Newbie that needs advice

Options
Hi!
I am needing a few friends for support - I will also support you!
So I am 5'10'' and 140 pounds and was just wondering if 120 pounds is too much of a goal! I do swimming twice a week, ballet once a week and tennis twice a week. Do you think that 120 is achievable?
Love Mathilda xxx

Replies

• Kal_n_22
    Options
    Yess, you will defiantly be able to achieve that!!!
  • EssentialElement
    Options
    As long as your goal is a healthy goal then go for it. Eating healthy and exercising will get you there. Don't give up. Focus and make sure you log everything you eat and all the calories you burn. Stay focused and you can be the size you want to be. Slow and steady wins the race. Don't focus on quick fixes.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Achievable, yes. Advisable? Probably not, as that's a BMI 0f 17.2.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    At 18 years, 5'10" and 140 lbs your BMI is 20 that is the very low end of the healthy range for 5'10.
    If your goal is to be 120 lbs that puts your BMI at an unhealthy 17.1

A lean BMI can indicate that your weight maybe too low. You should consult your physician to determine if you should gain weight, as low body mass can decrease your body's immune system, which could lead to ilness such as disappearance of periods (women), bone loss, malnutrition and other conditions. The lower your BMI the greater these risks become.

You do NOT need to lose any weight at all. Please talk to your MD about what is a healthy weight for you.

If you do not like the look of your body you need to look at body fat % and build muscle. It will change your shape and may even add weight but you will LOOK smaller. Take a look at the pix in this link - you can see the difference the body fat % makes in people who are all the same height.

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

You are already very active - take a look at "the new rules of lifting for women" there is a group here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
  • Josh2040
    Josh2040 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    From the research I have done for someone like yourself that is already in shape but would like to "tone up" is that picking a weight to try ane acheive may not be a feasable option as a fitness/health goal.

Take a look at this web site: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/body-fat-chart.php

What may be more appicable is determining what you want your HEALTHY body fat percentage to be for your age, and height. Understanding that you are tall you may be looking at a weight somewhere around 130ish is as low as you can go and still be healthy, but that all depends on your measurements you put into that body fat calculator that is used by that website, which if it matters is the same formula used by the U.S. Navy. If you have more questions shoot me a message I would be more that willing to chat.