Getting back on the bandwagon

Options
Last year I was laid off, and had lots of free time on my hands so I started to finally diet. I had lost 25lbs just about. I used to measure how serving sizes exactly too! Would try my hardest not to eat over 1200 calories (that is what I need to eat to lose weight according to MFP, I'm only 5'0!)

However, once I got employed, I had lost the desire.I stopped going to the gym, and I just throw anything together for my lunch. I have more soda now than I did last year, etc.Now, my weight and the way I look is really bothering me!!!

So, basically I am curious as to how many of you have fallen off the bandwagon. How hard was it to get back into losing weight, eating right and exercising while working?

Thanks for any input - I appreciate it.

Replies

• jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm starting a new job tomorrow which will mean new eating challenges.....

Every time I start a new job it seems the habits I've gotten into won't fit in with this one......I do the low carb diet, which works well for me, but can seriously limit your food choices... I find planning ahead and not leaving yourself stuck at the last minute works best... keep your meals simple and make them up on the weekend in freezable containers that you can take with you and pop in the microwave and you'll be fine....

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    depends on how bad ya want it, I suppose. Yes, I am in the same wagon...lost 13, stagnated, then gained it all back but was still exercising like a feigned. Over-training maybe, pre-menopause, name the excuse. I want it bad enough not to want to buy new clothes- how's that. Feel free to friend me :)
  • jeanninecurran
    jeanninecurran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    hi, I can really identify with you. I just went back to work last week after having the summer off. All summer I exercised and ate well. I really enjoyed it. I havn't given up but I work at a bagel store and I've been indulging every day. I'm worried. I just keep telling myself that I'm worth the extra effort it takes to prepare my meals in advance and take the time to exercise. I have worked hard to lose 14 lbs. and I know I can easily put it all back on. I hope I can keep remembering that feeling of satisfaction I have when I do something good for myself
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I think the more strict you are, and the more you go into it with the attitude that it is a 'diet', the more likely you are to have trouble with any changes, and the more likely you will be to fail. I think key is making it a lifestyle change you can sustain. There are plenty of 5' people here eating 1500 calories and up, and losing weight very easily, in fact, most of the posts here where people have stopped losing weight, are by those eating 1200 calories and less, lol. Much better to change little things to begin, like cutting out soda, and limiting the junk, and eating as much wholesome and healthy food as possible, coupled with some daily exercise, whether that be walking, an exercise video, cycling or the gym. A way of life that is sustainable, will be sustained.
  • RajwaJ
    RajwaJ Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I lost 45lb in 6 months and it was a breeze..... until I had to maintain my weight for a year to fit a bridesmaid dress. Since the wedding I just haven't been able to get back to losing in fact I've managed to gain 10lb since the beginning of August.

I really would love to say its easy to get back on but its not but we managed to lose the weight before so we should be able to do it again.

Good luck with your diet and your new job.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Last year I was laid off, and had lots of free time on my hands so I started to finally diet. I had lost 25lbs just about. I used to measure how serving sizes exactly too! Would try my hardest not to eat over 1200 calories (that is what I need to eat to lose weight according to MFP, I'm only 5'0!)

However, once I got employed, I had lost the desire.I stopped going to the gym, and I just throw anything together for my lunch. I have more soda now than I did last year, etc.Now, my weight and the way I look is really bothering me!!!

So, basically I am curious as to how many of you have fallen off the bandwagon. How hard was it to get back into losing weight, eating right and exercising while working?

Thanks for any input - I appreciate it.

Glad you stated your height. 1200 is a trigger around here which is totally silly because it is totally relative to RMR and my RMR is barely above that. Such silliness.

Onto your motivation. It's a lifestyle change. You have to want it bad enough. I've always been busy with work and had to fit it in, as most people around here probably do. I find keeping myself busy actually helps. I don't mindlessly eat. My eating has purpose and I'm thoughtful about it, and the purpose is also enjoyment.

Many of us have learned to pack healthy food within our calories budget and make time to go to the gym. Just pick one thing and make it stick. Then another and make it stick, until you find your life changed, your habits changed. But you have to want it bad enough.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You've got to figure out a sustainable, healthy lifestyle for you. Maybe 1200 calories isn't enough. I'm 5'2" and eat over 1700 per day, more on exercise days. That's my maintenance level of calories though, but even when I was losing I ate more than 1500. And eating healthy and exercising makes me feel so much better I don't want to "fall off the wagon". i find it very easy to have treats and not go over my calories.

Figure out what treats are worth it for you, soda probably not, but maybe something else you can fit into your calories and yet not feel deprived.
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Options
    I am still struggling to get back on!!!