Feeling like a failure...

Options
Well every sunday I enjoy baking a treat (old school recepie, chocolate concrete).

I was doing so well, last time I made this I kept eating the ingredients =s
The cake was done, and I had to "test" it. Then I ate more than I planned and now i'm having a weird headache from the sugar rush, and I feel like i've let myself down.

Does anybody else have this problem? I think i'll just have to stop baking completely :( Even though I really enjoy it

I feel really negatively about what happened, i know it's silly...

Replies

• nikilovesaxl
    Options
    Its just one day. Shake it off and keep going :smile: .

I know what you mean about baking. I love it too. Don't give up something you love.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I love to bake, but there are a lot of a low calorie, fat carb dishes you can make. I made scones the other night 177 cals each I made them w/whole wheat flour and still had cals to consume for that day. It filled me up. I don't eat the batter because of raw eggs (fear of getting sick).

usually after standing there and stirring and mixing and being in the hot kitchen most of my appetite drops.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i did this last night too - i've been injusred so cant use excersise as a counter to anything i eat (a bad way to look at it i know). I havebeen doing really well, until i had a few drinks last night and came home and ate chips (yes they were kale but still), ice cream (keipher yogurt actually but still), and licorice.

Normally i dont care but all that sugar affetced my sleep and now i feel YUKKY for a sunday!

booooooo

hope you feel better - ia hev to go out to a "boozy" lunch now! not looking forward to it!
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    No need to stop baking just start looking for recipe's that fit into your daily life and bake smaller batches so if this happens again it won't be such an impact on you.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Do not beat yourself up thats what leads to failure. You made a mistake now carry on. Its ok happens to everyone. The important thing is you dont let it derail you. oh and look for clean eating baking recipes they are usually low in fat, calories etc..
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Its happened. Let it go. The past is the past. Get some healthy recipes and bake those. You don't have to bake unhealthy things. That is your choice. Change the way you bake so you can still enjoy it but eat healthy at the same time.
  • hpymrzsimmons
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. You slipped a little, but that doesn't mean that you have completely messed up your chances for weight loss. If what you ate took up the rest of your calories than don't anything else. The important thing is not to continue to make the same mistake because you think that it doesn't matter anymore. I think of it as one good decision after another. If the next time you eat, you make a good decision, then you are back on track.

Good luck! :)
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    yes yes yes I have this problem...its why I am in the situation I am in now.

Don't beat yourself up though, just finish your day strong. It is just a tiny hiccup in a long trip. It is bound to happen more than once so put it in your diary and walk it off. :)

Good luck, you are fine.
  • Cookiedough9
    Options
    Wow...I didn't expect so many replies so soon :)

Thankyou for all your replies and support <3 Glad you all understand
  • heatherlee33
    heatherlee33 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am so with you! I love to bake...which complicates things. And I know what you mean about doing something special on Sunday. I made banana-berry bread today, it smells SOOOO good. However, can I eat it? Yes...a tiny, little, infantesimal amount. I don't however mess with the dough because I have played that game of Russian roulette before and lost to salmonella.

So, what do I do? I give a lot away, I'm a show off that way. ; ) I bake cookies, eat 6 and feel like a failure...then I bag up the rest, leaving some for my family, and give the excess away. It's sort of a mind game. You see I always wondered when you saw a skinny person baking and loving it and sharing the bounty. I would sit and think, "Now how come SHE'S skinny?" Because she gives it away. People are so confounded and impressed by this..Oh the self control, she bakes and still looks good. Nope, no self control or will power involved.

And one more thing to always remember, no single day can ruin a lifetime of work.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    When I was in my weight loss phase I found I could only do it when I was strong, fed already, not hungry. I love baking too. I cook all my own food at home so this is always an issue. Sometimes chewing on dessert gum while I'm cooking helps keep me from eating while I'm cooking.

You have to forgive yourself and move on. It is not the end of the world. Tomorrow is a new day. It is not important that each day is perfect, it's only important to have more good days then bad, and learn how to prevent backsliding. The whole weight loss journey is an experiment for all of us, there is no right and wrong way, there is only what works for you. What works for the next person might not work for you.

Anyone can do it and any age, it is not easy, but it can be done http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Cheer up. I find doing something positive like getting to the gym asap gets me back in gear when I'm feeling low for eating more than I wanted to. Also drinking lots of water.
  • Superstar_81
    Superstar_81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Dont stress about it, we all slip now and again! At least you recognise what happened!! How about continuing to bake but selling your cakes etc? Nice wee sideline for cash and a fun hobby too :)
  • Gdzgal771
    Gdzgal771 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    you are only a failure if you QUIT entirely!!!! WE CAN DO THIS!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm very good at baking, allot of the military wives I know will pay me to make their cake for whatever occasion. Obviously you need to taste a little but what I usually do is just take a little dip of a fork to taste the batter, when it's done and I level the cake I taste a little bite of what I will discard. That's it. Don't keep eating loll as yummy as it is. Same thing if you make your own frosting/filling, just a little dip will be fine, your tasting not eating.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Drink some extra water, do some extra exercise and the sugar headache should feel much better, and it'll help even out the over indulgence.

It's one day. Be easy on yourself.

Start over tomorrow.
  • MsNancy1827
    Options
    A lot have already posted a reply about baking but did want to agree with them. Don't stop doing something you love but change your focus. Now make it a challenge to look for or make up a recipe that is healthy yet low in calories. Change ingredients to whole wheat flour, sugar twin or something, I can't believe it is butter, maybe even egg beaters. Not saying these things will all work but do some experimenting and keep on baking. Good Luck!
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I agree with others, it was one slip up. This won't be your only one, just get back on track now and keep going! My husband and I love banana bread and I now still bake it but I cut it up and freeze it so it is easier to eat in moderation and I have to plan to eat it since it takes time to thaw. So if you like to make sweets, think of a way to enjoy them in moderation- make cupcakes and freeze them, take out just what you plan to eat, make cookie dough and freeze it in small packs so you can just make a few at a time. This way, you won't deprive yourself of baking but you can still eat in moderation. You can find things that work for you!! You can do it!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    1. Try to make your recipes as healthy as possible without losing too much of the taste and texture you enjoy.
    2. Include protein powder so even if you eat a bit more than normal, you're still getting vital nutrition. And because protein is so filling, you won't be able to eat as much.
    3. After you taste test and are happy with the mixture, think about how you'll have less to enjoy once done or give to others if you keep sampling.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I've had to stop baking, too. I can't stop with just a single serving and if the item is in the house I will eat it all. :sad:

I'm working on a healthier version of pumpkin pie for the fall months. Trying to get the protein up and the carbs down on that one is tough. I may resort to splenda for baking, and I hate using artificial sweeteners in baked goods.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It happens to all of us. Don't let this be an excuse to say "to hell with it", and stop trying to do the right thing.
    Memorize the bad feeling after cheating, and use that to temper your cravings the next time.

They have a candy jar at work...they put it near my cubicle...After I decided i didn't want to eat that crap, there were many, many occaisions when I found i couldn't resist, and took a cookie or three or four. Eventually i got to the point where I don't eat that mess.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

DON'T LET A SMALL SET BACK KEEP YOU DOWN!