Low calorie protein

Options
Hi all! I am a hungry girl. And I want to eat even when I'm not hungry lol I find that I am the least hungry the more protein that I eat. I've been eating a can of low sodium tuna every morning for years and it seems to ward off the hunger...but i just realized that's not the best idea with the mercury warnings saying I shouldn't eat more then a can a week.

I am a short girl and don't have a high calorie allowance. I need protein with little calories. I don't want to eat 7 almonds as that isn't going to fill me up at all. Any low calorie high protein recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• GiGi_FIERCE
    Options
    peas!
  • ReyneDrop
    ReyneDrop Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Personally I like milk and protein powder shakes, but fluids fill me up quickly, so if you prefer not to drink your calories that wouldn't work so well.

Try lean fish. Tuna works well (the sodium might be a problem), but if you can bake or grill, salmon, tilapia, cod, etc work. Most sea meats are pretty lean! But they can be costly... Chicken breast is another good one.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Protein powders, shrimp, turkey. chicken, quinoa, tofu, egg whites, all are very low calorie and packed with protein.
  • RedwoodCoast
    RedwoodCoast Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Plain nonfat Greek yogurt - 8 oz has 133 calories, no fat, and 24 grams of protein.
    You can add a little stevia and vanilla, and I also add about a half-teaspoon of cinnamon (it adds a lot of flavor and also helps control blood sugar).
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    peas!

omg i love peas so much
  • BrownEyedGrrl
    Options
    Beans are also great! Black beans and romano beans are my favs!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese with tomatoes and hot sauce! yum!.. or nonfat plain yogurt mix in berries and a lil vanilla and a lil sweetener.. yummy yogurt!
  • Princess_Sameen
    Princess_Sameen Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    bumping for ideas! :-)
  • alhunt8587
    Options
    Egg Whites are a great source of protein and have hardly any calories! Greek Yogurt and Cottage cheese are other great options I love!
  • mgoetsch1982
    mgoetsch1982 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Isopure is a protein shake that I have from bodybuilding.com and it has 25g protein and 105 calories per scoop (no carbs either!). I have the creamy vanilla and like it quite a bit. I can drink it with just water (which is impressive for a protein shake).

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/nb/lowcarb.html
  • BosBruin5
    BosBruin5 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Definitely move away from the tuna! My friend's father used to eat a can a day and got horrible mercury poisoning. He's still battling back after a year. I'm not sure if you like Tofu, but the lite firm tofu is super low in calories and high in protein. I toss it in a scramble in the morning. If you like volume in your food, it's great. But I would mix it up, because too much of anything is probably not a good thing. Some people don't like the texture of tofu, but I like that it takes on the taste of the foods you're cooking it with. Eggs are great too!
  • sarah3333
    sarah3333 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone!