pizza! veggie crust

Options
i came across this, tried it, loved it, kids love it, they can help and dont even know the crusts are from veggies. its become a weekly family thing for us.
now the recipe i found makes one 9 inch pizza, but i modified it and changed it up a bit and we make little individual pizzas with our own toppings.
this is the original recipe

'riced' cauliflower 1cup
cheese, (part skim) mozzarella, or italian blend. whatever you like i feel like the italian blend gets crisper in the oven, the mozzarella stays a bit softer- 1 cup
1 egg
-to 'rice the cauliflower, trim the stalks and pulse the florettes in a food processor or blender for just a few seconds till it looks like.. well.. rice.. just a few seconds and be careful not to puree it.
*i use less cheese and more cauliflower, it comes out just fine.
mix it up, and spread on foil generously sprayed with cooking spray and bake at 400 for about 10 minutes, till its golden brown.
*i cook mine longer because.. im a weirdo and like the cheese extra brown

when its done, top it with what ever you like. and pop it back in the oven on broil for just a few minutes to heat the toppings
*if you use meat, it has to be precooked.
my pizza gets onions, shredded chicken poached chicken breast, bbq sauce and frozen spinach sometimes olives and pineapple
i dont add extra cheese to the top of mine, because there is cheese in the crust. but the kids like the extra cheese.

its fun and im going to try it tonight with only egg whites and see what happens.
if you try it let me know how it works for you

Replies

• jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    YUM!! Looks great, TY
  • lifeisgoodtoday
    Options
    how many calories is this recipe? looks interesting...
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    bump to try this. thanks!
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I makeing portabella pizzas tonight .... portabella as crust :)
  • km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    'riced' cauliflower 1cup
    cheese, (part skim) mozzarella, or italian blend. whatever you like i feel like the italian blend gets crisper in the oven, the mozzarella stays a bit softer- 1 cup
    1 egg
    -to 'rice the cauliflower, trim the stalks and pulse the florettes in a food processor or blender for just a few seconds till it looks like.. well.. rice.. just a few seconds and be careful not to puree it.

How do you think it would turn out without the cheese? I am on a dairy/gluten/wheat/yeast-free diet and the cauliflower crust would be such a good idea so I could still have pizza. :D
  • CourtneyDanger
    Options
    there is about 340 calories in the entire crust if you use the italian blend cheese. if you follow the one cup cheese and one cup cauliflower. but im not sure how much a 'serving' would be.
    every time i make it i change how much cheese and cauliflower. for my entire 5 person family im using about 2 cups of cauliflower and one cup of cheese. and two whole eggs and one extra egg white. im trying to come up with a way to lower the cheese and still have it cook right. so we'll see what happens.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options

How do you think it would turn out without the cheese? I am on a dairy/gluten/wheat/yeast-free diet and the cauliflower crust would be such a good idea so I could still have pizza. :D

i've done this twice now as my new pizza base, haven't perfected it just yet.

I like to add some mixed herbs to the base its sooo good.

The cheese acts as a binder. If you cant add an extra egg to the mix to bind it you may have a problem.
    I would have siggested something like flour + water, or " no egg" or egg like as a binder, you may just have to experiment a bit to find something that works. Maye tomato paste?
  • CourtneyDanger
    Options

i dont think it will work with out the cheese completely. because when the cheese melts and cools it firms up and what makes it pizza like. i think you can use much less cheese if you use a firm cheese like Parmesan. because it gets crispy when its cooked.
    but if you play with it and find something that works let me know!
  • kbiamero
    Options
    This sounds great and I can't wait to try it! I'm on a GF diet and this sounds so much easier than mixing up a GF crust every Friday night.

Thanks for posting!
    Kristin
  • FitFLNana
    FitFLNana Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Do you cook the cauliflower first, or use it raw?
  • CourtneyDanger
    Options
    Do you cook the cauliflower first, or use it raw?

just use it raw. if i can figure out a way to attach pictures to the thread i will post step by step pics of that it looks like
  • CourtneyDanger
    Options

can you use a gluten/yeast free bread crumbs if there is such a thing.

oh is oatmean gluten free? im really not even sure what gluten is. but if you could use oatmeal you could use minute-cook oats and pop them in the blender for a few seconds till it looks a little more coarse than flower and add it to the cauliflower and egg till it holds together like a crust. and bake the same
  • ecoshopaholic
    ecoshopaholic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe and have made it many times. That being said, I feel that with the cheese in the crust and the cheese that you would normally top the pizza with, the calories are a bit high. The cheese really holds it together, so I'm not sure if there is a work around. I'm wondering about adding whole wheat flour and in what proportion. Anyone had any luck modifying this recipe?
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    Options
    sounds yummo
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Pictures would be awesome. Thanks for posting I really want to try this.

~S
  • DevSea
    Options
    Sounds good....I will definitely have to try it...you can also make it using more of a variety of vegetables if you want...I saw a recipe using cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots, and it looked really good!
  • CourtneyDanger
    Options
    so right now i have in the oven.
    one cup of cauliflower one egg and 3/8 cup of 'oat meal flower'
    baked at 450 for 10 minutes

and it works just as well if not better than the cheese. it holds up better and isnt as floppy and has more of a bread-ish texture

i have found a new way to do it. YAY

-i put oatmeal in the blender and pulsed it till it looked sandy.
  • CourtneyDanger
    Options
    ok so heres pictures
    ff695fe5.jpg
    this is 3c cauliflower, 1cup italian blend cheese, 2 eggs + 1 egg white
    bfee324d.jpg
    this is after its baked
    84b1c763.jpg
    and that is my 'oatmeal flour'