What's Your Frame Size?

Options
I recently used this calculator to determine my frame size. I have been told by my O.B. that I am at a healthy weight, 147lb., for my large frame size. I was curious about this "frame", so I entered my wrist circumference (6.5in.) into the calculator to give a more accurate frame size result, & it stated I do have a large frame. It does makes sense, as my hip bones and ribs currently protrude a bit, but I just wanted to investigate a bit more after speaking with my Dr.

When I use the B.M.I./Ideal weight calculator, it says I should be 135lbs. So my question is about the last part of the Body Frame calculator’s description, where it states “Add 10 percent for a large frame size, and subtract 10 percent for a small frame size to the ideal weight calculator”. Adding 10% would then put my ideal weight at 148.5lbs. So that means that for my frame size, my weight is healthy & right on?

Here’s the Calculator description with the link! What do you guys think?

-Body Frame Calculator-

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/bodyFrame.php

Many of the current techniques for body and weight analysis such as the standard Body mass index do not take into account the different body frame sizes of people.
One easy way to determine your body frame size is to wrap your thumb and major fingers around the smallest part of your wrist.

• If the fingers overlap you are a small frame.
• If your fingers just about touch you are a medium frame.
• If your fingers don't touch you are a large frame.
• Use calculator to determine more exact frame size.

*Add 10 percent for a large frame size, and subtract 10 percent for a small frame size to the ideal weight calculator.

Replies

• abatres7
    abatres7 Posts: 146
    Options
    I heard BMI isn't all that accurate to determine correct body weight. It was in the news when they said Tom Cruise would be considered obese as it doesn't take into consideration body size,muscle mass etc. Congrats on being a healthy weight. Now all you need to do is maintain a healthy life style
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    BMI doesn't work for some of us with heavier builds. I have an 18 inch neck. When I do the wrist-wrap my thumb and finger are 1/2 inch apart, so not even close. Very heavy bone structure.

I am about 14% bodyfat, and I have exposed abs and pretty decent visible veins in my arms. My chest is 11 inches bigger than my waist. I'm in pretty decent shape for the shape I'm in.

My BMI is 31.5, and I am 10 pounds above the threshold of "Obese". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don't sweat it. Just numbers on paper. How do you feel? What can you do?
  • new_Kendra
    Options
    Interesting. And it make sense! According to this, I am large framed also. I always throught I would probably look a little sick at 125 lbs!!! (My ideal weight according to the charts)
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've heard that too! I would love to get a true body analysis in one of those "bod pods" like athletes & the dallas cowboys cheerleaders use! lol
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I have been curious about my frame as well. :happy:
  • new_Kendra
    Options
    I heard BMI isn't all that accurate to determine correct body weight. It was in the news when they said Tom Cruise would be considered obese as it doesn't take into consideration body size,muscle mass etc. Congrats on being a healthy weight. Now all you need to do is maintain a healthy life style

Yea, they told my friends daughter when they were doing a BMI screening at school that she was overweight. She's 13, about 5'2, and wears a size 2 in juniors/16 slim in girls!!! That's not my idea of overweight. Sounds like that might create some serious eating disorders :frown:
  • bellinachuchina
    Options
    Thanks! Knowing this, I'm wanting to focus on toning, more than getting down to 135. It's just so interesting how BMI generalizes everyone!
  • bellinachuchina
    Options
    That's ridiculous! I would definitely have something to say to the person in charge of the screening at that school. They should know how fragile girls are about their image/body. I wish people would stress health over being rail-skinny, like our country idolizes!

Yea, they told my friends daughter when they were doing a BMI screening at school that she was overweight. She's 13, about 5'2, and wears a size 2 in juniors/16 slim in girls!!! That's not my idea of overweight. Sounds like that might create some serious eating disorders :frown:
  • new_Kendra
    Options
    I agree. I urged my friend to call the school about it. This was definately something they should have gotten the parents permission for anyway. And on top of it, they were SO off!
    That's ridiculous! I would definitely have something to say to the person in charge of the screening at that school. They should know how fragile girls are about their image/body. I wish people would stress health over being rail-skinny, like our country idolizes!

• rhymeswithfox
    rhymeswithfox Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have such a small frame! I'm 5' 4.5" but my wrists and hands are barely bigger than most elementary school kids. It feels like I keep losing weight and I still have tons jiggle! Now I know why xD
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have a tiny frame, I'm 5'3" and I can cover my my whole thumbnail with my other finger wrapped around my wrist! That's why I put my target weight at 115 even though I haven't weighed that little since junior high. I'll be happy at 125 w/lots of muscle.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    That's a great tool. Thanks for sharing! I also have a small frame and I am a little over 5'5", this explains why I look and feel better at the lower end of the desired body weight scale and whenever I participate in any sport that requires a helmet I have to use a child's size :laugh: