looking for feedback... Paleo Diet

Options
Yesterday, I went to a holistic health center that I had purchased a groupon for, and had a food allergy screening and discussed nutrition. I had been allergy tested at my allergist's office and didn't come up allergic to any foods, and he kinda dropped the issue. But, I still notice that when I eat certain things, I get more congested (wheat and dairy). This especially happens when I eat them at the same meal.

The guy I met with yesterday agreed that I do not come up as "allergic" to any of the foods, but I do come up as "reactive". He said he can help me by changing my diet and/or adding supplements. He suggested that I try the paleo diet for 30 days (strictly) and see how I feel. If I feel great, I can try slowly to add certan things back in (rice being one of them). He gave me the name of a book to read and some websites and podcasts to check out. He said that he can certainlygive me a bunch of supplements to try, and he would certainly make more money off of me by doing so, but he thinks I can change everything by trying the paleo diet. I am willing to give it a try for 30 days, but I'm hesitant b/c I'm not a huge meat-eater. I eat chicken breast, ground turkey and cold cuts, and some fish (mostly sushi, but some cooked as well). I do not eat beef, pork, etc. I love vegetables and fruits, and I like some nuts and seeds. Basically, I am a picky eater.

I am NOT looking for anyone's opinions on whether or not this is a good "diet" or "lifestlye". All I am asking is if anyone has tried or is currently doing the paleo diet and if they can give me feedback on their experiences. Do you really HAVE to eat all different types of meat to survive on it? Do you have trouble eating out with friends and family and sticking to it? Do you feel healthier? Did it take you longer than 30 days to see the benefits? Etc.

Replies

• GiGi_FIERCE
    Options
    check out oygenmag.com and their nutrition section. i am sure they have plenty of info & possibly recipes. :]
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Paleo diet since December and I've lost a significant amount of weight. I don't have a problem eating out with friends and family, you just have to plan more often, like check the restaurants menu before you go, and even call and ask what type of substitutions you can make, in the 9 months I've been doing this, I've only had a problem at 1 place because the servers weren't familiar with the menu, or available substitutions and they didn't have descriptions on the menu. I haven't added anything back in, and my meals are really repetitive. You can check out my food diary if you want, it is open. I feel fantastic, aside from the weightloss my headaches are gone, and my overall health has improved, however I didn't have any food sensitivities that I know of before. Please feel free to message me with more questions. I think you should atleast give it the 30 days. Remember to just plan your meals, don't be caught without some food as a snack or something, because when you are starving, and you will be hungry for a few days because of the absense of all the starch and carbs, and you don't ahve anything prepared, that is when you are most likely to cheat.
  • trianglgrl
    Options
    I've been doing the Paleo diet since December and I've lost a significant amount of weight. I don't have a problem eating out with friends and family, you just have to plan more often, like check the restaurants menu before you go, and even call and ask what type of substitutions you can make, in the 9 months I've been doing this, I've only had a problem at 1 place because the servers weren't familiar with the menu, or available substitutions and they didn't have descriptions on the menu. I haven't added anything back in, and my meals are really repetitive. You can check out my food diary if you want, it is open. I feel fantastic, aside from the weightloss my headaches are gone, and my overall health has improved, however I didn't have any food sensitivities that I know of before. Please feel free to message me with more questions. I think you should atleast give it the 30 days. Remember to just plan your meals, don't be caught without some food as a snack or something, because when you are starving, and you will be hungry for a few days because of the absense of all the starch and carbs, and you don't ahve anything prepared, that is when you are most likely to cheat.

thanks! I was looking over your diary and noticed you include dairy... i thought paleo was no dairy?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Couldn't do paleo myself. Too restrictive. Switched to Primal for a while.
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options

thanks! I was looking over your diary and noticed you include dairy... i thought paleo was no dairy?

I have dairy sometimes, but I limit it as much as possible. I started out doing Primal, and now am shifting more towards Paleo. Basically I need to stop drinking the tbsp of milk in my coffee in the morning.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have been paleo for about a year now. The first 30 days is the most restrictive, but I lost so much weight and felt so good, I didn't care. That made it pretty easy to stick to. I added dairy back in, and I eat rice every once in a while, like less than once a month. I have a cheat with bread every once in a while, too, but I don't have any sensitivities. I keep as tight as I can without feeling like I'm missing out on anything, and don't plan cheats, as that is counterproductive. I also don't eat "substitutes" like paleo bread or other crap like that. It's easier to do without than t get used to the textures and flavors to make a sandwich that will be nasty when I can just eat the rest of the fixings and enjoy them. If I get a bad craving for something, I eat it, as trying to skirt the issue makes things worse. I just don't go overboard with it. When I go out with friends, i just order meat and veggies. Almost every place you go has that sort of thing. I eat more fish than I used to, but otherwise I haven't changed the meats I eat. My diary is open, feel free to check it out. I recommend Robb Wolf's book The Paleo Solution over the others, as it's easier to follow. I read his blog, and also The Primal Blueprint stuff by Mark Sisson.
  • trianglgrl
    Options
    I have been paleo for about a year now. The first 30 days is the most restrictive, but I lost so much weight and felt so good, I didn't care. That made it pretty easy to stick to. I added dairy back in, and I eat rice every once in a while, like less than once a month. I have a cheat with bread every once in a while, too, but I don't have any sensitivities. I keep as tight as I can without feeling like I'm missing out on anything, and don't plan cheats, as that is counterproductive. I also don't eat "substitutes" like paleo bread or other crap like that. It's easier to do without than t get used to the textures and flavors to make a sandwich that will be nasty when I can just eat the rest of the fixings and enjoy them. If I get a bad craving for something, I eat it, as trying to skirt the issue makes things worse. I just don't go overboard with it. When I go out with friends, i just order meat and veggies. Almost every place you go has that sort of thing. I eat more fish than I used to, but otherwise I haven't changed the meats I eat. My diary is open, feel free to check it out. I recommend Robb Wolf's book The Paleo Solution over the others, as it's easier to follow. I read his blog, and also The Primal Blueprint stuff by Mark Sisson.

Thanks for the feedback! I got Robb Wolf's book (The Paleo Solution) on Saturday and I already finished reading it. :-) I posted this after reading it b/c the menus he has in the book didn't look like something I could do, being that I am limited in what meat I consume. I think though, after reading these message boards and others that I am going to give it a shot. I am going to try breakfast and lunch first, and then do all my meals paleo for 30 days.