biggest around. If you carry "more junk in your trunk" lol then that is where you measure. If you have wider hips then you measure at that point.

Thighs are measured at their biggest point for both men and women.

Calves, forearms, biceps, for both men and women are measured at their biggest point - relaxed, not flexed.

Neck is self-explanatory. LOL

Thanks for this info b/c I am always worried that I am not measuring in the right places but I am - except in the chest - I need to move that one...lol :happy:
  • BikinimomE
    Options
    Knowing what my ideal shoulders, waist, and hip circumference should be helped me reach my goal and see progress, as well as my "weight range".

But also taking front, side, and back profile pictures helps you see progress you won't see in the above mentioned metrics.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

^ YUP
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My preferred way of tracking progress is photos taking with the self timer. I've been "at goal" for over a year now, so there's not going to be any massive changes on the scale or with the measuring tape (who goes "WOOHOO!" over 1/16th of an inch?!), but in photos, I can see improvements.
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm about to go do that now actually.