running vs walking

Options
ok, so i was out with friends last night and things got a little heated when the conversation started about running and walking. everyone disagreed about which is better. so which is? we all sis agree that in the long run we know that walking is better for the joints, but as far as cals and health benefits we didn't. so now i'm confused because their were good points made for both. i know that i have heard that walking is actually better and burns more cals. but i also know that banks told me that i would see more change if i would increase my heart rate and work up a sweat. i walk about 45-60 min and it's a decent speed(when i walked on the treadmill i was at about 3.5-4.0) and i walk about that same speed, but if i would run i know that i would sweat and that my heart rate would be up FAST! BUT i also know that i can walk a lot longer than i can run, i can probably do about 4 mi vs not even 1 mi running. so now i'm curious which one is better and which one will help me see results? thanks!

Replies

• wagsgirls
    wagsgirls Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    ok, so i was out with friends last night and things got a little heated when the conversation started about running and walking. everyone disagreed about which is better. so which is? we all sis agree that in the long run we know that walking is better for the joints, but as far as cals and health benefits we didn't. so now i'm confused because their were good points made for both. i know that i have heard that walking is actually better and burns more cals. but i also know that banks told me that i would see more change if i would increase my heart rate and work up a sweat. i walk about 45-60 min and it's a decent speed(when i walked on the treadmill i was at about 3.5-4.0) and i walk about that same speed, but if i would run i know that i would sweat and that my heart rate would be up FAST! BUT i also know that i can walk a lot longer than i can run, i can probably do about 4 mi vs not even 1 mi running. so now i'm curious which one is better and which one will help me see results? thanks!
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I cannot say which is better. I would think running would burn more but for me, I walk. I sure can walk longer than I can run. :ohwell: Maybe one day.........But till then I shall enjoy my walks.:drinker:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Here is an excerpt from a website:
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/050121.html

Those with a semester or two of physics under their belts reason that since the amount of work involved is the same, running a mile has the same impact as walking an equal distance.

However, this assumes that running and walking are equally efficient means of locomotion. Generally speaking they're not--running requires substantially more energy per unit of distance. Several factors contribute to this. Shall we start with entropy and the second law of thermodynamics? Eh, maybe not. How about aerodynamic drag, which increases with the square of the speed? Probably not something you need to worry about unless you've really been hitting the steroids.

Here's something a little more relevant: Analyses of the biomechanics of walking vs. running suggest that walking is a more efficient gait except at higher speeds. The crossover point is somewhere around 5 mph, varying with the individual. At that speed, walking and running are equally efficient. Below the crossover point, running is less efficient, apparently because you lose energy absorbing the impact of the ground with your bent knees. Above it, walking falls behind because of the awkwardness of the racewalking gait. Gait is the critical issue, incidentally--running speed is irrelevant. Subtracting out the energy required just to keep you breathing, you'll use about the same amount of juice finishing the marathon in two hours or four.

To return to our main point, running consumes more calories per unit of distance than walking. For a person who weighs 70 kilograms (about 154 pounds), walking at 5 kilometers per hour (3.1 miles per hour) consumes 50 calories per kilometer, whereas running at 10 kph (6.2 mph) consumes 78 calories per kilometer

Aha, you say, running is better than walking! Not necessarily, even if we narrowly define "better" as "consumes more calories." When you begin a workout your body is metabolizing carbohydrates, but as the minutes tick by you start burning fat--at minute 50 of light exercise, you're chugging along on a 75/25 fat/carb mix. Sixty percent of your maximum aerobic capacity (reached at roughly 75 percent of maximal heart rate, which is generally calculated as 220 minus your age) is optimal for fat burning; as exercise becomes increasingly strenuous you start burning more carbs. Some have seized on these facts to claim that sustained low- to moderate-intensity exercise is a better way to shed flab than going all out. The point is hotly disputed; I merely note that for the significantly overweight, walking can be easier on the heart, joints, etc
  • adore217
    adore217 Posts: 33
    Options
    I clicked on the exercise tab and it said if you walk for 60 minutes at 3.5mph...what your used to...you burn 288 cal. If you were to run at a brisk pace of 5.0mph for 30 minutes your would burn 341 cals. So running does burn more calories but it's up to you what you can handle. So maybe you could take longer walks or speed up your pace several times through the walk if your unable to keep up the pace.
    :wink:
  • pmd14
    pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    from what I understand walking helps the bones and heart. Running definitely does burn more calories but you are doing it for a shorter amount of time. Walking "anyone" can do. Running takes more "training" and you can definitely hurt yourself more. With waqlking you can also add hills to increase calories.
    I started walking 6 months ago. I could barely walk a half a mile at a snail pace but I kept at it. I increased the distance and speed also added some hills. I now can walk 6-8 miles at an average of 3.5 miles. What I do is walk very very fast for a mile then slow it down a little then speed it up then add a hill to vary it. I tried to actually add some jogging but I can do it for that long.
    If you can run (which I can't - still not in that great of shape) why don't you alternate it with walking. When you have less time run more time walk.
    IT ALL ABOUT JUST MOVING!!!!
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Here is an excerpt from a website:
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/050121.html

Those with a semester or two of physics under their belts reason that since the amount of work involved is the same, running a mile has the same impact as walking an equal distance.

