Am i doing something wrong?

Options
From November-Jan, i was going to the gym 3 times a week.
Since early Jan, i have been going to the gym 4 days a week, for about 60-80 mins, and really enjoying it.

When i first started going to the gym 4 times a week, i used to finish my workout, and feel sore (but in a good kind of way if you know what i mean) and could DEFINATLY tell that i had done a good workout, to the point that my legs hated walking upstairs after the workout, i hope you know what i mean??

Anyway, for the last 3 times i have been going to the gym, i am not getting that feeling anymore, and am finding it a lot easier during and after the workout.

Am i doing something wrong, or does this just mean i am getting fitter?

Replies

• madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    All our bodies eventually get used to the routine and need a change. I try to change my routine up about once a month.
  • claire30
    claire30 Posts: 153
    Options
    Thanks madmama
    I thought it took longer for my body to get used to the exercise..its only been about 3 and a half weeks since i started going 4 times a week..
    When you say to change it up, do you mean working out for longer..upping the intensity, or doing something totally different?
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I recently started running on the treadmill in addition to my fitness classes, and told my hubby that I felt like I was more skipping than running the other day, it seemed so easy. He said that's my clue to either speed it up or change the incline. I do have to say though that I pushed myself a few minutes past normal and this morning felt a little sore, but nothing like normal.

Awesome job on getting in shape. Your body is rewarding you by not complaining :)
  • LindaHGreen
    LindaHGreen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I try to work out 5 - 6 days a week. I belong to a gym, and use their ellipicial, go to the core strength and abs classes, and do water aerobic classes. I think the combination keeps me from getting too sore. At home, I use my weights and exercise ball and the treadmill. My instructor helps me determine when it's time to add weights or increase my weights.

The problem -- I'm not losing weight! I've been at this for about 4 months. What am I doing wrong?
  • photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Change your workout. Do something entirely different. Maybe a new weight routine with a little more weight to lift or do intervals on the treadmill instead of just running at the same pace for "X" amount of minutes. Challenge yourself, you will see some more results.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Try changing up the exercises you do. For cardio change machines and for weights it is best to change the exercises and hit the same muscles from a different angle. The P90x program is based on ever changing workouts. first month has the same routing for 3 weeks then rest, then a new workout for the next 3, followed by the same rest week, then the last month alternates the weeks from the first and second month. Essentially it changes every 3 weeks or less.
  • claire30
    Options
    Thanks for all your help you guys.
    Cardio- i already use all of the machines at the gym, so i think that i am going to increase the time and the incline on the treadmill and elliptical.
    Rowing, i am going to do an extra 300 meters, and weights i am going to do more of, as at the moment i only use the thigh weights as i'm worried about getting all big and muscley..i wont will i?

I have a personal trainer programme on Thursday, so i am hoping she will be able to tell me what to do as well.
  • madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Try not to increase time as this doesn't seem to do as much as increasing the intensity of the workout. On a treadmill try a higher incline or higher speed. Maybe even try interval training as it seems to increase heart rates with shorter workouts. With strength training try to increase weight being used.

As for the big muscles, that doesn't happen to women as we do not have the high level of testosterone needed for this.

Good luck
  • claire30
    Options
    Thanks madmama!
    i did this today, and definately felt it!!
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I try to work out 5 - 6 days a week. I belong to a gym, and use their ellipicial, go to the core strength and abs classes, and do water aerobic classes. I think the combination keeps me from getting too sore. At home, I use my weights and exercise ball and the treadmill. My instructor helps me determine when it's time to add weights or increase my weights.

The problem -- I'm not losing weight! I've been at this for about 4 months. What am I doing wrong?

How's your dietary intake?
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I agree with PP - I wouldn't up your time. Maybe try doing short bursts of intervals instead of long ones? Just an idea. Instead of running x minutes or x miles you could run, then sprint, then walk, then sprint, then run, etc. and change up the incline.