feel like quitting :/

Options
I've lost 3 pounds on my first week of fitness but now on the second week I've only lost 0.4 pounds. Yet this week I've worked harder and improved by almost double the training I did last week.

Any tips and I would really appreciate

Replies

• Lookingforfitat40
    Options
    You're losing 1.75 lbs per week . That's a victory!

Think big picture and not little scale numbers.

Keep it up.
  • debjae
    debjae Posts: 242
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing really well.
  • kabarnes45
    kabarnes45 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Don't let this throw you off track. You may be retaining water for muscle repair after all of the training you are doing. I have noticed a slow down for a week or two after changing my workouts, but then it really speeds up after a couple weeks. Try looking at the big picture. 3.4 lb weight loss in 2 weeks is great! WTG on all the hard work you are doing!
  • jothekid
    jothekid Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Happened to me too no worries. Could be your sodium that's too high and so it's retaining more water than usual...or could be muscles building up. Anyways, as long as you're moving, who cares about the numbers...changes will come :)
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    don't expect to lose big numbers each wek. Slow and steady is better for you. Don't get down, it will come off if you stay dedicated. Hell, some weeks you will gain, be patient.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Someone once said: It took you longer than 2 wks to get overweight, it will take you longer than 2 wks to lose it again.

Don't give up just cause you didn't lose as much weight as you thought you should. It takes time. THe weight will come off if you eat right and keep active, it isn't supposed to be a sprint race. Think of it as a marathon. Every lb gone is a step closer to the finish line.

You got this :)
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    If you have increased your exercise, your body is likely retaining water to help repair your muscles.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Make sure you take measurements because some weeks you won't lose any weight, but you will lose inches. Especially if you are working out lots.

Secondly, this is not a race, this is a journey to become a healthier you. That includes exercising because it's good for you, not because you want to lose weight.

Thirdly, in order to not lose motivation it is important to have goals outside of just losing pounds because some weeks you just won't lose any. Some weeks, even though you've done everything right you are actually going to gain pounds. Make your goals fitness related. Run a race. Join a sports team. Bench press your body weight. Do a hundred push ups.
  • markbarefoot
    Options
    I've been off and on diets all my life. It's frustrating as I love food and I have friends who appear to have a laser between their throat and stomach - and they don't do any exercise!

I'm now 43 and my outlook is this - use MFP to know your daily portions and what you can eat. Lose weight in small increments, thus more chance of keeping it off. Some weeks will be fat weeks, it just happens this way.

My first target was to lose 10kg since starting again in January, I got made redundant in April and left the dieting, so gained some weight. In August I started again and am now 2kg away from my first target. When I achieve this one I will set another.

Don't get down, just stick to it.
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Keep at it!!! Really that's all I can say is keep it up, you will get to where you want to be. It takes time. I have not lost any weight in the last 10 days, but I am sticking with it.
  • kregerems
    kregerems Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    As others have said on here before, quit weighing yourself so often. Weigh yourself once every couple of
    weeks or 1 time a month. Take measurements and keep track of them. As other's have said as you workout
    you'll break down and build up new muscle, this along with some possible water retention from sodium can
    cause a weight gain. You don't have whether your lifting weight or doing cardio. If your trying to drop pounds,
    do a good cardio workout either every day or every other day and keep up your calorie count. Your doing fine,
    so don't get depressed, just keep up the good work. :smile:
  • Semperfione
    Options
    Quit??? You're being successful- losing is not what it is ALL about. As others have said....inches, body fat, that is what it is all about. Then while you hit goal, along the way you will rebuild muscle. Muscle weighs more as it will retain water as you are working out. This is natural.....so quit???? Nope, not now you're on the way to losing more within the next week or so, believe me it will happen if you keep at it.

Wishing you all the best,

Rob
  • ullgetthere
    Options
    It's totally normal, at the beginning you will lose a big amount. I discovered this when I was with Weight Watchers a while back. The first week I had lost 5 pounds, but I soon discovered not to take this as the weekly average. A new way of eating is like a shock for your system, you wil lose a lot of weight related to water retention as well. Don't get discouraged, this is totally normal. Things will stabilize in the weeks to come and with some patience you will see the weight go down :)
  • manishvaja1
    Options
    Thank you guys for the feedback and I'll carry on the road :)
    You guys really helped me NOT quit, because I was this close on quitting.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Don't let this throw you off track. You may be retaining water for muscle repair after all of the training you are doing. I have noticed a slow down for a week or two after changing my workouts, but then it really speeds up after a couple weeks. Try looking at the big picture. 3.4 lb weight loss in 2 weeks is great! WTG on all the hard work you are doing!

When you exercise you hold water. I agree with the quote above. You are doing quite well.