However, this assumes that running and walking are equally efficient means of locomotion. Generally speaking they're not--running requires substantially more energy per unit of distance. Several factors contribute to this. Shall we start with entropy and the second law of thermodynamics? Eh, maybe not. How about aerodynamic drag, which increases with the square of the speed? Probably not something you need to worry about unless you've really been hitting the steroids.

Here's something a little more relevant: Analyses of the biomechanics of walking vs. running suggest that walking is a more efficient gait except at higher speeds. The crossover point is somewhere around 5 mph, varying with the individual. At that speed, walking and running are equally efficient. Below the crossover point, running is less efficient, apparently because you lose energy absorbing the impact of the ground with your bent knees. Above it, walking falls behind because of the awkwardness of the racewalking gait. Gait is the critical issue, incidentally--running speed is irrelevant. Subtracting out the energy required just to keep you breathing, you'll use about the same amount of juice finishing the marathon in two hours or four.

To return to our main point, running consumes more calories per unit of distance than walking. For a person who weighs 70 kilograms (about 154 pounds), walking at 5 kilometers per hour (3.1 miles per hour) consumes 50 calories per kilometer, whereas running at 10 kph (6.2 mph) consumes 78 calories per kilometer

Aha, you say, running is better than walking! Not necessarily, even if we narrowly define "better" as "consumes more calories." When you begin a workout your body is metabolizing carbohydrates, but as the minutes tick by you start burning fat--at minute 50 of light exercise, you're chugging along on a 75/25 fat/carb mix. Sixty percent of your maximum aerobic capacity (reached at roughly 75 percent of maximal heart rate, which is generally calculated as 220 minus your age) is optimal for fat burning; as exercise becomes increasingly strenuous you start burning more carbs. Some have seized on these facts to claim that sustained low- to moderate-intensity exercise is a better way to shed flab than going all out. The point is hotly disputed; I merely note that for the significantly overweight, walking can be easier on the heart, joints, etc

Yeah what she said... LOL glad i only needed a few math/science credits for my BS in criminal justice.

On a personal note my brain prefers running even though my knees dont.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Just add speed intervals or hills to your walk workout once or twice a week so you burn more calories in that particular session. :flowerforyou:
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    They're both great exercise. As you get in better shape you might find you need to run to get your heart rate up fast enough to burn many calories. I just got a HRM. I'm getting in better shape now from running, lifting weights, using the elliptical, and walking. I used my HRM to see how many calories I burned this morning taking my dog for a walk for 50 minutes, and it was only 100 calories even though I was walking pretty briskly (3.5 to 4.0 mph.) As it's getting easier and easier to walk, it isn't as good an exercise for me calorie-wise. That explains why my fit family never wanted to go for walks with me in the past-- because it didn't do that much for them. I don't care, I still love to walk and will continue doing it (my dog would hate me if I didn't.) I just didn't earn as many extra calories to eat as I would've if I had run. I think a big key is to vary your workouts so you get lots of different kinds of benefits.
  • bluerobi
    bluerobi Posts: 22
    Options
    Running burns a little more, but roller bladding burns 3 times as many and is easier and more fun. Also elliptical trainer burns more per hour than walking and running.
    I have heard that you burn more fat if you stay withing a target heart rate for your size. :happy:
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    i do brisk or power walking, if you do it a little longer or add some incline I'm sure you get just as good results.
    I cannot run due to back problems, I will regret it for a week after if i do, sometime i will do light jogging but nothing for too long.
    I once had a chiropractor tell me about all the damage being done to your spine when you are running on hard surfaces alot, I guess all the pounding on your spine. Especially if you have any bulging or herniated discs.
    Just what i have been told! :ohwell:
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    That's a nice debate topic, however, when it comes right down to it either is great!!! :wink: It just depends on the person. Some folks like to walk while other prefer to run/jog. Personally, I have never been a runner... but I do like to do a walk-run routine to get my heart pumping a bit harder than walking alone.

As far as long-term health benefits, both will offer great cardovascular benefits. When it comes to joint health I believe that as long as someone doesn't "out-do" theirself (like running/walking with an injury) and both are done properly then either will be okay on your joints. :happy:

So, go walk... go run... just get out there and get your heart pumping! :flowerforyou:

:heart: KB

P.S. I am assuming that we are talking about very brisk walking... like 4 or more MPH.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I mix it up. I started by walking, but found that after awhile I couldnt walk fast enough to get my heart rate up. I kept adding steeper and longer hills, but while my legs would get tired. my heart rate wouldnt increase by much. I started jogging ( very slowly and smoothly) on the "flat parts" and slight downhills and uphills. I cant run down steep hills as it kills my shins and my endurance isn't good enough yet to run up very steep hills. This seems to do the trick in getting my heart rate up.

As far as burning calories go, check out biking! Even at a moderate pace on flat surfaces you burn 50 to 75% more calories that fast walking! And it's very easy on your joints. Now I jog 4.5 miles twice a week (flat) and bike approx 20 miles (hills) twice a week.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I always walk, but have just started thinking about adding some running, well I think I'll start with jogging, but the walking just isn't doing it for me much anymore, I still love to walk but, I need something with just a little more impact!