New and need tips posting exercise from Physical Therapy

Options
Hi,
I joined to not only get support but motivation... I have always struggled with my weight but since I hurt my back I have put on a few more pounds than I want to admit. I am going to PT 3 times a week for my back and I spend about 2 hours doing all different exercises, squats or ab crunchs on a machine that reduces the pressure on my back to low impact walking with a contraption to reduce the weight on my lower back. I SERIOUSLY need some of this weight off soon to help me be able to not be in pain and to feel better.
Any tips or well wishes or pointers on tracking are greatly appreciated!!

Danelia

Replies

• going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    take it easy and move every day as much as you can which for me can be different every day depending on the pain cycling helps when I'm in lots of pain and yoga has helped too

Just don't give up on yourself
  • TheNewReen
    TheNewReen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm also in physical therapy 2-3 times a week for a shoulder & neck injury I got in a bad car accident in May. I do ALOT of stretch band and weight exercises in therapy. Outside of therapy I try to do as much as I can without hurting myself. I go on long walks, I try to go for an hour but that depends on how my neck and shoulder is feeling. Some days it's too painful. Other days I can go longer than the hour. I also do my P.T. exercises at home on the days I DON'T go to therapy. That helps. Also since I can't physically be as active as I was before May, I've cut down on my food portions and the type of foods I've been eating. THIS helps the most I think. It's slow going but I've actually started finally losing a little bit of weight since I started that last month. You have a different kind of problem so I'm sure you just have to find what can work best for you. It's a slow process.. don't push it too much! Don't want to hurt yourself more than you already are. I hope you find your way, Good luck! <3
  • musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I didn't weigh myself before, but I have definitely gained weight (fat/inches) since breaking my ankle. That's what drove me back here. What I am doing is just to do my physical therapy (and some extra core workouts, since I can and I am trying to control the back pain from uneven weight bearing) and focusing on my nutrition. Just being here with the intent to do better and looking at what you are doing is a huge step in the right direction!
  • tophersnana
    Options
    Thanks for the friend requests and pointers, I am trying to do my exercises but my lower back doesn't let me do anymore than just the PT exercises to gain strength in the areas that are causing the pressure on my lower back. I can't walk alot or do normal ab exercises but I did start today watching my intake and will keep it up... I just don't want to be in pain and want to feel better!! Seems as was causing some of the pain myself not bending correctly but the other is digentrive arthritis.
  • toddzincity
    Options
    I understand your situation. I've had two back surgeries (4/01 & 11/02). I had a great P-Therapist at Kaiser and she had me use one of those big balls along with some light weights.. Many exercises you can do with ball to strentghen core, etc.