Going over on protein every day

Options
I think I am doing okay, mostly with my food tracking. But, every day I go over in protein. How bad is this?

Replies

• Batmanlovesrobin
    Options
    The same goes for me - will be interested to see the replies!
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Its not bad, MFP sets the limit very low
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    That's a good thing... MFP's protein goal is quite low, only 15% of your daily goal. Consider it a minimum goal to pass rather than a maximum to stay under.
  • chanson104
    Options
    I try to go over on protein! I think that is a great thing!!
  • _Tuyana_
    _Tuyana_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    As above, what is your macro setting? I set mine to be 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein. I try be at the level or slightly above for protein (no more than 10g over). Don't know whether it's a good idea, but there you go :ohwell:
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I agree, you SHOULD be going over your protein goal, way over! Protein is essential in building muscle.

Stay under calories, fat, carbs and go over on calcium, protein and fibre! :smile:
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Going over protein is not bad. The suggested amount it allots your on MFP is low.
  • Batmanlovesrobin
    Options
    That's a relief! I couldn't understand how all those reasonably healthy things I was eating (salmon, lean chicken, Babybel Lights etc) was so bad looking at protein alone!
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    The protein is set VERY low. I always go over it in extreme!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I try to eat my lean body mass in protein every day, which for me is 100lb:100grams. It actually HELPS you lose weight. Do some research on why protein is so good for us, and you'll understand why it's OK to go over EVERY SINGLE DAY. :)
  • lawre028
    lawre028 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Macro setting? Obviously I haven't done anything with it. I am not sure what it is or how to make adjustments, If they are even ness.
  • lawre028
    lawre028 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Macro setting? Obviously I haven't done anything with it. I am not sure what it is or how to make adjustments, If they are even ness.
    go to
    goals> change settings> custom

you can change what ever you'd like, I do 50% carbs 30% protein 20% fat and a lower sodium, but you need to find what percentages works for you
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    According to Bob Harper(the Biggest Loser) he says you should have protein with every meal. To figure how much you need in a day take you current weight divide it in half and that your daily amount in grams. ex if you weigh 200 lbs you should get 100g. I'm reading his book The skinny Rules.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have my macros set at 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat and it has made a big difference for me, like night and day.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I have mine set for 40% protein, 30% fat and 30% carbs, I am a diabetic and don't want all those carbs. I don't eat bread, pasta or white potatoes, most of my carbs come from veggies and fruit. I will eat brown rice and beans for carbs. I went to goals, settings and custom to change it. Sometimes you will have to redo it so watch it. I would rather go over on protein and good fats than carbs. Since starting this I have been able to control my blood sugars better. Friend me to look at my food diary.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I go over my protein & fats on purpose and try to stay low on the carbs ;)
  • Josh2040
    Josh2040 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    going over on protien should be considered a good thing if you are doing any sort of weight training as that is what your muscles need to repair themselves. As long as your calorie count and fat count is good i wouldn't worry
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents. You are here because you are trying to lose weight and get in shape. You were over eating and having too much of EVERYTHING.

If you are staying under your calories and losing weight, don't worry about going over on protiens or whatever.
  • ejbrin
    Options
    Of what nutrition classes I've taken, the there aren't many problems that come from getting too much protein when you're having a very high protein and very low caloric diet. Basically the worst that will happen (for the average dieter) is that you won't see any muscle growth in your body because your using all those proteins as an energy source instead of building blocks for new muscle.

If you take it to a serious extreme (like, all you eat is protein, ever, and you don't happen to be a cat), then your kidneys will start to enlarge to handle the nitrogen-product buildup from the break down of the proteins, because your body will be taking those proteins and making them into carbs (which involves removing ammonia from the protein).

I tried to keep it simple. Basically you have nothing to worry about unless you're going real crazy extreme.