What workout should I do?

Options
I have about 24pounds left to lose, at the moment I do about 1 hour 30mins of cardio a week about 5 times a week and about 10 mins of weight training a day. I think I need to start doing more weights because I want to tone up and am getting closer to my goal. How many mins of each would you suggest is best and what weight exercises can I do? At my gym they have weight machines for arms and legs and dumbbells and I have my own dumbbells at home?

Replies

• GiGi_FIERCE
    Options
    here is what i do. she also has at-home modification video instructions ;]

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Ninety minutes of cardio per day is way too much, especially if you are close to your goal. I can guarantee that you're losing lean muscle mass by doing that. You do not even need cardio for fat loss, unless you absolutely love doing it - what matters is establishing the appropriate deficit according to how much you wish to lose.

With 24 lbs to lose, you should be at a 500 total calorie deficit. What do I mean by total? Amount of calories less that you eat plus exercise calories. You can eat 350 calories below maintenance and do 150 calories of total exercise, preferably moderate to heavy weight training. If you wish to spare lean body mass, either cut out the cardio or greatly limit it to brisk walking for 10 minutes or so. You can even toss in one or two HIIT sessions per week if you like a more intense training day to kick up your heart rate.

When you get to under 15 lbs left to lose, reduce the deficit to 400 or so. And when you are at around 5 lbs left to lose, drop the deficit to about 250 calories.