Emotional = Cravings

Options
I'm trying so hard to get back on track with eating right. I keep eating all sorts of food today, although, most of it has been "healthy" choices. Dinner is 2.5 hours away (pre-logged).

In the mean time, I'm fighting a killer craving for cheese fries...

It's too easy to get in the car and go get my favorite (although terrible for me!) food. Anyone have the words I need to keep me in line today?

Thanks ahead of time!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    If this were easy, no one would be over weight.

It's 99% psychological. Sit down and write about what you could do instead. Like a hobby, a book, some yard work, house work, a walk, etc.

Step away from the cheesy fries.
  • brittanynation31
    Options
    Although you do have to sometimes turn a cold shoulder to your cravings the majority of the time, your body will crave the things you want even more if you don't have them every once in a while, so to stop yourself from over-endulging whenever you do get something off your diet of healthy eating, treat yourself to something once a week like those cheese fries you want..just eat them in moderation like a small side instead of the large:)
    It'll help keep your emotions in check while not sacrificing your hard work and progress!
    hope that helps
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
    I can't give into the craving yet (I've only been back on track for a week). Hard to not want to eat everything when that's my M.O. when emotions get involved.

Eye on the prize, I guess! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Ah! Well if it's emotions, start wrting about them.

One of the best things for working thorugh emotional issues is to start a journal. Write it out - the good - the bad - the horrible. And be completely honest with your fears about loneliness, boredom, anger, frustration, etc.

You'll be amazed how much it helps you. So when the cravings start, sti down and write about what caused you to feel fear or anger or whatever occurs. It's basically self-therapy.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I don't but I have a lot of friends who do. They say when this happens what works for them is writing, journaling. Write what you are feeling. It's not a real food craving, it's something else not resolved. What cmrverside said!

Best of luck to you!
  • LADYDEBORAH1984
    LADYDEBORAH1984 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i love cheese, addicted to cheese!!!!
  • pinksirose
    Options
    Hi I am on a journey of finding ways of coping with emotinal needs and cravings . I googled emotional eating, and have started asking myself what am I needing emotionally rather than craving . If i have had good range of vitamins and minerals (so it isnt a nutritional need crave) I think about what the emotion behind the craving is, .. today I thought I was desparate for a roast dinner, but on reflection I realised I was sad about my son going back to uni, and the news of a bereavement ( it was 'loss' and need for comfort, but could have been might have been boredom, or frustration, or anger etc)
    Hope all goes well for you :)