S.A.D

Options
Wondering if anyone out there suffers from Seasonal Affective Disorder? Im going to see my Dr next week about it, we think I may suffer from it, as my really bad anxiety spells in the past have always been in the winter months. Just wanted to know if there are others out there and what they have done about it?

Replies

• VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I have it. Exercise really, really, really helps. Also I bought one of those SAD lights. Helps a little.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Right now Im exercises 3-4 times a week and hope to keep that up over the fall/winter months.. so hope that helps! And Im going to look into getting one of those lights as well.. from what I can see.. they arent cheap!!!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I had it when I lived in Seattle. Here in Denver, it is not a problem. Try to get out as much as you can in the winter.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    Options
    Had it when we move from Florida to Massachusetts (there wasn't much I could do then since I was a teenager) moved back to Florida and now try to be outside as much as possible to be in the light
  • polishmehappy
    polishmehappy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    SAD combined with working night shifts (which is my case) is a pain in the *kitten*! Vitamin D3 is what has helped me the most
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    Options
    Vitamins is another thing we are going to discuss at my appointment.. i think she mentioned vitamin B.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Had it severely when I lived in New England. Not an issue since I've been in southwest. My doctor said that vitamin D usually helps people with SAD, too.
  • nicholettebell
    Options
    I developed S.A.D when I moved from Oklahoma to Oregon. I live in a valley and in the winter months the clouds hang so low that I can't see the tops of the mountains which make me feel trapped and suffocated. My first winter was awful. That following August I saw a single white puffy cloud and burst into tears. So I made an appointment with my doctor. She wanted to put me on anti depressant medication for the winter months only, but I like to explore other options before resorting to medication. She suggested I exercise as much as possible, go outside even when it's cloudy because I can still get vitamin D and eat clean. I've lived here for over three years now and I am able to cope with it much better.
  • RickBriggs
    Options
    The folks that live in Norway near the Arctic Circle (don't see the sun for a month in winter) have a unique solution. They create a little artificial "window" on the wall that is almost impossible to tell from a real window with natural spectrum artificial light and a scene of the sunniest day in whatever place they choose!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    A light box and especially a dawn simulator have made a huge difference in my household. Exercise works for some but the increase in light makes a big difference.

A dawn simulator gradually turns up the light in you bedroom at the same time every day so you r brain thinks it is still summer. It helps keep the wake sleep cycle on track. A Light box is a box you sit in front of first thing in the morning and sometimes in the evening depending on your problem. The light box needs to be 10000 lux to be effective.
    If you are diagnosed thes will be covered by medical insurance as durable medical devices so be sure to get a script from you MD if s/he decides that SAD is a part of your problem.
  • CarmenLynn75
    CarmenLynn75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The folks that live in Norway near the Arctic Circle (don't see the sun for a month in winter) have a unique solution. They create a little artificial "window" on the wall that is almost impossible to tell from a real window with natural spectrum artificial light and a scene of the sunniest day in whatever place they choose!

I LOVE THAT IDEA!! thanks so much for sharing! I have a bf that suffers from SAD and I know myself, come February this home will have 2 adults with the winter bla's.. what a wonderful way to keep optimistic about spring for us!
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    Options
    Looking into getting a doctors note and hopfully getting a light covered by insurance!
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think I may suffer from it. As soon as the weather start changing here in NY, I have felt a total difference in my energy level. Just amazing. Subconsciously, I think I may have an underlying depression, however, I really don't meet diagnostic criteria.