working out when you are sick...

Options
So I started feeling under the weather on Friday evening. Still did ballet and an hour long walk yesterday...this morning I felt ten times worse...it feels like the flu. My body aches all over. Hubby is telling me to skip the workout tomorrow......beginning to agree,but that would be the first 5am workout I would have missed in well over a month... :( I would feel gross if I missed two days of exercise but I am feeling pretty rough. What would you do?

Replies

• charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Skip it for a couple of days until you are feeling better. Your body needs the rest. Don't beat yourself up. I recently was ill and couldn't exercise for a week or two. Good luck - hope you get to feeling better.

Charlena
  • natuhlay
    natuhlay Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Get your well needed rest. You won't be giving your workout 100% anyways if you're feeling crappy.
    Plus you will most likely feel worse after a workout when you're sick because of low energy. Your body is using all your energy to help you get over your illness.

Get some sleep, take some meds, eat some soup and feel better! 2 days isn't so bad, you'll be fine! :)
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Rest and recover - the extras stress will slow your recovery - kick butt when your better!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    You have to rest. I know, it sucks. I was recently sick with a flu-like virus that kept me from working out for a week. The good news is once I was better it felt great to get back to the gym!
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Rest so your body can heal. Wearing yourself out will make it take longer to get better & higher risk of injuring yourself if you feel like dog doo
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've got flu-type feelings today, was outside yesterday without a coat in the autumn weather. Been taking it easy today, just can't put my body through exercise when I'm already aching! Hope you feel better :)
  • elsing84
    elsing84 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Your body is trying to tell you to rest and that it needs all your extra energy to fight away this flu so give it a few days while you recover. Hope you feel better soon hun.
  • nehauck
    nehauck Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've always believed in mild exercise when sick helps boost the immune system. Strenuous exercise undermines the immune system. Perhaps you can take a leisurely walk tomorrow afternoon?
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the kind words and friendly advice...it is hard to take time away from it but it is better to wait until I can give it my all. Thanks again and I hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Skip it.
    If you fell you have to do something, what bout spending the time on some stretches?
    I can easily spend an hour doing all my stretches and taking my time.
  • doodles80
    Options
    Listen to your body - if its telling you to rest then rest! Lots of vitamin c. Hope you feel better soon chicken xx
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Skip it.
    If you fell you have to do something, what bout spending the time on some stretches?

Actually that sounds like a great idea...may make my muscles feel better too. The fact that I am skipping my morning coffee two days in a row nd having tea is a sure sign that something's wrong lol.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Skip it.

Actually that sounds like a great idea...may make my muscles feel better too. The fact that I am skipping my morning coffee two days in a row nd having tea is a sure sign that something's wrong lol.
    you sound like me.
    when I'm feeling ill i drink tea (don't normally go near the stuff)

hope you get better soon
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • fairykelly13
    fairykelly13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The body aches and no energy say NO WORKOUT to me.... :-)

A good rule of thumb that I've heard is if it's above the neck (head cold) go ahead and work out, but if it's below the neck (lungs involved, body aches) take time off to heal and get better.....
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    The body aches and no energy say NO WORKOUT to me.... :-)

A good rule of thumb that I've heard is if it's above the neck (head cold) go ahead and work out, but if it's below the neck (lungs involved, body aches) take time off to heal and get better.....

And I'm glad I heeded that advice. I feel so much better today after two good nights sleep and resting. I had so much energy at the gym this morning I could have gone on for hours!
  • kitkat1781
    Options
    Whenever I'm feeling under the weather, I do a low-key workout. Maybe walk on the treadmill or take a walk? That way, you're still getting some exercize and burning some calories, but not overdoing it.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    if it was a cold or something, i would continue to work out. but if your muscles ache, they need rest and thats the best thing you can give them.
  • Scottysgirl87
    Options
    If you workout while you are sick you are more prone to injuries. I would suggest taking a couple days off to get better.
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I would def skip if it's something serious like the flu and your body is aching, and not because it's sore from working out. If it was just a cold or something, I'd push through
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I'd rest-listen to your body, it's telling you it needs some time to sleep and get better